New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Can't stand the Heat either but somebody's got to beat them. No way the Knicks do IMO While you have to give credit to the Heat's defense, they seem almost the antithesis of team concept in the way they were built and the way they play. Almost the opposite of the Spurs.

well, my hope is for any upset to happen, like those number 8 upsetting the number 1 seed a few years ago. too bad chicago still does not have rose and by the time he comes back he might not yet be the same player he was. pacers, i still feel the have the best chance to score an upset. they are 'natural enemies' of the heat as they are a bunch of blue collar players with little of no ego at all. and the spurs, quite admirable in their performance and record, given nobody really gave them any chance for any success in the playoffs these last few years but have done very decent work in their games. the biggest problem now is stopping a truck named james who is just about in the peak of his game. the only thing i can think of to neutralize him and the heat is to have a review of rick calisle's defensive plan when the mavs beat the heat. play those on and off zones without getting the t's. that rattled james and company that time.

Hi

Being an NFL football and NBA basketball fan, I will try a comparison: The Spurs remind me of the Patriots. great team with one of the best ever QB and a coach who can make a winning team out of no-name players Spurs great team with one of the best if not the best Power Forward ever to play the game ... Popovitch is as nonsense, knowledgeable and eliciting the best from his players as Belichik. Belichick is rougher though. Both teams are always a threat, you don't go playing them in a playoff or a championship unprepared and lightly: They'll beat you. However they seem to need that last once of sparks that maybe a few young stars can provide to win a championship.. You know a Magic, Worthy, Cooper, etc to an ageing Kareem and Wilkes, etc ... Both teams have managed to remain extremely good through the years posting great winning records, reaching the playoffs consistently but failed to deliver these past few years. The Spurs shocking ouster last year after leading two games or the Patriots losing this year at home against the Ravens ... not as shocking but it wasn't a game they should have lost so badly..
All that to say that I don't expect the Spurs to beat the Heat or even to reach the Finals. A functional Lakers team running on all its mostly old but dangerous cylinders might have: D12 making life miserable inside for Miami, Kobe being Kobe, Pau making life even more miserable for Miami undersized centers and forward... Metta annoying LBJ (one of the few who can do that) or whomever he's guarding and Steve Nash passing the ball with precision to whomever is available.. Man! it could have been great!!

Down with D'Antoni!! Down with microbuss!! :)

What a nail biter today in Dallas as there were so many lead changes that it was tough to keep up with the scoring. Kobe played an amazing game with 38 points and Lakers prevail on the final shot and win it 103-99.

Lakers are starting to show some positive signs here but clearly miss Gasol

Looks like the emotional lift of wanting to play better after the passing of Jerry Buss is showing. Howard has shown some serious looks in the past wins after the all star break too. It's just up to him to play what he can play. And yes, Pau would be a big help if he plays like his former self too.

I just read that Kobe, next year, in the final year of his contract is due to make $30.4M, most in the NBA

very near mj's last season in '98 at $33.1m. that should be the highest per season of all time, i should guess.

Not bad at between $300-$400K per game and if you calculate what that is per minute in a 48 minute game and all I can say is "wow"

Wow too. Kobe is the closest to Jordan in this respect and in rings, only 1 short.

and mark cuban's comment to 'amnesty' kobe next season must have fired kobe up too.

I never knew about the amnesty clause until I heard about the comment by Mike Breen during the game

that was a sharp remark by cuban, as why would la amnesty kobe, allowing him to be picked up by any team, and STILL pay his contract salary. one such player i can recall is philly 'amnestying' elton brand at the start of this season.

Here's some morning news from NBA.com

Report: Thunder bring back Fisher — In one of the more surprising trade deadline moves in recent memory, the Lakers dealt stalwart defensive point guard Derek Fisher to Houston last season for Jordan Hill. After Fisher was sent to Houston, the Rockets agreed to a buyout of his contract so he could sign with a contender, which he did, joining the Oklahoma City Thunder for the final 20 games of the season and the playoffs. The Thunder opted not to re-sign Fisher in the offseason and he played nine games with the Dallas Mavericks before being waived on Dec. 22. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that Fisher is headed back to OKC and will sign his deal with the Thunder on Monday:

I don't understand what the benefit of that clause is if you trade the player but still have to pay him. Does it somehow relate to the CBA and caps

When you amnesty a player you pay the money due on the contract but the money doesn't count against the cap.

Other teams can bid on the player and the new team pays the bid amount, reducing the original teams obligation.

This is how the Clippers picked up Chauncey Billips.

Thanks. Still a dumb comment by Cuban

I don't understand all of the ramifications of the salary cap and the luxury tax, but the tax increases very quickly for repeat offenders.

I read one scenario in which the Lakers would be liable for a $145 million super tax in 2014 if they retain Kobe, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash ,etc. and continue to have a $100,000,000 payroll.

They'd be more likely to amnesty Gasol and/or Nash if they are facing a super tax of that size.

The new CBA will definitely alter the landscape in the NBA when it becomes very difficult for the teams that routinely exceeded the cap in the past like the Lakers, the Celtics, the Mavs at one point and perhaps even the Heat.

At $30,000,000 a year Kobe consumes half of the current cap for the Lakers. Its unknown what the cap will be over the next couple of years.

NBA owners will have to make decisions unthinkable in the past so Cuban wasn't totally off base - if not Kobe, it could be other big names that go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu