Network Acoustics - Tempus network switch

Hi guys. Couple questions:

1. Has anyone tried Tempus daisy chained with a fibre-optic media converters (FMC) in the same chain? Asking because I’m currently using an FMC (from Reiki Audio with Finisar SFP and Corning optical cable) tight before my switch.

2. Can the Tempus be connected to an external reference clock?

Thanks.
Franco

Last edited:
1. Has anyone tried Tempus daisy chained with a fibre-optic media converters (FMC) in the same chain? Asking because I’m currently using an FMC (from Reiki Audio with Finisar SFP and Corning optical cable) tight before my switch.
Yes. I was using a Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe V2 with a Farad Super3 with Furutech Inlet and SR Purple upgrades, AudioQuest Monsoon power cord as well as Finisar SFPs. But didn't provide any improvement to using just the Tempus with Ethernet connections.

Reactions: Frankie67
Yes. I was using a Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe V2 with a Farad Super3 with Furutech Inlet and SR Purple upgrades, AudioQuest Monsoon power cord as well as Finisar SFPs. But didn't provide any improvement to using just the Tempus with Ethernet connections.
Thanks Jason. Have you also tried placing the FMC before the router?

I would like to hear (and see - I’m a videophile too) the Tempus against the Nordost QNET/Source. The Qnet is one of the few switches that is a new, clean sheet design specifically for audio, the complete opposite of what some said earlier in this thread.

The Qnet is one of the few switches that is a new, clean sheet design
Other than that it is on a circular PCB, virtually no technical details of the Qnet have yet been shown.
I have yet to see any interior photos of these $3,200 and $4,200 switches, so it is pretty hard to confirm much actual technical innovation.

What’s the latest on the EtherRegen 2? :D

Reactions: Pokey77
Other than that it is on a circular PCB, virtually no technical details of the Qnet have yet been shown.
I have yet to see any interior photos of these $3,200 and $4,200 switches, so it is pretty hard to confirm much actual technical innovation.

There are multiple interviews online with the designer. But they are not giving away near enough tech info like you do on your designs!!

IMG_5081.jpeg

I always was reluctant to consider a different switch in my system. I thought that pairing two units of the same brand was the correct way to implement an audio network, Innuos Statement server/streamer and Innuos PhoenixNET switch in my case. Easy peazy!
When I tried the Muon Pro filter from Network Acoustics for the first time I realized that in digital domain we have to keep an open mind. There are no rules and absolutes, we have to learn yet.
This is the reason why I was excited to try the Tempus switch, maybe it would have broken my one-brand-only-rule (or confirm it, since I already have the Muon Pro in my chain).

Once introduced the Tempus in my system I immediately noticed a profounder and blacker background (I know, I know… an obvious sentence in these cases… just like I didn’t know such a black silence because I never heard it before bla bla). But it was there and easy to hear, period. It implied also a lot more details and micro dynamics, and a big smile on my face.
It clearly appeared the perfect synergy between Muon Pro and Tempus, as expected the same “sound signature” was evident, or better that kind of effectiveness in reducing noise, with all the desired benefits as logical consequence.

One of the best qualities of the PhoenixNET is the naturalness and the realism that is capable of, that I really love. It was immediately clear that the Tempus was able to bring the same effect (no coloration or “digital feeling” at all).
First box, checked!

What I didn't like was the bass, according to my first impressions, too slow and compressed.
But the mids were so realistic, open and airy that I decided to postpone any conclusions and simply enjoy the music I was hearing with such immersive tones.
Second box, mmm on standby.

And the voice, oh that voice right in front of me, so real, so palpable and vibrant, every breath defined the singer's facial expression, every word so rich and natural. How beautiful!
Third box, checked.

A wider soundstage doesn't necessarily mean better quality, but in this case I liked the result of a slightly more extended sound to the sides. Just enough to appear as realistic as possible. And a nice separation of instruments on the stage. All well proportioned, so to speak! Little details emerged here and there, never heard before in my uber familiar tracks that I use for reference. Light touches of cymbals, echoes of plucked strings, soft reverberations from the space of the venue. Small things, great pleasure.

Compared to the Tempus, my previous PhoenixNET began to appear darker, dryer and more veiled to my ears and above all with a somewhat recessed image. Indeed once I got used to the Tempus, it was clearer to me what the new switch was capable of: the music started to flow easily, with a well-balanced and organic, fresh and relaxed sense of pace and rhythm. Truly a pleasure to listen to, engaging and harmonious in its simplicity. I had a feeling of contentment and tranquility!

After the first 36 hours of listening, the doubts initially found about the bass were finally resolved. As if they had slowly melted with the running-in, becoming tighter and faster, better linked to the other frequencies and above all much much more enveloping and rounded. They lost that sort of dryness and became rich and textured. The sense of liquidity and harmony gradually grew, increasing the sensation of pleasantness, harmony and ease of listening.

The sound never appeared excessively bright, anything but forced or fatiguing despite clarity and transparency often tend to bring out increasingly richer details, minute and imperceptible details or nuances that risk to have contraindications like sterilized artificial effects. This is not the case, the general feeling has never been compromised by the typical "hifi" sound, on the contrary the naturalness of the musical representation has always been decidedly appreciable. I would say that the best quality of the Tempus is precisely in the noise reduction, such a silent background I believe is the real reason why all the other pleasant attributes found when listening were able to emerge. I would say that knowing the Muon Pro filter, the improvement brought by the Tempus goes exactly in the same direction.

IMG_5084.jpeg

Physically both the units are rock solid and really well built, I’d suggest to NA considering the PSU/switch of the same form factor in order to let them stacked with the power supply under the Tempus. Why? Because of the heavy weight of many audiophile power cords normally plugged into the IEC inlet, that may cause instability issues when placed upon the switch chassis, being the PSU lighter than some enormous cables.
Having enough room on my rack I preferred placing the units separated side by side on the same shelf, in that way it was certainly easier to handle the cables behind but I also got the impression to gain an even better black background. Curiously I had the feeling of an higher level of volume as a consequence.
NA intentionally ommitted the inclusion of earthing post in Tempus’ design. In their opinion one of the reasons Tempus sounds as good as it does, is due to its completely unique power supply and power implementation design. They told me “The way the filtratiion is designed means there is no benefit to earthing either the power supply or the switch”.

I could easily live with my PhoenixNET for years to come, it just sounded so natural and realistic, I loved it! But after listening to the Tempus, oh, now I understand how it is possible to elevate my pleasure even more. My comparison in this review is not meant to find a winner, after all music and our enjoyment should be the real winners in this hobby. It’s a matter of personal taste and I’m pretty sure my ears prefer the sound of the Tempus switch, for a variety of reasons, the most significant of which is thatI I like what I hear better, what else?

IMG_5089.jpeg

All the evaluations carried out refer to the same pre-existing set up, therefore with the Muon Pro between the router and the switch. This is to have a direct comparison with the system configuration using the PhoenixNET.
I also experimented with the Tempus by placing the Muon Pro, as NA usually recommends, between the switch and the streamer. This involved changing the Ethernet cables I was actually using (Pink Faun Interlink on the router side and STEALTH on the streamer) due to their different lengths.

Here are my thoughts:

Muon Streaming > STEALTH Ultra + Pro (SCORE 7,5)
Plus = openness | voice
Minus = liquidity | soundstage width | separation

STEALTH Ultra > Muon Streaming + Pro (SCORE 8)
Plus = voice | detail | airy
Minus = liquidity | realism

STEALTH Ultra > Pink Faun Interlink + Pro (SCORE 9!!!)
Plus = realism | naturalness | lifelike | engaging | textured | micro dynamics
Minus = NN

Long story short: it seems like cables matter just as much as placement upstream or downstream of the Muon Pro filter mostly the last cable from the Tempus to the streamer/filter, to be honest. My choice is confirmed regarding the cables used and the best perception obtained in terms of naturalness and pleasantness of the sound.

The Tempus’ PSU really shines in reducing noise, keeping dynamics and openness pretty enjoyable so I hope NA will be able to launch a PSU specifically designed for powering routers, assuming this hybrid technology will bring positive effects also to this last devices upstream the network.

We often read about improvements obtained by putting two switches daisy chained, I could try placing the PhoenixNET between the router and the Tempus. I'm just worried that it might form a bottleneck, since it's designed to operate at 100 Mbps while the Tempus and the Muon Pro are specifically designed to work best at 1 Gbps.

Conclusions
The current improvement has truly taken my system to a new level in terms of perceived sound quality. The main factors can be traced back to:
- the introduction of Tempus and its ability to work in splendid synergy with the Muon Pro
- the positioning of the Muon Pro, now downstream
- the choice of Ethernet cables in play and their positioning, in particular exchanging the STEALTH (now upstream) with the Pink Faun (now downstream)
Due to the results obtained, the Tempus will remain in my system.

Here below my usual chart comparing the Innuos PhoenixNET with the Tempus:

PNET TEMPUS
White noise/Hum. 99
Background89
Naturalness99
Image precision88
Soundstage depth88
Soundstage width 89
Separation89
Voice99
Hights78
Bass88
Presence99
Transient89
Clarity89
Airy79
Detail89
Unveil89
Realism99
Calm88
Control89
Engagement89

There is definitely a consensus occurring here on the Network Acoustics Tempus.

It takes me months to really assess a new addition to my HiFi system. I run in the new cable or component for many weeks then swap back in the old reference and relisten to recently heard music for another few weeks. Generally, the first question I ask myself, is, during which period of time was the system more engaging? In my HiFi, I’ve enjoyed the Tempus and Muon Pro more than the PhoenixNet and Muon Pro. The Network Acoustics pairing is more relaxing to listen to. The combination communicates the music message better, creating a more believable experience. Listening to one of favorite bands combining electric instruments with acoustic violins, guitars, mandolins, dobros, drums and multiple vocals the NA combo does a far better job of unraveling all the complex harmonies and the music line. With the PN and Muon pro instruments and melodies are a bit smeared and the timing becomes confusing. Some listeners might describe this as the lost quiet time between the notes. With the NA combo each musician’s contribution is more easily followed and the atmosphere of room becomes more apparent and apart the performance. Surprisingly, the Muon Pro contributed equally to both switches. The PN is still a fine performer. The divide isn’t huge, but the NA pairing sounds more evolved.

Last edited:
Just to confirm; the tempus hybrid PSU uses a 5mm x 20mm/ 2.5a/ 250v standard fast blow fuse :)
I was going to order an SR fuse. Just to be sure, I felt I should double check what was inside the Tempus. I was a little suspect about it being a fast blow even for switching power supply. After removing the fuse I confirmed that the stock/factory installed fuse in my Tempus is a 5x20mm, but it is clearly marked as a T2.5 amp. (Slow) Not an F (Fast)

Reactions: jasond
I was going to order an SR fuse. Just to be sure, I felt I should double check what was inside the Tempus. I was a little suspect about it being a fast blow even for switching power supply. After removing the fuse I confirmed that the stock/factory installed fuse in my Tempus is a 5x20mm, but it is clearly marked as a T2.5 amp. (Slow) Not an F (Fast)
thank you @Vangelis for pointing our mistake, it is just an ordinary timed fuse which is by definition is a slow blow, but please dont worry using a fast blow fuse would not be an issue, because the power supply only draws a tiny amount current from the mains. :) NA

thank you @Vangelis for pointing our mistake, it is just an ordinary timed fuse which is by definition is a slow blow, but please dont worry using a fast blow fuse would not be an issue, because the power supply only draws a tiny amount current from the mains. :) NA
Along the same topic. I have an extra Synergistic Research 5A fuse that I would like to use in the Tempus. Since power supply draws so little current, can use the 5A instead of the 2.5A?
Thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing