Natural Sound

Bass Bass black sheep…

Has nothing to with bass.

BTW, I once wrote about a horn system being best in Show:

So much for your falsehood of me not liking horns.

I am thrilled that Peter has found his definition of natural sound. Many an audiophile should be so lucky to get off the upgrade train. I really like the Lamm electronics that I have first hand experience with (I own modified LP2 and LL2 but they live on my reserves bench). But based on Peter’s many YouTube videos, I suspect that corner-loaded horns aren’t for me. I prefer a more open, lively and dynamic sound which (to me) more closely approximates what I hear from a full symphony orchestra in the concert hall. Nothing wrong with preferring something different but clearly proclaiming that one way is the only right (or natural) way rubs many people the wrong way. For the record, I don’t have an inherent dislike of hornspeakers. I very much enjoyed older generation Avantgarde Trios (despite the flawed sealed sub cabinets) driven by a full suite of Kondo electronics (and cables) and a 47Labs digital source while a newer generation set of Trios driven by Datrzeel electronics just wasn’t my cup of tea. In fact, I preferred Trios driven by Tom Evans electronics to the Dartzeel electronics in the same room.

Reactions: Argonaut
Nothing wrong with preferring something different but clearly proclaiming that one way is the only right (or natural) way rubs many people the wrong way.

I don't think PeterA proclaims that. But others do, when they imply that people who don't recognize the superiority of that technology don't have sufficient experience of live acoustical instruments...

The state of things that SETs with efficient speakers are superior, in your view?

Nice try. I like my ML2 with my corner horns and that’s what this thread is about. You are the one who is shrugging. I don’t get it, but for some reason you can’t resist coming on here or on video threads and complaining about what other people are enjoying.

Reactions: Rexp
But based on Peter’s many YouTube videos, I suspect that corner-loaded horns aren’t for me. I prefer a more open, lively and dynamic sound which (to me) more closely approximates what I hear from a full symphony orchestra in the concert hall.
Corner horns are used for a specific room reason, or aesthetics, or both. What speaker that gives open, lively, and dynamic sound for full symphony do you recommend in a 15*15 room that is not dedicated, but is a living room?

Ps: I would suggest audionec Evo 2 with similar higher power SETs. And a Garrard or a 124. Your choice?

Has nothing to with bass.

BTW, I once wrote about a horn system being best in Show:

So much for your falsehood of me not liking horns.

You are so serious you didn’t even get the pun

Corner horns are used for a specific room reason, or aesthetics, or both. What speaker that gives open, lively, and dynamic sound for full symphony do you recommend in a 15*15 room that is not dedicated, but is a living room?

Ps: I would suggest audionec Evo 2 with similar higher power SETs. And a Garrard or a 124. Your choice?
In a relatively small, square room I would choose a sealed box active speaker with active crossover, room gain compensation, parametric EQ for taming the most offensive peak between 30 and 300 Hz, and the ability to adjust the relative levels of low, mid and hi frequency ranges (all in the analog domain). Flavour with tube pre and phono, my choice would be Lamm. This is not a hypothetical, I have had such a system myself.

I would steer clear of ported bass alignment in a small room. Yes, I know that Peter’s former Magico speakers were sealed but they also used complex passive crossovers (also not a fan of those).

Reactions: bonzo75
Nice try. I like my ML2 with my corner horns and that’s what this thread is about. You are the one who is shrugging. I don’t get it, but for some reason you can’t resist coming on here or on video threads and complaining about what other people are enjoying.

What? I was shrugging at Brad's (morricab's) implications that SETs/horns are superior. One thing led to another from there. I have never complained about people enjoying SETs/horns! I just don't like to be told by people like Brad and Bonzo what to like.

Can you please answer my question, Peter, instead of deflecting and twisting things? "Nice try" doesn't cut it.

What? I was shrugging at Brad's (morricab's) implications that SETs/horns are superior. One thing led to another from there. I have never complained about people enjoying SETs/horns! I just don't like to be told by people like Brad and Bonzo what to like.

Can you please answer my question, Peter, instead of deflecting and twisting things? "Nice try" doesn't cut it.
I have never told you what to like. You like digital, inefficient speakers, not trying new stuff, and don't like videos.

I have never told you what to like. You like digital, inefficient speakers, not trying new stuff, and don't like videos.

I am certain others will very much disagree with your first statement. Your zealotry on the forum is well known.

I like any speakers that sound good, also very efficient speakers, including the horns that, as I posted the link in a post on top of this page, thought were best in show for me at AXPONA 2017. I just made a different choice, that's all. Also, "inefficient speakers" is in the eyes of the beholder. Mine can comfortably and authoritatively be driven by an about 80 W/ch tube amp.

As for "not trying new stuff": No, I don't follow your peculiar wishes if that's what you mean (you do).

Actually, I am more of a SETs (or more generally amps that are single ended rather than push/pull or balanced) are a superior form of amplification (or other single ended topologies that similarly don't use feedback) all things being equal and in the here and now of the 21st century where a linear amplification device does not exist.

I like horns because, when done well, they can get the best out of this amplification type. However, I like all well done high sensitivity speakers, including cones/domes in a box if sufficiently easy to drive (Like Living Voice OBX-RW speakers...for example...Grandinote Mach speakers or the original Wilson X1). So, I am not married to horns, although I find having a compression driver on high frequency with a horn/waveguide often adds to the realism of the sound over other tweeter types.

I guess you could say I am an electronics first, rather than a speaker first, audiophile. If I am not mistaken, both TimA and Peter are similarly motivated, having found the the profound importance of electronics with an absence of "synthetic" sound artifacts on the realism of reproduction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing