Natural Sound

I don't think you can use Munich to make any compelling argument for horns. First, it is a EU trade show. Most homes in the EU counties have smaller spaces for the majority of folks who want to set up music reproduction systems. Horns are attractive to those buyers which speaks to the commercial success of horns in the EU that we do see here in the States. What is clear to anyone attending Munich is that a huge swath of the market that show caters to are distributors, dealers and retail customers in Asia including Japan, which also have smaller homes where horns may be a fine choice for room and budget. Second, have you heard the horns at Munich? Very few of them sounded anything remotely near "very good" and most were in shambles. It was quite clear that the worst sounding displays at Munich were extremely unimpressive high priced horn systems. In fact, aside from the Cessaro and Lorenzo exhibits, most deserved more ridicule than praise.

It's certainly your preogative to prefer horns. But you shouldn't cite Munich as an example to support your choice. After living in "horn world" for 3 days, I certainly came away less impressed than I would have hoped. I'll bet you would have as well.

Lots of inconsistencies there Marty. Horns are better in big spaces, I already said most of the horns at Munich don’t sound good, and I cited Munich only as a direct reply to a question “what % of rooms at a show are horns”. I seldom audition horns or any components at shows nor recommend anyone to, apart from WE

Last edited:
A key for me was recognizing what I wanted and gaining sufficient exposure to realise its possibility. I was part of the way there once I knew Lamm which I had throughout my Wilson days. Exposure to horns took longer. Some of that was a result of being a reviewer as the first two publications I wrote for assigned what I was to write about. (Now I choose, thank you Positive Feedback.) I was exposed to a regular stream of different gear but it was gear chosen for the American audiophile market, which today is still not a robust horn market though that is changing somewhat. Six years ago I started this thread and ended up with a vintage solution thanks to David.

As much as being exposed to equipment possibilities it was the realisation and commitment to use live acoustic music as my reference. Before that it was the organic orange which eventually I grew out of. A sort of coming back to my roots -- not disimilar to what you write about Bill.
Can you elaborate on the distinction between the live acoustic music reference and the Organic Orange?

I didn’t mean to imply they sounded similar. Mine admittedly is not in the same league as Peter’s or Tim’s, and they sound different from each other, however there is a family resemblance.

Mark, all that matters is that you like your system. I think the video sounds great. It’s a well thought out system, carefully assembled. It’s the final result at the listening seat that matters. And your opinion is the most important. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

A key is to know what you want. Then it is more of a recognition than an epiphany.
It is a journey for many audiophiles.
I agree it is a journey! Perhaps we know what we want or at least think we do, but as we build our system with that goal in mind we likely explore many different paths. Along the way we experience new knowledge, equipment & music and become better listeners, sometimes that goal is changed.

I for one am enjoying my journey! Do I really have any idea of what's best or how to get there? Well I do have a general plan and I know what I like but what's best is obviously open to debate. So actually the idea of something being the best isn't that important to me. The conversation about what's best is important though because that gives us insight into what we might like to explore next on our individual journeys!

Reactions: tima
That is why I think everyone should try their hand at on location recording since they will know how the recording is supposed to sound.

A live event is a fleeting moment. What our brain stores as memories of a live event may not be sufficient to evaluate a system's performance.

If you have a good microphone, and a good pair of headphones, record your system, then compare that recording through headphones to the original. Then listen to your system again to check how different it sounds to your recording or the original on headphones, and so on. Be prepared to weep!

Or you can just listen to your system and ask yourself if you enjoy it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing