New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Reason for Andrew Bynum getting kicked out of practice and suspended by Cavs revealed, and it’s hilarious

Brett Pollakoff

Feb 12, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
54 Comments
Chicago Bulls v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Andrew Bynum has done just fine for himself, having landed with a legitimate title contender in the Pacers after stops in Philadelphia and Cleveland that haven’t worked out, to say the very least.

Last season with the Sixers, Bynum never got healthy enough to be able to play in even a single game for the team that traded Andre Iguodala in hopes of landing the All-Star version of Bynum we saw in his final year in Los Angeles.

The Cavaliers took a chance on him with a low-risk, incentive-laden contract that could have been worth up to $25 million over two years, but things ended with a messy divorce that saw Bynum traded to the Bulls for Luol Deng, who is likely to leave at the end of this season as an unrestricted free agent.

The details surrounding Bynum’s dismissal in Cleveland have remained murky until now, with the team perhaps not wanting to disparage the big man’s reputation any further while they tried to deal him out of town. Now that he’s gone, however, we finally know exactly what behavior ultimately pushed the Cavaliers over the edge.

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Only Bynum never made it to the early January guarantee date for his full $12.5 million salary in 2013-14, and self-destructed. He stopped trying on the floor, and became a disruptive presence in practices. Before Bynum was thrown out of his final practice and suspended, he was shooting the ball every time he touched it in a practice scrimmage, sources said – from whatever remote part of the court he had caught the ball.

Amazing, mainly because of the level of blatant disrespect doing something like this would show to both teammates and coaches.

Can you imagine?

Inbound pass to Bynum after a made basket, and instead of giving it back to the point guard to bring it up the floor, he launches an 80-footer. That’s obviously the most ridiculous scenario, but given the fact that it caused the team to cut ties with Bynum altogether, it’s probably not that much of a stretch.

Melo rules out trade, open to less than max deal

NBA News

Melo rules out trade, open to less than max deal

Posted Feb 14, 2014 9:02 PM
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Carmelo Anthony said Friday he knows "for a fact" the Knicks won't trade him, and said he would be open to staying in New York for less than a maximum contract.

Anthony has said he plans to become a free agent this summer. The NBA's trade deadline is Thursday, but Anthony ruled out any chance the Knicks would move him to avoid the possibility they could lose him for nothing in July.
"I know for a fact I'm not being traded," Anthony said at the NBA's All-Star weekend. "There's two things: I know for a fact I'm not being traded and I'm not going in there and saying I want to be traded."
New York can pay him around $30 million more than any team, but Anthony said he wouldn't insist on making the Knicks do it.
"As far as the money, it don't really matter to me. If I go somewhere else I get paid, if I stay in New York I get paid," Anthony said. "So as far as the money goes, that's not my concern. My concern is being able to compete on a high level, at a championship level coming at this last stretch of my career."
The Knicks aren't doing it now. They are 20-32, one of the league's biggest disappointments after winning the Atlantic Division last season, and are wasting a strong season by Anthony that has him ranked second in the league with 27.3 points per game while also averaging 8.6 rebounds.
The Knicks need plenty more, and it will be tough to get because they are already so far over the salary cap. Not having to pay Anthony all of the more than $120 million he would be eligible for could help.
"I talk to people all the time. I always say if it takes me taking a pay cut, I'll be the first one on Mr. Dolan's step saying, `Take my money, let's build something stronger,"' Anthony said, referring to Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan.
Anthony was traded to New York just after the All-Star game three years ago and has reached the playoffs in each season. But they are currently out of the playoff picture even in the weak Eastern Conference, and Anthony will have to decide if he feels they can put a championship team around him as he approaches his 30th birthday.
"He makes really good decisions and I feel this decision for him will be no different," said the Clippers' Chris Paul, one of Anthony's closest friends in the league.
"I know he loves it there. His family loves it there. Most of all, he loves to play basketball there. I don't know what his decision will be, but whatever he does, I'll support him 110 percent."

Reason for Andrew Bynum getting kicked out of practice and suspended by Cavs revealed, and it’s hilarious

Brett Pollakoff

Feb 12, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
54 Comments
Chicago Bulls v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Andrew Bynum has done just fine for himself, having landed with a legitimate title contender in the Pacers after stops in Philadelphia and Cleveland that haven’t worked out, to say the very least.

Last season with the Sixers, Bynum never got healthy enough to be able to play in even a single game for the team that traded Andre Iguodala in hopes of landing the All-Star version of Bynum we saw in his final year in Los Angeles.

The Cavaliers took a chance on him with a low-risk, incentive-laden contract that could have been worth up to $25 million over two years, but things ended with a messy divorce that saw Bynum traded to the Bulls for Luol Deng, who is likely to leave at the end of this season as an unrestricted free agent.

The details surrounding Bynum’s dismissal in Cleveland have remained murky until now, with the team perhaps not wanting to disparage the big man’s reputation any further while they tried to deal him out of town. Now that he’s gone, however, we finally know exactly what behavior ultimately pushed the Cavaliers over the edge.

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Only Bynum never made it to the early January guarantee date for his full $12.5 million salary in 2013-14, and self-destructed. He stopped trying on the floor, and became a disruptive presence in practices. Before Bynum was thrown out of his final practice and suspended, he was shooting the ball every time he touched it in a practice scrimmage, sources said – from whatever remote part of the court he had caught the ball.

Amazing, mainly because of the level of blatant disrespect doing something like this would show to both teammates and coaches.

Can you imagine?

Inbound pass to Bynum after a made basket, and instead of giving it back to the point guard to bring it up the floor, he launches an 80-footer. That’s obviously the most ridiculous scenario, but given the fact that it caused the team to cut ties with Bynum altogether, it’s probably not that much of a stretch.

Maybe he thought he was still bowling.

Clippers and Spurs in a big game at Staples Center tonight. Game is on NBA TV.

Tight match so far - 28 to 26 Clippers at the end of the first quarter.

Spurs are amazing. They beat the Clippers by 10 points. Only the 5th time this year that the Clippers have lost at home all season

Tony Parker didn't play but Patty Mills (!) scores 23 (edit:25) as his replacement. Chris Paul hits only one shot from the field tonight (1-10).

Blake Griffin scores 35 but Tim Duncan has 19 points 13 rebounds and 7 assists. He is truly the Big Fundamental.

Last edited:
Spurs are amazing. They beat the Clippers by 10 points. Only the 5th time this year that the Clippers have lost at home all season

Tony Parker didn't play but Patty Mills (!) scores 23 (edit:25) as his replacement. Chris Paul hits only one shot from the field tonight (1-10).

Blake Griffin scores 35 but Tim Duncan has 19 points 13 rebounds and 7 assists. He is truly the Big Fundamental.

Spurs is one of the good teams to beat in the Western Con. As long as Duncan is in there, there is always a fighting heart in that team. And Coach Pop can pick up his second string guard and pull surprises. Bad night for CP3, but good to see Blake still going full steam.

Last edited:
Lakers begin to clean house

Steve Blake is gone to the Warriors for 2 unknowns

Lakers go down inflames last night to the Rockets

Any bets on D'Antoni next year. IMO he will be gone with all the house cleaning

Lakers begin to clean house

Steve Blake is gone to the Warriors for 2 unknowns

Lakers go down inflames last night to the Rockets

Any bets on D'Antoni next year. IMO he will be gone with all the house cleaning

Steve Blake suited up before the Rockets game, was shooting warm up shots, but was informed of the trade, and had to trot out of Staples. Boy, what a feeling.

Rockets on an 8 game win streak. If Asik puts in more effort on helping and not on whining, the Rockets team is a very solid team.

IMO, No D DA should have been gone ages ago. Yes, LAL, time for rebuild.

Clippers dumped Jamison to Hawks and Mullens to 76'ers for essentailly nothing but neither player had done much this year.

Were also involved in talks with the Knicks for Shumpert but not sure why.

Biggest need was not addressed - backup big.

I always liked Steve Blake. He played well for the Clippers before going to the Lakers.

And despite noises of Rondo being traded, the Celtics stick with him and will see what the draft gives them this year, before doing more trades. :D

Celtics play the Lakers tonight in Los Angeles.

My C's are half a game up the Lakers for the 6th spot, from the bottom! :D Tanking till you go down 4th pick is still very do-able for either teams as only the top 3 are lottery protected. :)

Gone is the glitter of the most celebrated Finals rivalry in the NBA. Heat vs. Anything simply just doesn't measure up these days. :)

With the lackluster loss tonight to the Lakers, the C's are in a strong grip for 6th spot in the draft, in my estimation. :D

Pacers slumping. Looks like they have now been thoroughly scouted and the key to beating them appears to be in pressuring their ball handlers. The acquisition of Turner is making a lot of sense right now. The guy's handle is pretty darned good for a wing. Almost PG good as he dribbles low and fast.

Pacers slumping. Looks like they have now been thoroughly scouted and the key to beating them appears to be in pressuring their ball handlers. The acquisition of Turner is making a lot of sense right now. The guy's handle is pretty darned good for a wing. Almost PG good as he dribbles low and fast.

The slump is broken, Jack. :) Win over the Bucks. And Turner has yet to see action. He can create his shots, drives the lane like a big water bug and was a starter at 3 for the Sixers. Didn't realize till now that he was the no. 2 pick overall in the 2010 draft, next to John Wall. And when is Bum-num's therapy with Bird gonna end? :D Looks like the Legend got his work cut out for him with this big guy. :D

Have to love Derek Fisher. Hit a ton of threes and drew a veteran's savvy charge with 18 seconds left.

Clippers managed to prevail 125-117 over OKC at Oklahoma.

Clips needed this win after dropping two in a row on the road.

LAC also picked up Big Baby Davis today after he was dropped by Orlando. Hope he works out as the third big the Clippers desperately need.

LAC also picked up Big Baby Davis today after he was dropped by Orlando. Hope he works out as the third big the Clippers desperately need.

Davis was a member of Doc's championship team with the Celtics in 2008 and should fit right back in with Doc's system. That year was his rookie year and I felt his 2nd year was his best year, leading the frontline after KG went down with an injury and playing real well in that Eastern Finals. But after that, it almost seemed like he couldn't jump nor shoot. There were still games early on this season when he played well for ORL, and he could pop in a few points quickly off the bench for the Clippers.

Big Baby has to be better than Mullins and Hollins. He doesn't need to be a star - just rebound, play solid defense and score a few points.

Clippers are in New Orleans tomorrow so hope to see him play in that game.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu