Natural Sound

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So you wink, or roll your eyes, or stick your tongue out during conversations with people?

I would prefer it, because doing so with care should provide clearer intent.

Writing and speaking often leads to misunderstandings. But there can be a dialog and explanations leading to clarity. Less so with emojis. Does the laughing emoji mean he thinks your comment is funny or ridiculous, or you’ve got eggs on you face? Is he laughing out loud or quietly to himself? Does the roll eyes emoji mean your reader is bored or rediculous? Does the thumbs up mean you agree, ok you understand, you like something a lot or a little? Or are you just agreeing with your buddy because he is arguing with someone you can’t stand?

People want to be clever by being vague, open to interpretation or inference but not definitive. It is safer. Members insult each other all the time and end the post with a wink to be safe or avoid being reported. Wink, no worries mate. You are an idiot. Or, hearts in my eyes: I love you bro, I have a man crush man. I agree with you 1000%. That’s great, you just checkmated that fool.

Emojis enable one to respond very quickly and not have to spend the time or mental effort to compose a clear and articulate response to better convey meaning. We used to say that something is funny for these reasons. Then, wow, that’s funny. Then, in the screen age, simply LOL. Now it is a laughing face like the tween girls use.

The introduction of emojis here on this forum has led in my view to a general decline in cordiality, tribal factions, and misunderstandings. The tone and tenor of the discourse has declined. We came as curios hobbyists and are now ranked with points in different charts, everything collected, and to report that we are not really equal. Reaction scores? Who comes up with this stuff? Some very clever people.
Peter I’m middle path on emojis, for me it’s more about how they are used. They can be a tool for good or for evil.

Not everyone loves writing quite as much as some and if they add an additional layer of understanding or help better express the spirit of a paragraph of text a bit by clarifying intent that’s always potentially good for me. I find there needs to be latitude in understanding varying individual perceptual modalities when it comes to how people communicate.

I do like the crack me up kind of good spirited comment supported with light hearted well meaning expressions inserted with positive consideration.

My least favourite is the smug winkie used to punctuate a condescending or superior kind of remark, shortly followed by the disturbing red angry threatening aggressive face emoji… most of the others can at times be either positive, benign or indeed just silly meaningless depending on context and usage. Out of respect not a single emoji has been harmed in the making of this post btw. But for me they can build on understanding and add colour and don’t have to be harmful or diminish the nature of communication, that’s usually more a function of the writer.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
But for me they can build on understanding and add colour and don’t have to be harmful or diminish the nature of communication, that’s usually more a function of the writer.

For a while there Graham you were the Jack of Yikes. :-o

I still prefer the text emoticons - they are sooo analog.
And the occasional roflmao.

((d[-_-]b)) ...headphones

Reactions: Bobvin

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
For a while there Graham you were the Jack of Yikes. :-o

I still prefer the text emoticons - they are sooo analog.
And the occasional roflmao.

((d[-_-]b)) ...headphones
I do love a good yike : ) … with all the natural things that can kill you in this country we Australians are easily horrified.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: Amir

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Ella Fitzgerald is superlative. Change nothing.

Thank you Tim. That is a great album and she is a great singer. Tough not to love the music.

I loosened the thread connecting motor pulley/flywheel to platter for even less influence between the two. The platter just spins silently with a very light hand from the excellent motor. The result is less sound from the turntable system, more music. The listening experience is relaxed, yet very engaging.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Nice to have you back Peter !

Reactions: dcathro

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
A remastered and alternative lyric version of Black Sabbath's Planet Caravan. I am making vinyl recordings to stream to my truck radio when driving to work.

Thanks Peter for sharing them, it’s very easy to fall into the flow of both these pieces, always a great sign.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ron introduced me to Thelma Houston's "I've Got the Music in Me". That LP and particular song has become a kind of boogey standard for me. Then Tima shared a recording on his new system of Blood, Sweat & Tears classic "Spinning Wheel" cut. I had forgotten how much I enjoy that song. I found an original NM copy. The whole album is excellent. Here is a recent video:

Reactions: Amir and tima

jdza

May 3, 2010
Like before, I do not wish to pollute the thread or comment on the system. It is very fine. As a horn traveller for close to 3 decades, I remain fascinated at how different various horns can sound. I really spark fury on my side if "Industry experts" generalise.

For the record. I do not have this on vinyl, fine or otherwise. The replay is therefore the lowliest of the low: a 7.5 ips 1/4 track commercial release from back then. 2. To try and get the playing field straight it is a simple iPhone (not current) with no extra microphones.

The purpose, again is only to show differences in horns, not what is better than what. For the record, I have a pair of fettled and modified K Horns and the recorded sound is very close to the original video. Not as refined of course for the ancillaries in the original are impeccable

LMR-Miguel

Oct 19, 2023
Sintra, Portugal
Apologies for the abrupt interruption (Hi, I'm Miguel from Sintra, Portugal and I'm a passionate builder/designer who follows audio note japan's ethos) This is spotify (through a highly upgraded ANK DAC5.1 Signature, a Kondo Ongaku inspired amp and a pair of stock AvantGarde Duo Omegas) also recorded with a phone

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Your video sounds good @LMR-Miguel. I like yours the most of the ones on this thread (although comparing videos over my IPhone isn’t particularly meaningful).

Playing my copy over my horn system brings back memories from when I bought the record back in the late 1960s, but I can’t say the music has held up well for me. Maybe it’s just that my tastes have changed. In any event that record introduced me to Erik Satie so that’s worth something!

LMR-Miguel

Oct 19, 2023
Sintra, Portugal
Your video sounds good @LMR-Miguel. I like yours the most of the ones on this thread (although comparing videos over my IPhone isn’t particularly meaningful).

Playing my copy over my horn system brings back memories from when I bought the record back in the late 1960s, but I can’t say the music has held up well for me. Maybe it’s just that my tastes have changed. In any event that record introduced me to Erik Satie so that’s worth something!
Thank you for your kind words: Yes, I agree and often wonder how meaningful these phone recordings are (particularly in the bass region where the tiny phone mics are easily overpowered/saturated and how that in turn pollutes the overall recording). Take for instance this recording I just took of my same system playing vinyl:

the bass sounds bloated in the recording, but listening to it in my room it sounded nothing but "just right" :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you for your kind words: Yes, I agree and often wonder how meaningful these phone recordings are (particularly in the bass region where the tiny phone mics are easily overpowered/saturated and how that in turn pollutes the overall recording). Take for instance this recording I just took of my same system playing vinyl:

the bass sounds bloated in the recording, but listening to it in my room it sounded nothing but "just right" :)
Yes, agree with the phone overload...I commented on this quite some time ago that I thought it was distorting what comes out.

Reactions: LMR-Miguel

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing