New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Is this going to help the Lakers???

L.A.'s New Rotation

Mike Trudell....

When Steve Nash returns to L.A.'s starting line up in the next few games, here's what Mike D'Antoni's primary rotation could look like:

Starters: Nash, Jodie Meeks, Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard
Subs: Chris Duhon, Darius Morris, Metta World Peace
That leaves Jordan Hill, Antawn Jamison and Devin Ebanks among those on the outside looking in, which D'Antoni said he regrets particularly in Hill's case, as he was pleased with Hill's effort in previous games.

With that said, he wants to open up the floor.

"We have to be able to change our team," said D'Antoni. "For us to have a different team, a different look, Metta has to play the four. If he starts at the three, then once I get him to the four, it's too many minutes for him. I think Metta will be very productive as a four, and our team will be very productive.

"You have Dwight, you have a 7-footer in there, so we can go small. I think it puts Jodie Meeks out there, it (gives) Kobe more area to operate. Once we get Nash back, we'll have pick and rolls... there's a lot of area (there)."

Typically, World Peace will check in around the six-minute mark of the first quarter for Gasol, likely to return two or three minutes later to replace Howard. That allows MWP to play power forward, which D'Antoni says is necessary "for us to have a different team, a different look," and Gasol to play center, which is certainly his best position.

D'Antoni started Devin Ebanks - who could still be in line for a few minutes at backup small forward - on Tuesday against Charlotte, but replaced him with Meeks to start the second half. Meeks has scored in double figures in 5 of 6 games, and has not only been spreading the floor with his three-point shooting (39.3 percent) but competing with intensity on defense.

"(Meeks) has a little pop to his game, both offensively and defensively," said D'Antoni. "He spreads the floor, always a 3-point shot waiting to happen. I think he's playing extremely well; he's a good player."

In addition to Meeks, Morris sparked the Lakers defensively against Charlotte, helping erase an 18-point deficit in the third quarter. D'Antoni said if he continues to play defense like that, he'll force his coach to put him on the floor, even if it's at backup shooting guard with Bryant playing more small forward and Meeks starting at the two.

Gasol and Howard will essentially occupy all 48 minutes at the center position, which in D'Antoni's system best suits Hill, so he may not play much unless one of the two in front of him get into foul trouble. Jamison had a run of five games in double figures in six contests from Nov. 23 to Dec. 5, but was a DNP-CD with Gasol's return, having failed to score in limited minutes in the previous two contests.

Injury Update: Nash Practices Fully

Mike Trudell

For the first time since suffering a non-displaced fracture to his lower left leg on Oct. 31, Steve Nash competed in a full practice, including a 5-on-5 full-contact scrimmage, on Thursday afternoon.

So … when will he play in a game?

“I think Christmas is probably the most realistic,” Nash said, revealing that his leg felt “good” in practice but suggesting he needs to see how it responds before drawing a conclusion.

The Lakers have only one game before Tuesday’s X-Mas contest with the New York Knicks, a Saturday tilt at Golden State, and Nash said it’s “possible” he’d return to that game. Yet he won’t really know until he sees how the leg feels tomorrow, and furthermore how it responds at shootaround on Saturday.

If all goes well, he could make the start against the Warriors, but it is more likely he’d wait until Tuesday’s contest. Regardless, his coach couldn’t have been happier to see him on the practice court.

“Whatever day he returns will be Christmas,” said Mike D’Antoni. “He looked good, real good. You never know how he wakes up. The first step was good and positive, he looks good on the floor, he said he felt good. We’ll wait till tomorrow to see if he can do it again and just build on it from there.”

Nash has cautioned that when he returns, his engine isn’t going to be revving at full speed, since he simply hasn’t had the chance to get into basketball game shape. But D’Antoni isn’t too worried about that, either.

“He’s got a pretty good motor,” said D’Antoni. “It will be maybe depend a lot on that, but he looked good out there – just as good as the rest of the guys. He wasn’t huffing and puffing that much.”

To reiterate, we’ll have to see how Nash feels after Friday’s practice. But for now, it’s certainly good news for the Lakers that he made it through a full-contact practice no worse for wear.

Injury Update: Nash Practices Fully

Mike Trudell

For the first time since suffering a non-displaced fracture to his lower left leg on Oct. 31, Steve Nash competed in a full practice, including a 5-on-5 full-contact scrimmage, on Thursday afternoon.

So … when will he play in a game?

“I think Christmas is probably the most realistic,” Nash said, revealing that his leg felt “good” in practice but suggesting he needs to see how it responds before drawing a conclusion.

The Lakers have only one game before Tuesday’s X-Mas contest with the New York Knicks, a Saturday tilt at Golden State, and Nash said it’s “possible” he’d return to that game. Yet he won’t really know until he sees how the leg feels tomorrow, and furthermore how it responds at shootaround on Saturday.

If all goes well, he could make the start against the Warriors, but it is more likely he’d wait until Tuesday’s contest. Regardless, his coach couldn’t have been happier to see him on the practice court.

“Whatever day he returns will be Christmas,” said Mike D’Antoni. “He looked good, real good. You never know how he wakes up. The first step was good and positive, he looks good on the floor, he said he felt good. We’ll wait till tomorrow to see if he can do it again and just build on it from there.”

Nash has cautioned that when he returns, his engine isn’t going to be revving at full speed, since he simply hasn’t had the chance to get into basketball game shape. But D’Antoni isn’t too worried about that, either.

“He’s got a pretty good motor,” said D’Antoni. “It will be maybe depend a lot on that, but he looked good out there – just as good as the rest of the guys. He wasn’t huffing and puffing that much.”

To reiterate, we’ll have to see how Nash feels after Friday’s practice. But for now, it’s certainly good news for the Lakers that he made it through a full-contact practice no worse for wear.

big win for the lakers in nash's return. d'antoni must be smiling.

big win for the lakers in nash's return. d'antoni must be smiling.

They offically have a streak now :D
Two wins !

Two wins !

and a chance to show the heat what this team is all about and assembled for. :D

i just saw the last few minutes of regulation and the ot period and nash was smooth as ever with those bounce passes to dwight on the pick and roll/

Man was he ever ... D12 has to learn to play with such a superlative talent ... Nash is not showing his age nor signs of rust ... We'll see Still need some defense though .. GSW ran the same plays with the same good results throughput the game with almost no adjustment from LA ... Not a good recipe when you play the Heat ...

Two wins !

Actually Frantz their streak is now at 4 wins

I thought yesterday's game finally showed some flashes of what the Lakers are capable. To come back from down 14 in the second half to win it in OT was terrific although D'Antoni was sweating it on the side lines.

strong finish by the knicks. melo had big plays BUT it's about time woodson 'trains' him to at least think of passing when he has the ball. a 70-30 shoot/pass ratio would be nice. 33 points and TWO assists. :D that is where lebron is way ahead of him, lebron almost thinks of assisting 50% of the time, in my estimation.

Clippers roll win streak to 13. Notable by any standards in the NBA. And off the bench Crawford and now Matt Barnes are helping.

Clippers roll win streak to 13. Notable by any standards in the NBA. And off the bench Crawford and now Matt Barnes are helping.

Chris Paul is coach of the year so far :)

Big games tomorrow. LAL vs NYK. MIA vs OKC. I'd like to see LAL vs MIA soon. All-Star power. :D

Nice laker win. Is this the start of redemption?

this team was built for that. to tell miami and riley that they're here to snatch the crown away. it's a good thing nash came back sooner rather than later to build a proper momentum to win games. melo is still a black hole, virtually never looking for an open cutter for an easier shot. but i guess one can say that about kobe, who had 1 assist today. :D and gasol, after that late clutch dunk, may be off the trading list. :D

this team was built for that. to tell miami and riley that they're here to snatch the crown away. it's a good thing nash came back sooner rather than later to build a proper momentum to win games. melo is still a black hole, virtually never looking for an open cutter for an easier shot. but i guess one can say that about kobe, who had 1 assist today. :D and gasol, after that late clutch dunk, may be off the trading list. :D

Is it me or it seems that Kobe is deferring to Nash to lead the Team. It is as if it's your show Man! I am listening :) but knowing Kobe there has to be some "but if you mess up, then the ball is glued to me ..: :) The team looked very good. Metta is really playing ihis heart out and providing intense defense and great scoring from the bench. I would have preferred Gasol to be more in the low post.. He stands too much at the free throw line level .. True, he is a good passer but his low post game would create opportunities for D12 ...

By the way back in the days we had John Madden who made Football fun to watch .. Van Gundy is in his footstep.. The man is funny, irreverent and knowledgeable .. he and Mike Breen make a great team ...

just saw hightlights of the c's knocking off the nets big time. wow, there will be a rivalry here as heated plays resulted in mild players blowing their tops. i believe barring an arrival of a true center mid season, the c's are going to have to play with jeff green, rookie forward sullinger and terry with elevated performances just like today. they cannot rely all the time on pierce or kg to carry the offensive load. their defense is fine but their rebounding stinks. o perkins o perkins.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu