Need some Lampi help please

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Christoph, they're about 40 bucks each. Unless you're buying enough for the entire country of Lichtenstein, I think you can handle it! :cool:
I was more thinking of the shipping costs

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
From personal experience tube dampers have their pros and cons. While they may reduce microphonics, they also changed the sound, sometimes to the negative.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
From personal experience tube dampers have their pros and cons. While they may reduce microphonics, they also changed the sound, sometimes to the negative.
Please elaborate

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
The tubes almost look like bracket-ed teenagers :p
Are the dampers around the sockets necessary as well or more to ease the mind while at it?
Damon and I both thought it sounded better with the lower dampers

Reactions: christoph

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
I never considered putting them around the bases. GREAT idea!! Will do.
Shit Marty.....
I apologize if I didn't mention that:(

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Please elaborate

In my pre-amp I found that the tube dampers closed down the sound. I much preferred it without the dampers. I didn't have much of a microphony issue so it wasn't a hard decision to take them off.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
In my pre-amp I found that the tube dampers closed down the sound. I much preferred it without the dampers. I didn't have much of a microphony issue so it wasn't a hard decision to take them off.

No but you do have some microphony issue otherwise you wouldn't have heard a difference.

And that's exactly it. A bit of microphony can sound pretty damn good.

It's in your pick up cartridge. It's in the microphones used on stage. It's in amplified and unamplified (to a much less noticeable extent) stringed instruments. And drum kits. Etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Had these years ago Chris!
Really?
And didn't say a word?
Will you bring them next time?
Are you still using them with the Pacific as well or only with the GG?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
i mentioned them years ago. I even misplaced them with recent movement of gear...no chance to look for them recently.

I consider them an insurance policy...but I only ever noticed microphony with defective tubes that rattle when shaken like my old kr px4. Btw, i dont like any px4.

Marty wants to know what is the diff between KR 242 and the RK version. IIRC, the RK is less wild and aggressive than the KR....but i only have the KR. Either you or Goran have both.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i mentioned them years ago. I even misplaced them with recent movement of gear...no chance to look for them recently.

I consider them an insurance policy...but I only ever noticed microphony with defective tubes that rattle when shaken like my old kr px4. Btw, i dont like any px4.

Marty wants to know what is the diff between KR 242 and the RK version. IIRC, the RK is less wild and aggressive than the KR....but i only have the KR. Either you or Goran have both.

The KR if you think is aggressive, is improperly set up which is why you don't like it

Reactions: LampiNA

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The KR if you think is aggressive, is improperly set up which is why you don't like it
Not really...we did a shootout months ago in Liecht with GG1.9 and demo Pac. 242 vs rk 300b vs px25. The other guys liked 242 better than I did. 242 was at its best in GG. 300b was at its best in Pac...but px25 was overall winner to me in both dacs.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Goran has both kr and rk 242...i think. I am sure he has rk and i have kr....so in Jan we can compare again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not really...we did a shootout months ago in Liecht with GG1.9 and demo Pac. 242 vs rk 300b vs px25. The other guys liked 242 better than I did. 242 was at its best in GG. 300b was at its best in Pac...but px25 was overall winner to me in both dacs.

I have heard 2 Pac with RK 300b one of them in different set ups. The tube has a very artificial sound.

The same Pac with 242 in Heihei's set up with audionet was just the best source I heard, period.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
KR PX25 is best in most setups for me. I now have RK Px25 and will try that soon.

RK 300B was not great in GG, better in Pac.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

I don't remember you using tube dampers :oops:

I'm not a fan of the PX4 myself :rolleyes:

I had first the regular KR 242 and then (now) the RK 242, but not at the same time.
From memory I would say the RK 242 are a little bit more refined while the regular KR 242 are more dynamic and explosive...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing