Natural Sound

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wonderfully big move Peter, you’re sailing home in style :) Enjoy!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
  • Haha
Reactions: ddk and howiebrou

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Peter, suspect this was hardly shocking to those with access to back channel communication. Successful move, in any case, no matter how long in premeditation.

Off the top of your head what system changes will this enforce?
For instance, will your vdH cartridges be departing along with the M-S. What cartridge(s) will you have installed?

On the practical side. Might be worth considering a hydraulic lift table with three TT in movement. Even then you might want to liquefy a few steaks to fill out your Haramaki.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It is cool but I've been staring at that logo for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what it is....
Logo was derived from the Kanji character for AS which roughly translates to morning in Japanese but that wasn't the point for us. I had several versions of the ASA character drawn and then stylized it with software, but it stands for AS.

david

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Logo was derived from the Kanji character for AS which roughly translates to morning in Japanese but that wasn't the point for us. I had several versions of the ASA character drawn and then stylized it with software, but it stands for AS.

david
Cool logo ! For a cool TT ! Sorry for the digital vinyl ! ;) 5B6DD4DA-E5AF-414F-BCAC-64BFB2034D84.jpeg

Reactions: ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Both. David offered me the last of the American Sound AS2000 turntables, number 10 of 12. I drove yesterday to the factory where they are produced to pick it up. I will now pack up the Micro Seiki and the original AS1000 and ship them back to Utah. Then I can set up the new turntable.
Talk about putting money in the right place. Way to go Peter. Happy listening.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The original American Sound AS1000 is packed up and crated ready to be shipped back to Utah. It is a sonic marvel and an aesthetic tour de force. The beauty is simply stunning. 50 years old, built and designed in Japan.

I want to thank David Karmeli for giving me the opportunity to listen to this masterpiece in my own system for a month so that I could directly compare it to my extremely good Micro Seiki SX 8000 II. I learned a lot and never heard better sound in my room. A friend and I listened for three hours this afternoon and simply marveled at the music presented alive in the room. He then helped me to disassemble and pack it up.

1658887636940.jpeg

Last edited:

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
So much for the claim that mass kills the sound.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The original American Sound AS1000 is packed up and crated ready to be shipped back to Utah. It is a sonic marvel and an aesthetic tour de force. The beauty is simply stunning. 50 years old, built and designed in Japan.

I want to thank David Karmeli for giving me the opportunity to listen to this masterpiece in my own system for a month so that I could directly compare it to my extremely good Micro Seiki SX 8000 II. I learned a lot and never heard better sound in my room. A friend and I listened for three hours this afternoon and simply marveled at the music presented alive in the room. He then helped me to disassemble and pack it up.

View attachment 96118
Why do you put those wood chips under the tt and motor.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Love
Reactions: rando

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Whose claim was this btw?

Yours,

50kg platter owner.
Some manufacturers of low mass tts have made negative claims regarding higher and high mass ones, generally regarding energy retention and it’s supposed negative effect on sound. Theories that haven’t been backed up with facts or clarification. Of course some audiophiles have bought into this claim.

david

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are you starting a new thread with this subject to update on the progress?

No. There are many threads about this turntable. I especially like Tang’s and Rockitman’s. I plan to write some stuff here.

Besides, some members think I pollute threads talking about natural sound, so this system thread seems to be more of a safe space where I can share my thoughts more or less freely. These AS turntables are all about natural sound. Just more of it.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Enjoy the new beast of a TT in good health, Peter.

Thank you Brian. I appreciate that. I packed up the other two turntables for shipment back to Utah and my back feels fine. Tomorrow’s the big day for unpacking the new one and getting it on my rack. I don’t think my old house can support much more weight.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I packed up the AS 1000 yesterday into two crates and a large box. Today I packed up the Micro Seiki into its flight case and three boxes. Lots of heavy moving and my living room no longer looks like a turntable dealership. My dining room on the other hand has seven big containers ready to be picked up, palletized and shipped back to Utah.

this is the first evening in 25 years that my living room has not had a turntable in it. Shortly after my wife and I bought our house I bought an SME model 10 and Thule CD player. I pulled out the CD player tonight for some tunes and to be able to listen to some of my old jazz CDs. They sound just fine. I particularly like Dave Brubeck, Late night Brubeck, and Clifford Jordan, Live at Ethel‘s.

I rearranged the steel plates on the top shelf so that the AS 2000 will be on the left, further away from the left speaker. It is nice to be able to see the rack again and have easier access to the volume controls without the AS 1000 right in front of the rack.

1658972730456.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Went for a lovely light air sale through the harbor tonight just before sunset. The boat on the right is a classic all wood Concordia yawl from the late 1930s. Lots of natural wood trim and timeless beauty.

View attachment 96137
This is good life Peter. I envy you. The sailing must be the best head clearing machine.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is good life Peter. I envy you. The sailing must be the best head clearing machine.

Sailing is wonderful for many reasons Tang. Head clearing is one of them, especially when you are out there in stormy weather. I often have a Dark & Stormy drink with my wife at the mooring during the sunset. The tragedy is that sailing is only a five month season up here. Audio is twelve months and it can clear heads too, or fill them up with confusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing