New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

well, as Kobe said

"if you want to make history, you have to do historic things" (like win the next 4)

Well Steve, anything is possible, as KG once said. And Kobe and LA would like to put in their minds how Dallas lost a series while being up 2-0, and now it's only one more game up at 3-0. And as Bill Fitch used to tell the C's when they were down 1-3 against Philly in the early 80s: "They have to beat us one more time." If the C's get down 0-3 tonight, they would certainly need Bill Fitch words again, but I hope not. :)

I thought Phil was going to punch out Gasol yesterday after that blow to the chest

I saw that too, and I was wondering what made Phil so mad about Pau's play of lack of. Pat Riley once pulled Anthony Mason's jersey down like he was going to tear it apart, with the same scowl on his face just like Phil's during a timeout. Playoff intensity.

Half time between Memphis-OKC. Magic Johnson is predicting that the Laker team will be blown up and anything is possible including sending any of their big men to Orlando for Dwight Howard. The only one protected is Kobe

He says they are too old and been together too long. Expect big changes if they lose this series but all decisions come from the Buss Family.

Magic also said that the league now is far more athletic with quickness etc and the Lakers can't keep up with them

If Miami gets to win it all, then I guess the trend of getting 'Big Three's would become fashionable in the future. People wondered about their chemistry but now they're proving it's not about simple chemistry but a lowering of egos. And James certainly shows no signs of any feud of sorts in the manner of Shaq and Kobe, who also built a Big Three back then with Karl Malone but would not get the job done due to the ego problems between Shaq and Kobe. Well, one can always say that lowering egos can produce good chemistry. :)

Half time between Memphis-OKC. Magic Johnson is predicting that the Laker team will be blown up and anything is possible including sending any of their big men to Orlando for Dwight Howard. The only one protected is Kobe

That would be a dramatic move, Dwight, a super center, going to LAL. And he had said he wanted to be a Laker. LA had always sought for a dominant center - Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Bynum, and getting Dwight is not really surprising. But I wonder if his value would be as good given the latest exit of Orlando (blame 4 of the starters and not Dwight?), and Dwight's penchant for technical fouls and personal fouls. At any rate, it's still an intriguing idea.

Kobe believes in historic comeback

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

DALLAS – Kobe Bryant(notes) is giving you permission to call him crazy.

He says his Los Angeles Lakers will rally from a 3-0 deficit against the Dallas Mavericks. It’s a rare comeback in North American sports, most notably accomplished by the 2004 Boston Red Sox against their rival New York Yankees and last season in the NHL, when the Philadelphia Flyers rallied to stun the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference semifinals. As for the NBA, it’s never been done in 65 years of the league’s existence.

Kobe Bryant thinks the Lakers will be the first team to win a best-of-seven series after trailing 3-0.
(AP photo)
That’s not stopping Bryant from being optimistic after the Lakers suffered a 98-92 defeat to the Mavericks on Friday night at American Airlines Arena in Game 3 of this Western Conference semifinals.

“I might be sick in the head or crazy or thrown off or something like that, but I still think we are going to win this series,” Bryant said. “I might be nuts. Win on Sunday. Go back home and see if they can win in L.A.”

When asked where that confidence comes from, the five-time NBA champion said: “I don’t know. I’m just nuts.”

Considering how the Lakers have played so far against the Mavericks, there are lots of reasons to call Bryant nuts and little reason for faith.

The Lakers blew a 16-point second-half lead in Game 1 and were routed in Game 2. Their latest setback: The Lakers squandered an 85-78 lead with 5:08 remaining Friday and were outscored 32-20 in the fourth quarter.

Closing games has been a big problem for the Lakers in this series. In three contests, the Mavericks have outscored them 82-55 in the fourth quarter. Lakers center Andrew Bynum(notes) said it’s been a concern all season. Bryant had a harsher assessment of Friday’s meltdown.

“We [expletive] up,” Bryant said. “Stuff we went over [Friday] morning in the fourth quarter, [expletives] just didn’t do it. They didn’t make the [defensive] rotations they were supposed to. It’s as simple as that.”

Bynum, who had team-highs of 21 points and 10 rebounds, said: “We’re beating ourselves. … I don’t think it was their defense. It was more just us thinking for some reason we had to mismatch and that was the extent of the offense. …

“I’m not very stunned. I really thought we’d win tonight, at least.”

Lakers power forward Pau Gasol(notes) is a shadow of his All-Star self this postseason and talk of being soft has resurfaced. He’s “out of it” mentally and hasn’t been able to be “effective or comfortable out there,” but couldn’t explain why and says he needs to “snap out of it.” Time is running out.

He entered Game 3 averaged a disappointing 13.6 points and 7.8 rebounds in the postseason, which is 5.2 points and 2.4 rebounds below his regular-season averages. Gasol was poor again Friday, scoring 12 points on 5-of-13 shooting with eight rebounds in 40 minutes, including just three points in the fourth quarter. He also primarily guarded Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki(notes), who had 32 points and nine rebounds Friday.

“It’s been tough,” Gasol simply said. “It’s been tough more than anything [because] of the losses.”

When asked if this poor playoff season ruins his previous Laker accomplishments, Gasol sternly responded: “You tell me? Should it? I don’t know. I don’t think so.”

Lakers coach Phil Jackson was so frustrated with Gasol he popped him in the chest during a first-half timeout in hopes of sparking him. Gasol took the hit in stride and didn’t retaliate.

“He’s been through enough playoff games to know the deal that you can come back and play games,” Jackson said.

Said Gasol: “Obviously, he wants me to be more aggressive and assertive out there. I just got to be able to do that better and really get going. I just got to do it.”

The Lakers will be adding forward Ron Artest back to the mix Sunday after he returns from a one-game suspension for his clothesline of J.J. Barea(notes) at the end of Game 2. But what should they expect after he disappointed them at the worst time?

Lakers forward Lamar Odom(notes) started at small forward instead for the first time since the 2002-03 season with the Los Angeles Clippers. Odom finished with 18 points and six rebounds. With the NBA Sixth Man of the Year starting, the Lakers’ bench combined for a mere 15 points while the Mavs’ reserves had 42.

Jackson said that Artest’s absence made the Lakers weak defending the perimeter as the Mavericks nailed 12 3-pointers. Jackson believes Artest can be the key to a Game 4 win if he returns strong.

Sunday could be Jackson’s final game as he’s expected to retire after this season. He said Bryant told him Friday morning that the Lakers’ situation is a fitting challenge in a potentially final run. Jackson responded by saying it’s a team problem that the players – not him – have to figure out.

The Hall of Famer has 11 championships as a coach and a 229-103 postseason record. This is new territory, as he has never been down 3-0 in a series.

“Well, we’re disappointed,” Jackson said. “We feel like Games 1 and 3 we controlled the pace of the game, but just couldn’t finish the game. They were better finishing the games out than we were, so that’s a big disappointment to us. But we still believe we are going to win the next game and go from there.”

If Bryant was worried about his Lakers’ dire straits, he certainly didn’t appear that way as he walked out of the American Airlines Center upbeat wearing sunglasses and a turquoise sweater. Remember, he’s a little crazy.

“We can’t kick ourselves now,” Bryant said. “You got to pick up your boot [straps] and get it done. That’s it. It’s not as hard as people make it out to be. Win the next game, go to L.A. and see if they can beat you on your own floor. It’s a must-win, then you come up here for Game 6 and all the pressure is on them and you see what’s what.

“[My teammates] are fine. When you think about it, it makes sense. I will explain it to them and it will make sense. Win the next game, go to L.A., and they’re not going to beat us in L.A. to close it out. Than we come back here and see what happens.”

Things don't look OK now at OKC. The low seeds are showing up.

OKC looked normal. Memphis continues to peak. It just proves that there is great talent in the league this year

And at this point, I can see why D.Rose is MVP over KD. Rose can create his own shots, much like MJ and Kobe.

I watched the LA Dallas game yesterday. Oh boy. You don't give Dirk and Peja time on the arc to file their nails. The 3 balls killed them and Kobe was blatantly guilt of leaving Nowitski out there. This Dallas team sure can stretch that mid court pretty wide. I wouldn't bet against this team with much confidence. They aren't so good as Nowitski says to just cruise so they play hard on both ends. Makes for great watching.

Watched the Manny Pacquiao Shane Mosely fight today. Very boring fight. Mosely wouldn't engage, went down early and lost every single round in snoozy fashion. Here is another first for me. A Dallas basketball game that was more exciting than a Pacman bout. Go figure.

How bout Rondo coming back with a dislocated elbow. Ouch! I know that is very painful that is as I have had that in my teens. The pain crawled up to my brain I still recall and my whole arm was shaking the whole afternoon. Yet this guy came back to play, stole the ball with the left dislocated elbow arm, dribbled to the hoop and dunked the ball! Goodness gracious. For that matter, if it were any player other than a Celtic, I would have tremendous admiration for such heroics. This one has to top Isaiah Thomas playing with a limping sprained ankle in one finals game of the Pistons and the Lakers in the late 80s. Now the game has really elevated.

And good thing Garnett carried them today, or a 0-3 hole wouldn't feel too good.

Well it's painfully over.

Never would I have expected them to get swept but in such a convincing and demoralizing fashion. Odom and Bynum ejected for flagrant fouls will be suspended next year (wherever they are playing)

Magic Johnson summed it up at half time when he said that he has never seen a Lakers team play so bad in a game that meant something. The Mavs looked like they could win it all with just their 3 point shooting (20!!)

In fact the Mavs bench scored the same points as the entire Lakers team

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coaching department and who will be traded next year but there is no question this team needs to be redone.

I am intrigued about the talk of of Dwight Howard to the Lakers for one of their big men.

To Ron Party...kudos to you for saying all along that the team has problems defending the pick and roll using the triangle offense and predicting the sweep

This is looking now to me at least of the finals between Heat vs Mavs

Sorry for the loss of the Lakers, Steve. I too never imagined an exit like this, as basically, LA had the same core and sixth man as last year when they beat Boston and I can't imagine either that the addition of Blake and Barnes plus the exit for Farmer and Vujajic would spell so much difference - from champions to a second round exit. So, I believe it's got to be that Dallas got better, adding key players and assembling a core of 3 'bigs' to match LA's 3 bigs. Plus their firepower increased, though without much fanfare, with the acquisition of Peja, and boy did it pay dividends in these last 2 games. And as Ron mentioned, Caron Butler is even not playing. Dallas certainly has the material to win it all this season, plus the experience of Dirk, Kidd, and Terry, and they have been playing fluid and consistent, for for once, their defense is something to be reckoned with.

The only old guard that is trying to swim uphill is course the C's, and yesterday is the kind of game that C's had played early in the season. Stops, steals, and open court fastbreak with lots of penetration. Of the Big Three's, 2 of them always need to play well and the rest can play their usual game. That is an old formula for them. If they tie it tomorrow, they can get a chance at what is called 'momentum' to try to break the serve of Miami in Game 5 then close it on Game 6 at home. That is the only scenario I can see them in if they are to advance. Tomorrow is yet another do or die for them.

I bet Rondo is done for the season. Difficult to imagine playing after a dislocated elbow

Reports today said MRI negative and he is game time decision tomorrow. Amazing he wasn't wincing in pain when he came back to play again in Game 2, and even used his left hand to poke a steal and dunk with his right. But I hope he gets medical clearance to play Game 3 or it might destroy his elbow in the long term. What concerns me too, is the absence of Big Baby from the playoffs, 10 minutes and 0 points in the last game. The guy was considered as for the 6th man award, placed 4th I think, and was a sub for KG once as a starter. He has to shake out of this slump in the next few games for the C's to advance.

Last edited:
They had three in the game three win. Talk about being able to spread the floor and decongest the lanes. I bet NO is kicking themselves for not sticking with Peja hrough his back problems.

Atlanta is proving to themselves that they can beat Chicago, as Chicago seems to rely on Rose almost too much. That way, the defense is Atlanta just focused and collapsed on his plays and they challenge most shots of Rose. Credit Rose for even scoring 34 today with only 4 minutes rest the entire game. Atlanta passed the ball so fluidly just like their first win in Chicago. They now know the formula to win over the Bulls. They travel next to Chicago knowing they had beat Chicago before on their grounds. Not a bad outlook a all.

The changing of the guard is one more step nearer to completion with the C's falling into a 1-3 hole. The younger Big 3 of the Heat proved their mettle today in a very tough game and their performance in OT show spunk and toughness needed to go forward. The biggest factor right now is Big Baby is again a no-show in terms of contribution. A starter-caliber player like him should play better but maybe the slump is getting into him and he may have lost his confidence as well. Things look bleak now for the C's. I always felt they needed to steal 1 game in Miami to give it a run since I was sure they were going to lose at least one at the TD Garden. Now, the Heat have to show how they handle prosperity.

Looking forward, a Miami-Dallas Finals will have the great drama as it is vindication time for Dirk against Wade. His only problem now is Wade has an even better back-up or even a main act in Lebron James. It should be a great one with lesser glamor than Boston-LA but with an intensity just as strong as the premiere rivalry in the NBA.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu