New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Problem is if he keeps on playing that way coupled with his stratospheric salary, he makes very poor trade bait. Ironically, I believe that with an underperforming big man, an aged and ailing point guard and a sidelined franchise player, the Lakers, at 3-3, are off to a better start than last year with that failed star studded cast.

i think ron mentioned pau's weakness several times early on this thread. $19m a year is not easy to trade with, unless you want an amare in return. i'm amazed though at pau's downturn because in the 2008 to 2010 season, specially with the 2 celtics finals series, pau was killing the c's with his rebounds and points. he was so aggressive on both ends i would call him a pesky big man. and i guess those better years earned him this $19m paycheck as extension.

i think ron mentioned pau's weakness several times early on this thread. $19m a year is not easy to trade with, unless you want an amare in return. i'm amazed though at pau's downturn because in the 2008 to 2010 season, specially with the 2 celtics finals series, pau was killing the c's with his rebounds and points. he was so aggressive on both ends i would call him a pesky big man. and i guess those better years earned him this $19m paycheck as extension.

Plus Pau says he won't take a pay cut to stay with the Lakers

Plus Pau says he won't take a pay cut to stay with the Lakers

I was curious as to who are in the company of Pau's huge paycheck. For trading purposes. :)

2013-2014 Player Salaries
RK NAME TEAM SALARY
1 Kobe Bryant, SG Los Angeles Lakers $30,453,805
2 Dirk Nowitzki, PF Dallas Mavericks $22,721,381
3 Amar'e Stoudemire, PF New York Knicks $21,679,893
4 Joe Johnson, SG Brooklyn Nets $21,466,718
5 Carmelo Anthony, SF New York Knicks $21,388,953
6 Dwight Howard, C Houston Rockets $20,513,178
7 Pau Gasol, C Los Angeles Lakers $19,285,850
8 Chris Bosh, C Miami Heat $19,067,500
9 LeBron James, SF Miami Heat $19,067,500
10 Dwyane Wade, SG Miami Heat $18,673,000
RK NAME TEAM SALARY
11 Chris Paul, PG Los Angeles Clippers $18,668,431
12 Deron Williams, PG Brooklyn Nets $18,466,130
13 Zach Randolph, PF Memphis Grizzlies $18,238,333
14 Rudy Gay, SF Toronto Raptors $17,888,932
15 Kevin Durant, SF Oklahoma City Thunder $17,832,627
16 Derrick Rose, PG Chicago Bulls $17,632,688

I don't know why that despite a rag tag team that is projected to be in lottery and rumors of tanking, I still want the C's to win every game, and they're holding their own now against Orlando. There is a joke that Ainge blasted Coach Stevens after the first win against fellow lottery prospect Utah. "You're not supposed to win against our biggest rival for last place!" :D

Celtics actually beat the Magic of strongman Vucevic. :) Giving little play time to Gerald Wallace and Humphries seems to be the key here. :D Those 2 combine for $24m in annual salary, and what a waste of money. The rest of the young kids are playing their hearts out. Wallace and Humphries for Pau and a pick? :D

After beating Orlando the other night, Boston shocks Miami on a 0.6 seconds 3-point buzzer beater by Jeff Green. The C's are now 3 win tear and 1 game out of 1st in the Atlantic. :D I gotta look up this Butler University coach once more. :D

Meanwhile, Pacers are the only undefeated team at 7-0.

Fantastic game 2OTs by Cleveland and Philly. Kryrie and Michael Carter putting on great show.

Clippers beating the Rockets on the road. Big win. The hack a center game is quite funny. But why would you hack if you're leading as the Clippers did. It stops the clock. Can't believe Doc is into this hacking game too. It started with Bird as coach calling the hack a Shaq plays. Now we have 2 more ex-Celtics, Doc and McHale doing it too. That is not Celtics legacy. :D

so we are beginning to see that the Rockets don't rise to the level of a championship team.

The Pacers IMO look every bit as real (only now more mature) as they did last year. Heat seems to getting along on only 4 cylinders and lack some of the previous years' greatness.

I missed the Clippers - Houston game last night as I went to the UCLA - Arizona football game here in Tucson last night. Good game and the Bruins won.

Checked a few updates when the Rockets were ahead in the first half and it looked like Houston was on the way to a win and I quit looking. Pleasantly surprised top see the Clippers pulled it out. Looks like Dwight is killing another team, too. :D

Celtics knocking off the Heat was a good surprise, too.

Last edited:
That certainly seems like a reasonable approach, Steve. Might actually bring me back into the fold. Even though how ref's call a game still bite, IMHO.

. Even though how ref's call a game still bite, IMHO.

Like those 2 consecutive flops of Battier against the Clippers called as offensive fouls that caused a 4 or 5 points swing against LAC. That ruined the game. I mean Battier stepped in for the main purpose of falling down instead of defending or trying to block the shot. His 2 hands were crossed in this chest trying to protect his front body as he purposely wanted the to sell the refs for a charge. He is said to be the BEST in the game for that. And that is quite shameful even if he gets the best flopper of the year award. The refs should see better that a player is not defending but depriving an opponent of any space at all.

And the funniest so far I've seen this season is the strict implementation of the no touch the ball rule when your team makes the basket. Last night, after a Celtics basket, the ball had no where to go but drop straight into the hands of Avery Bradley who upon reflex just instinctively caught it but in milli-seconds just dropped it to the floor without any apparent motive to delay the game. Whistle blew and he got a T. Even the pro-Miami announcer was against that call. :D

The NBA fines coaches for verbal tirades against the refs. Then they also fine players for an forearm to the throat. That doesn't seem too fair for players who stand to be injured. There should be suspensions as well. The latest is Heat's Mario Chalmers for the hit on Blake Griffin's throat. Seems like Wade has tutored him as well. Wade was not suspended for the elbow to the head against a Stephenson in last seasons Eastern Finals.

Chalmers fined $15K for excessive foul

Posted Nov 8, 2013 7:36 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers was fined $15,000 by the NBA on Friday for hitting Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin in the throat with a forearm Thursday night.

The foul also was upgraded to a Flagrant Foul 2 from a common infraction. The incident occurred with 8:05 remaining in the third quarter of the Heat's 102-97 home victory.

Chalmers fined $15K for excessive foul

Posted Nov 8, 2013 7:36 PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Miami Heat guard Mario Chalmers was fined $15,000 by the NBA on Friday for hitting Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin in the throat with a forearm Thursday night.

The foul also was upgraded to a Flagrant Foul 2 from a common infraction. The incident occurred with 8:05 remaining in the third quarter of the Heat's 102-97 home victory.

It seems that with each year the league is tending to reach parity amongst teams

And seeing the Wizards giving OKC a hard time is proof of this parity. Bradley Beal has been lighting it up lately. What a kid.

Or the T-Wolves and Kevin Love who lit up the Lakers last night after the Lakers had beat them 24 straight times

I love to see Kevin play. he's my kind of forward.

Chalmers definitely took a cheap shot at Blake Griffin and should have been suspended.

Regarding Kevin Love, I remember a three point shot he hit at the buzzer against the Clippers a couple of years ago to win the game.

He is a great player and could be one the Lakers would like to get. He is from LA and played at UCLA. He wasn't happy with the last deal he signed with the Timberwolves so he may be looking to go to another team.

His uncle is Mike Love of Beach Boys fame. Don't know if Kevin can sing in harmony. :D

Too early to tell if there is parity ..

Too early but the Nets are 2-4 ... Never thought they were that good anyway ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu