New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

I clearly remember that game 7 eastern finals between the pacers and the bulls. That was a game that Jordan REFUSED to lose. He wasn't shooting particularly well but he just kept on driving to the basket with a devil may care attitude and won the game from the foul line. That, for me, is what separates Jordan from Kobe. No forced shots or jacking up 3's, just drove to the hoop and fished for fouls. And if I recall right, Indiana's frontline was solid, Dale and Antonio Davis and the 7'4 Rik Smits.

Eric Spoelstra? Well there's still an excuse since Bosh is injured. He keeps his job even if the Heat lose this series so long as they don't lose 3 straight in the manner they lost today.

Eric Spoelstra? Well there's still an excuse since Bosh is injured. He keeps his job even if the Heat lose this series so long as they don't lose 3 straight in the manner they lost today.

Eric's job has been on the radar ever since The Decision and adding Chris Bosh. I feel it's not about his coaching skills per se but the pressure he gets from the fans and media to win a title outright after the arrival of James and Bosh. When the Heat gets on a winning run, he's a great coach. When he racks up a string of loses, and more recently, when down 1-2 in a 2nd round series - his job is buzzed again as in danger. Why? I believe because people expect MIA to win it all with such potent material. The Pacers, on the other hand, are playing loose, and as Coach Voegel puts it, he wants the players to have some 'fun'. As Steve's posted video shows, the Heat were not having fun in that time out. And that's where talent is challenged by an X-factor, pressure.

Frantz, I don't know what it is going to take short of a championship to make you a believer about OKC

I have no seen a Championship team with as much turnover as they have game in and game out ... Tat is to me their main weakness nd in playoff time that what separae a win from a loss . The lakers were winning the game and last seconds turnovers did them in ... When OKC meet a disciplined and well rounded off team .. I will carefully ... Looks like they may meet SAS .. we will see ...

On a different subject LNJ is again reverting to .. LBJ ... The way they're going he will be happy to win one ring ... They don't look good at all and it' s not Spoelstra fault .. To acquire those three they had to not have a good bench it is biting them back

Tough loss Phil

The Celts blew it in the final 2 minutes just like the Lakers. However I stopped watching in the 2nd quarter only to find such a turn around in the 4th. The Sixers could be the Cinderella team of this years playoffs

Tough loss Phil

The Celts blew it in the final 2 minutes just like the Lakers. However I stopped watching in the 2nd quarter only to find such a turn around in the 4th. The Sixers could be the Cinderella team of this years playoffs. 24 point turn around tonight

Tough loss Phil

The Celts blew it in the final 2 minutes just like the Lakers. However I stopped watching in the 2nd quarter only to find such a turn around in the 4th. The Sixers could be the Cinderella team of this years playoffs. 24 point turn around tonight

Well, these kind of losses happen, Steve. I've seen these wide leads disappear in a quarter in these playoffs. The fat lady has to sing. What's amazing was how Philly got their shooting touch back in the 2nd half when their 1st half outside shots were just missing. That is the turnaround. I told my son watching with me that when you see Igoudala and the rest shooting like that in the last 4 minutes, basically unconscious, you gotta hand the game to Philly and it happened. And Boston's aging core was not rested by Doc in the 4th bec the Sixers were making a comeback. That is the C's weakness.

Just got in to the Lakers game, and boy, Fisher is still connecting. And just to comment on the back to back games, tomorrow, the Clips host the Spurs at 3.30 EST and then LAL hosts OKC at 10.30 EST. What I'm curious at (for a long time actually) is how they change the flooring, paint and label, of the Staples for these 2 teams in a few hours. Is it just a paint job or a wood job?

Watching LAL vs OKC now. OKC defense is keeping the LAL big men from even getting their feet planted in the paint. Talk about foot speed.

It's a wood job Phil. Under the wood is the ice rink. I've seen them go from a Lakers game to 4 hours later an ice rink and the Kings play.

Amazing, Steve. Ice is beneath the wood. Just imagining them changing the wood floor of the Lakers to the Clippers is amazing enough. Let alone knowing now that ice is beneath the floor. Awesome.

And congrats to your Lakers for eeking this one out. I had to go out at mid-game so I missed the 2nd half. At least 1-2 is better than 0-3. And a chance to tie tomorrow. That will be the critical one, one consecutive nights. As a close friend always told me, you can't count out the Lakers if Kobe is in there.

Last edited:
well the ice isn't below the wood but all of the pipes are there to cause the water to freeze and become ice.

In fact yesterday during the game, there was a short segment as to how the Staples staff has to turn the arena around for 3 NBA games and an NHL game this weekend with the Kings who BTW are doing really well

Amazing, Steve. Ice is beneath the wood. Just imagining them changing the wood floor of the Lakers to the Clippers is amazing enough. Let alone knowing now that ice is beneath the floor. Awesome.

And congrats to your Lakers for eeking this one out. I had to go out at mid-game so I missed the 2nd half. At least 1-2 is better than 0-3. And a chance to tie tomorrow. That will be the critical one, one consecutive nights. As a close friend always told me, you can't count out the Lakers if Kobe is in there.

I think this true for many arenas :) Sure it's happens at the Garden (NY and Boston) among others :)

From nba.com.....seems others feel Spoestra will get fired if the Heat lose this series....

Heat collapse would portend doom for Spoelstra

Posted May 18 2012 5:51PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- He didn't swallow a grapefruit in the fourth quarter last summer in the NBA Finals. He isn't the one who blew a layup near the buzzer and then suffered a meltdown in this playoff series. Nor did he stock the roster with meatballs, but of course, you know how this might end anyway for Erik Spoelstra should it all go terribly wrong.
If the Heat fail to rally against the Pacers, or survive the East, or even win the championship they so desperately need to validate themselves, is there any doubt he will be punished for the sins of others, sooner or later?

Obviously, that's how it goes in the NBA coaching world, the price to be paid for earning millions of dollars and holding down one of only 30 very coveted jobs. Shed no tears for Spoelstra, but do send him a slice of sympathy pie anyway, if only for this very reason:
He's in danger of being let down by the three heavyweights in the organization: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Pat Riley.
He was set up to succeed, or to fail miserably; such is feast-or-famine world created by a superteam built on the promise of "not one, not two, not three" titles or else. Life was so much simpler, if also less lucrative, as a lowly gofer and then assistant coach and then head coach before Miami became a team to be both hated and awed. He came to the job without big credentials, which endeared him to the public but also made him seem like a caretaker while the Big Three and the famous team president did the heavy lifting.
All of which will make Spoelstra easily expendable if the Heat aren't sipping champagne fairly soon. And feel free to define "soon" as you wish.
The tongue-lashing he took Thursday from Wade in Game 3 against the Pacers summed up the state of Spoelstra. He has authority, but really doesn't. He's the boss, but not really. He tells LeBron and Wade and Chris Bosh what to do, but if the spirit moves them, they can tell him where to go. As Wade just did.
"Guys say something, you don't like it, and you move on," said Spoelstra, hosing down the flame before it spreads, in terms of perception.
That it was Wade who lashed out has to be tough for the coach. Their relationship goes back several years. Wade, actually, was considered Spoelstra's biggest ally in the locker room, and maybe a single public outburst doesn't change that dynamic completely, but clearly a line has been drawn. And when Wade was given the opportunity to extend a public peace offering to Spoelstra right after the game and declined, well, make your own judgment.

Wade is going through a brutal stretch; counting that missed Game 2 layup, these are the worst five quarters of his career, easy. Five points, plenty of mental lapses and a lazy effort throughout Game 3 showed us a strange and different side of Wade.
Roughly a year ago, it was LeBron coming up empty in the fourth quarter against the Mavericks that first told us this coaching job wouldn't be as simple as it looked.
And now, without Bosh, done perhaps for the next few weeks with an abdominal strain, Spoelstra is pulling strings that are snapping on him left and right. What we're seeing is how Riley never gave Spoelstra much to work with beyond the superstars.
What coach, for example, can coax anything out of a washed-up Shane Battier, banged-up Mike Miller or a Udonis Haslem who doesn't snarl and spit anymore? These are the players Spoelstra is trying to squeeze 10 and 15 quality minutes from, and that's like trying to squeeze juice from a rock.
In a move that was either genius or desperate -- and we'll let you choose -- Spoelstra started Dexter Pittman at center in Game 3. Gee, thanks, Riles.
"We had to throw everything on the table," explained Spoelstra.
While loading up on stars, Riley neglected to balance them with the necessary role players who can do what they do best while hiding their flaws. Look no further than San Antonio to see how that's done correctly, to behold how Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are nicely joined by Kawhi Leonard, Daniel Green, Boris Diaw, DeJuan Blair and Gary Neal, players anyone could've gotten.
Riley hasn't had the same kind of luck. He signed Eddy Curry, who sits on the bench in a playoff series that begs for a big man against Roy Hibbert. Curry follows in the immortal footsteps of Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Erick Dampier, Jamaal Magloire, Eddie House and Mike Bibby among others as a cheap but ineffective pickup by Riley the last few years. In an effort to surround the Big Three with help, Riley has spent 25 cents and gotten 10 cents in return.
And so this is what Spoelstra has to work with: three stars, only one completely healthy, and a (so far) overmatched supporting cast.
In about 14 months, he has gone from being the envy of coaches to someone that few coaches would like to trade places with. Unless they're unemployed.
Which, if the Heat doesn't win a title, is what Spoelstra could be in not four, not three, not two years. Try one.

If the Mavs proved anything last year it's that you can't win championships with your starting lineup alone. The days of 48 mins of half court ball are long gone. It's not Spo's fault but such is life. There's got to be a scape goat and it's never the guy who signs the checks.

It was 330 AM here when the game started so I tuned out at halftime after the Spurs had clawed their way back from 24 to 10 points down. Somehow, I knew that despite this deficit, the SAS would pull it off. Even at 24 down, there was no sense of panic in the Spurs camp who simply stuck to their game as if they KNEW there was more than enough time to overhaul that 24 point lead. What surprised me after I tuned back was the Lopsided final outcome. Wasn't this the same aging Spurs team that got swept 4-0 last hear by the very same Memphis team that the Clippers eliminated in the first round? The Spurs big three, while still obviously elite players, are nowhere near the stature of the Lebron and Wade, the former having just garnered his third regular season MVP award! And your right Steve, how do the Spurs manage, year in ane year out, to surround their not only aging but aged big three with the perfect role players? While I still believe the Thunder, IF they oust the Lakers, can handle the Spurs, I'm really looking forward to that matchup to see how a young, athletic, talent laden Thunder will handle the experience of the understated but unbelievably efficient Spurs.

If the Mavs proved anything last year it's that you can't win championships with your starting lineup alone. The days of 48 mins of half court ball are long gone. It's not Spo's fault but such is life. There's got to be a scape goat and it's never the guy who signs the checks.

Exactly right, Jack. I usually check out the box scores after each game first before the recap and I would immediately browse through the bench scoring. A team that has 2 to 3 bench players scoring double figures consistently is usually a winner. Role players to give the starters a rest. That is a modern day formula given the athleticism of the players these days. Starters need to rest and the bench need to sustain the lead the starters made. I remember the '08 championship team the C's had. Off the bench came the old but crafty Sam Cassell who would immediately score a few points in the mold of microwave Vinny Johnson. Then Posey comes in to throw a few more 3's. PJ Brown to defend the paint, rebound, and follow up stabs. Then you had a Leon Powe who singlehandedly won a Finals game by himself. :D Well, the formula is on the wall, and as Steve's posted article noted,, the GM of the Spurs has surrounded a great cast around the starters - a good formula to win the title.

It was 330 am here when the game started so I tuned out at halftime after the Spurs had clawed their way back from 24 to 10 points down. Somehow, I knew that despite this deficit, the SAS would pull it off. Even at 24 down, there was no sense of panic in the Spurs camp who simply stuck to their game as if they KNEW there was more than enough time to overhaul that 24 point lead. What surprised me after I tuned back was the Lopsided final outcome. Wasn't this the same aging Spurs team that got swept 4-0 last hear by the very same Memphis team that the Clippers eliminated in the first round? The Spurs big three, while still obviously elite players, are nowhere near the stature of the Lebron and Wade, the former being the leagues MVP! And your right Steve, how do the Spurs manage, year in ane year out, to surround their not only aging but aged big three with the perfect role players? While I still believe the Thunder, IF they oust the Lakers, can handle the Spurs, I'm really looking forward to that matchup to see how a young, athletic, talent laden Thunder will handle the experience of the understated but unbelievably efficient Spurs.

Jerry, the only thing I can think of re the Spurs great success is that they've got to thank the Clippers for saving them a bout with Memphis!.Haha...Kidding aside, I checked the Spurs roster of last year and this year and the main difference is that they have 2 new starters. Green and Leonard. And basically their bench scoring comes from Manu and Neal. This must be the chemistry that works for them now and they play like well oiled machines on both ends of the floor. But their biggest weapon to me is their championship experience, specifically of their Big 3. They will play poised and calm and they will know what to do when down or up. They've been there and done it. The thing is, they want to do it again. They may be called 'boring', but if boring wins titles, then, I'd like the C's to be called boring too. :D

Phil, from a viewers standpoint, and most specially for the NBA and the broadcasters, would you rather see a boring, aging Spurs - Celtics matchup or an explosive, highlight loaded Heat - Thunder collision?

Phil, from a viewers standpoint, and most specially for the NBA and the broadcasters, would you rather see a boring, aging Spurs - Celtics matchup or an explosive, highlight loaded Heat - Thunder collision?

Jerry, off the bat I'd say in terms of high energy spectacle, most basketball adherents would want to see an explosive Heat/Thunder matchup. Nothing quite like that in terms of electricity and that is what I believe David Stern would like the world to see. And I'd like to see that myself. Spurs/C's matchup is only for diehard C's fans like me and Spurs fan like our good friend who owns the X2/S2 here in our country. :)

It was 330 AM here when the game started so I tuned out at halftime after the Spurs had clawed their way back from 24 to 10 points down. Somehow, I knew that despite this deficit, the SAS would pull it off. Even at 24 down, there was no sense of panic in the Spurs camp who simply stuck to their game as if they KNEW there was more than enough time to overhaul that 24 point lead. What surprised me after I tuned back was the Lopsided final outcome. Wasn't this the same aging Spurs team that got swept 4-0 last hear by the very same Memphis team that the Clippers eliminated in the first round? The Spurs big three, while still obviously elite players, are nowhere near the stature of the Lebron and Wade, the former having just garnered his third regular season MVP award! And your right Steve, how do the Spurs manage, year in ane year out, to surround their not only aging but aged big three with the perfect role players? While I still believe the Thunder, IF they oust the Lakers, can handle the Spurs, I'm really looking forward to that matchup to see how a young, athletic, talent laden Thunder will handle the experience of the understated but unbelievably efficient Spurs.

After watching the last 4-5 SAS games I am now thinking SAS will be a worthy matchup for OKC. I'm still not so sure Heat will win the East

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu