Natural Sound

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Thanks Everyone. I understand the issue was solved years ago. Can me move on from that discussion now?
FWIW dept.:
As I understand it, Vladimir Lamm felt the sudden rush of electricity stressed the components and the tubes more than simply leaving them on all the time. He kept his gear on all the time.
If what you say just above is correct, it suggests that you might want to look into this. If they are not installed, its easy for any tech to add them without messing with the amp otherwise.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have designed and begun to build the supplementary rack for the power supplies for the new phonostage. It is a mahogany framework to support two steel plates, one under each supply. It will be on lockable rollers so that I can move it into place. The narrow end will be facing forward to expose the side of the component.

1684531609709.jpeg

1684531763886.jpeg

1684531803810.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lamm electronics are similar. From my M1.2 review at TAB:
Each amplifier uses a biasing circuit designed to achieve the thermal stability of its output transistors and other components. Further evidence of quality is the attention paid to boot time -- perhaps the most precarious moments for any high-powered amplifier. The M1.2 features a soft-start protection circuit where filter capacitors do not receive initial voltage for 2.5 seconds after turn on; then time relays initiate, delaying readiness for one minute to allow warm-up. If internal tests find an issue, the amp turns off and waits; if the issue resolves itself, it turns back on.

The Lamm M1.2 is an hybrid amplifier, having a solid state section and tube components, that have very different warm-up times - tubes are non conductive until the filament get hot and in this condition plate voltages can be very high and vary significantly during warm. It can't be compared with pure tube amplifiers. The 240 second Siegfried II warm up sequence is much more complex than this one - it also checks tubes condition and bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As I understand it, Vladimir Lamm felt the sudden rush of electricity stressed the components and the tubes more than simply leaving them on all the time. He kept his gear on all the time.

Now that it is getting warmer and I do not have air-conditioning, I may turn my gear on/off once a day when listening to keep the room cooler and reassess next winter.

Peter,
I think you are misreading Vladimir Lamm manuals. They just refer to the soft-start circuit avoids the inrush mains current peak, inoffensive to the amplifier but that can be a problem with some poor mains supplies or generate noise or trigger functions in other equipment that is switched on. He also says that the inbuilt delay in applying HV extends tube life, avoiding the effect you claim. It would be ridiculous if a manufacturer of high quality high price electronics could not avoid the effects of switching on and off equipment normally.

Reactions: Argonaut and adyc

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have designed and begun to build the supplementary rack for the power supplies for the new phonostage. It is a mahogany framework to support two steel plates, one under each supply. It will be on lockable rollers so that I can move it into place. The narrow end will be facing forward to expose the side of the component.

View attachment 109743

View attachment 109744

View attachment 109745
Cognatulations - they look great. Are you cutting and building them yourself?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cognatulations - they look great. Are you cutting and building them yourself?

Thank you. Yes I’m doing the whole project myself. It was a challenge because I can’t figure out how to hide the power supplies in my living room which is already overrun by too many black boxes. Sound trumps aesthetics.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sudden in-rush is a real problem, especially in big, high-power tube amps. For my old MB-750s VTL developed outboard, in-line "soft-start" boxes.

No, they were not "soft-start" boxes. They were just the common type of rush limiters incorporated in many amplifiers - a power resistor that after an instant is shunted by a relay that is switched by a power supply. Most amplifiers using big toroidal power transformers have it, as toroidal powers can have high in-rush current.

With the Siegfried IIs there is a 240 second slow-start warm-up sequence upon power on.

Yes, but it also checks and adjusts the amplifier. Annoying, but really very useful!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,
I think you are misreading Vladimir Lamm manuals. They just refer to the soft-start circuit avoids the inrush mains current peak, inoffensive to the amplifier but that can be a problem with some poor mains supplies or generate noise or trigger functions in other equipment that is switched on. He also says that the inbuilt delay in applying HV extends tube life, avoiding the effect you claim. It would be ridiculous if a manufacturer of high quality high price electronics could not avoid the effects of switching on and off equipment normally.

I am not talking about anything in the manual. I’m just following the advice from my dealer DDK who heard it from Vladimir Lamm himself. As I wrote, I may change my practice this summer.

Reactions: Audire

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sheesh.

Current inrush can be controlled by a simple device called

wait for it....

A Current Inrush Limiter.

They cost a dollar or so. No box or special circuitry needed.

We've used them for decades- all of our OTLs (which have a lot of current inrush) use them. You can turn them on and off as much as you like no worries. CILs are a kind of thermistor with an inverse resistance characteristic- when cold their resistance is high, when hot their resistance is low. Not only does this take care of all issues regarding tube warmup (we do have a Standby Switch to prevent cathode stripping during warmup- it has its own CIL) and filter capacitor charging, it also helps switch contacts to survive. They are very reliable- we've never had one fail ever.

Why would a designer not use this sort of thing?? I'm serious- you need a really good excuse for this one.

Ralph,

This simple solution is only possible if we find acceptable to include the current inrush limiter is series with the mains and transformer primary. Many designers - and audiophiles :) - consider it inadmissible.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am not talking about anything in the manual. I’m just following the advice from my dealer DDK who heard it from Vladimir Lamm himself. As I wrote, I may change my practice this summer.

Well, I just report on what Vladimir Lamm wrote in his manuals and my opinion on a technical subject. Having to choose between the arguments of the designer, that seems technically correct, or the dealer advice I would follow the first. You are surely free to follow your preference.

BTW , I remember that old class A Krell amplfiers sounded best after a full day warm-up. I have tried to discuss technically the whys of this aspect several times, no one was able to give me a solid technical reason with proper data of such behavior.

Reactions: Argonaut

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

View attachment 109743

View attachment 109744

View attachment 109745
Aesthetics aside (as if :eek: ).. still managed with lovely proportions Peter.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Aesthetics aside (as if :eek: ).. still managed with lovely proportions Peter.

Thank you Graham. The proportions were dictated by the dimensions of the supples (14” X 19”) and 6” clearance for circulation and the narrow space in which I will need to roll this 200+ lbs loaded rack. It is 14W X 22”D X 16.5”H.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Thank you Graham. The proportions were dictated by the dimensions of the supples (14” X 19”) and 6” clearance for circulation and the narrow space in which I will need to roll this 200+ lbs loaded rack. It is 14W X 22”D X 16.5”H.
It’s looks great Peter. Looking forward to the end result!

Reactions: PeterA

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
Before this discussion strays any further from the IP's intention, I would like to weigh in.

I've had the unusual good fortune to audition, listen to and learn from Peter's methodical approach through virtually all iterations of his system.

Having experienced the introduction of the Lamm LP1 into Peter's system has been revelatory.

While I have essentially the same electronics in my own listening room, my front end is a Micro Seiki 8000-II / SME 3012-R / Air Tight Supreme-- nothing to apologize for, but by no measure the AS2000 ( yes, I have heard them compared directly, in this same system ), and my speakers are neither as full range nor as efficient as Peter's Vitavox CN-191 corner horns. Thus when I listen at home, I likely hear slightly greater distortion at commensurate volume levels, and music is presented with noticeably less palpable authority, less 'plausible undeniability'.

With that as a baseline, I should add that I have been privileged to experience more than 40 hours' listening on DDK's system, which means I have pre-existing experience with the Lamm LP1, in tandem with the most remarkable AS2000 turntable, as at Peter's.

Peter's system with the LP 2.1 Deluxe phono preamp still sounded like an audio system, with moments of transcendent listening. In fact, one such moment in the LP 2.1 iteration of the system was so vivid, so beautiful and so compelling that it brought me to pick up my guitar again, after a 30 year hiatus. I experienced a moment of synesthesia that has otherwise only happened during meditation, performing or creating art.

With the LP1 in place --just as Peter states-- differences are immediately obvious. I won't try to characterize them, save to say that the boundaries of the room and the limits of the system have been sloughed like a snake skin shed. What came away was slightly translucent, and not unpleasant, but what remains now I find more consistently compelling than before, and even more fluid, repeatedly at that same sensually engaging level that a previous 'musical moment' caused me to take up my instrument again.

Peter said among his first observations about the LP1 that there was "more". I must add that there Was more, but that it was also better, and better by far.

I have for some time said that I don't know what I've been missing ( in audio, in an engine, in live musical experience ) until I hear it.

I heard it when Peter introduced the LP1 into his system. And I practiced guitar again this morning --even though I'm sick-- inspired again to live in and with music as much as I can discipline myself to do.

...And for those who don't know me, ANYthing that can press me into Any form of self-discipline is redoubtable, as a force of nature.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, they were not "soft-start" boxes.

"Soft-start" box is literally what VTL called it. Why are you arguing about something so trivial?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I remember that old class A Krell amplfiers sounded best after a full day warm-up.

What methodologically and analytically valid blind testing did you implement to quantify and verify sonic improvements among a 12 hour warm-up versus an 18 hour warm-up versus a 24 hour warm-up?

Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What methodologically and analytically valid blind testing did you implement to quantify and verify sonic improvements among a 12 hour warm-up versus an 18 hour warm-up versus a 24 hour warm-up?
Ron, you sure you have the right forum?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Francisco often holds members' feet to the fire of precision, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that there was academic-quality data backing up his assertion.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing