Natural Sound

A live event is a fleeting moment. What our brain stores as memories of a live event may not be sufficient to evaluate a system's performance.

If you have a good microphone, and a good pair of headphones, record your system, then compare that recording through headphones to the original. Then listen to your system again to check how different it sounds to your recording or the original on headphones, and so on. Be prepared to weep!

Or you can just listen to your system and ask yourself if you enjoy it.
I got a musician to play in front of a pair of mics and fed those into the system. We then went back and forth between the audio room and the musician's room. This was to get an idea of the tonality and a step in creating a reference. The tricky bit was the room the musician was in was clearly audible in the listening room.
What an entre to Beethoven's 6th Symphony, "The Pastorale". I can't resist - it's one of my very favorites. Here is true program music, illustrative music. B wrote a title at the beginning of each movement.

[snip]

My fav is Cluytens. HMV ASD 433
Mine has always been Bruno Walter since I grew up with that. I'll have to look for a decent press of the Cluytens.

Sound is natural when it is reminiscent of the sound of live unamplified instruments.

Accurate is exact reproduction of what is on the recording.
I like this definition, as it shows the difference between the two terms as they relate to audio reproduction.

“Sound is natural when reminiscent of the sound of un-amplified instruments”.
This, IMHO, is exactly what Peter (myself too) is looking for. We want to (please pardon my use of the phrase) “suspend our disbelief”, reproduce the natural tone, timbre, size, dynamics and presence of the acoustic event in our music rooms.

“Accurate is exact reproduction of what is on the recording”.
How well a sound engineer masters a recording, I believe more than the replay equipment, determines whether the music sounds natural or not when played. Who cares if a system accurately plays what was mastered to the recording if the recording engineer messed it up and it sounds crap?

I like this definition, as it shows the difference between the two terms as they relate to audio reproduction.

This, IMHO, is exactly what Peter (and me) is looking for. We want to (please pardon my use of the phrase) “suspend our disbelief”, reproduce the natural tone, timbre, size and presence of the acoustic event.

“Accurate is exact reproduction of what is on the recording”.
How well a sound engineer masters a recording, I believe more than the replay equipment, determines whether the music sounds natural or not when played. Who cares if a system accurately plays what was mastered to the recording if the recording engineer messed it up and it sounds crap?
Unless you are using a direct microphone feed, you are playing back a recording.

If the recording is purist in nature, perhaps using 2 mics with no extra EQ, limiting, compression or DSP, and if its a recording of acoustic instruments, then if the playback is accurate it will also be natural.

But that does not change regardless of the recording. The best you can possibly do is be true to the recording. If the playback is true to the recording it will be natural because its accurate and accurate because its natural. They are the same thing.

If the playback is true to the recording it will be natural because its accurate and accurate because its natural. They are the same thing.
What? You must of studied rhetoric!

Typically these days, the sound engineer collects recordings from musicians recording in different studios, perhaps different countries, and marries them together on a computer.

Timing and key might need serious manipulation in order to get the song to sound like it was recorded in one setting. The final product is finalised as a DSD master and that used to press vinyl or CDs. The vinyl (and CDs once decoded) will likely be very accurate in fidelity to what was finalised to the DSD master, but no matter how much manipulation is done, it will never sound natural. In fact the more manipulation the less likely.

https://theproaudiofiles.com/combining-recordings-from-different-studios/

Reactions: PeterA and Lagonda

Typically these days, the sound engineer collects recordings from musicians recording in different studios, perhaps different countries, and marries them together on a computer.

Timing and key might need serious manipulation in order to get the song to sound like it was recorded in one setting. The final product is finalised as a DSD master and that used to press vinyl or CDs. The vinyl (and CDs once decoded) will likely be very accurate in fidelity to what was finalised to the DSD master, but no matter how much manipulation is done, it will never sound natural. In fact the more manipulation the less likely.

That might happen and it might not but does not matter because in the end, the best the system can do is be true to the recording. If that is so, it will be accurate and if accurate its also natural. You can't have one without the other because they are the same.

That might happen and it might not but does not matter because in the end, the best the system can do is be true to the recording. If that is so, it will be accurate and if accurate its also natural. You can't have one without the other because they are the same.
Saying the same thing over and over again achieves nothing, try a different approach if you sincerely believe what you are saying.

Reactions: PeterA

but who among us here use that stuff as any sort of reference?

even the mouth breathing mono brows see that as guilty pleasure stuff.....the cotton candy of music. we do enjoy it plenty when it hits the spot. it is ok to like it.

This, IMHO, is exactly what Peter (myself too) is looking for. We want to (please pardon my use of the phrase) “suspend our disbelief”, reproduce the natural tone, timbre, size, dynamics and presence of the acoustic event in our music rooms.

Ahhhhh … Now I see so clearly now , I simply wasn’t aware of just how special you two truly are , What on earth were the rest of us forum plebeian's thinking of all this time , La !

Well … If nothing else , this outpouring Of ‘Natural Gas’ has given @Rensselaer a new found purpose in life , We can but grip our seats in anticipation of the publishing of his Ghostwritten autobiography of the OP ‘s fascinating life and times .

Last edited:
Ahhhhh … Now I see so clearly now , I simply wasn’t aware of just how special you two truly are , What on earth were the rest of us forum plebeian's thinking of all this time , La !

Well … If nothing else , this outpouring Of ‘Natural Gas’ has given @Rensselaer a new found purpose in life , We can but grip our seats in anticipation of the publishing of his Ghostwritten autobiography of the OP ‘s fascinating life and times .
Get over yourself.

I may not know much about “natural” vs “accurate” and arguimg about the semanthics or whatever, but clearly @Atmasphere comments come from a place of serious knowledge and understanding of both music and music reproduction.

And while most go around in circles arguing over the same interpretation or misinterpretation in this thread, if you have some knowledge of acoustics and engineering (which I do) his are the only posts informative and meaningful enough to actually learn something from for at least the last half a dozen pages of this thread.

While I like “hi fi banter” as much as the next guy let’s just not have the most vocal crowds kill constructive dialogue in this thread by beating a dead horse (e.g. “Horns are God vs. horns are the false prophet” “natural is what bees make vs natural is processed sugar if you look at it under the right light” etc.)

Sorry for getting too high on my horse, but I felt like I had to say this. I’ll shut up now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atmasphere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing