New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve, did you read the blurb in the Comical (errrr, Chronicle) this morning about there being a rift between Gasol and Kobe, to the point where Gasol was not talking to Kobe, because Vanessa, Kobe's wife, had something to do with the break-up between Gason and his fiancee?

Tough loss Jadis. They looked good until the final few minutes until LBJ beat them single handedly

Yeah Steve. They were in there, just like in Game 4. The end kick is the killer, and Heat has the luxury of choosing whether to unleash James or Wade at the end game. Gotta hand it to them, they retained composure, and definitely, I see the fire and burning desire in them to win and advance. Bulls, if they advance, have at least a guy who on paper can control James, and that is Deng. Tough player. Boston did not have that sort of player to defend James as Pierce has grown older and staying power is not present anymore. They need to up their bench players to starters by next season. Nurture Jeff Green as he is young, he was starting for OKC and he might just be their main man in the future.

I think if Celts went on to win this series, they would emerge from the East and if it's the Mavs from the West, I believe Celts could win it all.

I would have felt the same too, but the Heat were on a mission. Boston would have only Rose to defend, and with Dirk, they would have KG to neutralize him. Boston just did not have the match-ups to contain Wade and James, and in this 5 game series, both really performed above par. Hats off to their consistency. These 2 might have created the old Bulls formula of not stuffing Bigs into the middle, relying of MJ and Scottie as core. Well, Bosh did help too but not in the manner of the dominance of Wade and James. I believe there will be no empty seats in Miami this day on. They are smelling blood as they feel they've hurdled their toughest roadblock.

Just read the Doc said he's 'probably'coming back to coach the C's again next season. He said, he's a Celtic, and he's a fighter and he's like to win one again with the C's. At least one less problem to face. :)

He also said he thinks the team is not yet done. Well, next season they need to find role players who will fill in well while the starters rest, and they need more rest after one more year. A look at their 2008 playoff roster shows that role players like PJ Brown, Posey, Eddie House, Sam Cassell and even Leon Powe (at least for 1 game) stepped up can gave them quality points and minutes while the then 3 years younger Big 3 rested. So next season they need lots of rest, while role players step in. This season, sad to say, they had virtually NONE, no role players as Big Baby disappeared, and I saw his ad in a 'missing child' milk carton. LOL. I remember last year, the had Shrek and Donkey (Big Baby and Nate Robinson), so this year, the bench is 'poof', save maybe for Delonte West. Ainge needs to get some people quick.

Last edited:
Defiant Kobe doesn’t see overhaul in Lakers’ plans

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – Kobe Bryant’s(notes) face seemed to instantly boil as he was asked about the “decline” of the Los Angeles Lakers. Such talk has taken root ever since the Dallas Mavericks stunningly swept the Lakers in the second round of the playoffs, ending Los Angeles’ two-year championship reign.

He called breakup talk “nonsense” at his exit interview with the media at the team’s practice facilities on Wednesday, and believes the Lakers’ current core group will make another title run next season.

More From Marc J. Spears
Lakers’ reign ends in embarrassment May 9, 2011
Jackson nears unlikely end in Dallas May 7, 2011

“If you’re asking me do I believe we can come back and do it again, I absolutely believe that we can come back and do it again,” Bryant said.

Kobe Bryant says the conflict he has with Pau Gasol has nothing to do with his wife or Gasol's girlfriend.
(Getty Images)
One of the biggest voices leading the reconstruction chorus is former Lakers star Magic Johnson, a team vice president. He has said it is best to blow up the team. Bryant quipped that Johnson’s “Showtime” Lakers of the 1980s weren’t broken up when they failed to three-peat and continued to succeed.

A disappointed Bryant called this past season a “waste of a year.” But unless the Lakers make a major trade, expect a similar group since all the core players are under contract next season. General manager Mitch Kupchak echoed Bryant’s sentiment.

“You’re not going to contend for a championship with a non-veteran team,” Kupchak said. “With the core players we have intact I think we can continue to contend. We may have to look to improve certain areas, but once again that’s not something we’ve sat down and discussed yet.”

Time will tell what the Lakers’ roster looks like next season, but one thing ‘s certain: Phil Jackson won’t be coaching them. Kupchak said the Lakers have no timetable for Jackson’s replacement, and that he hasn’t talked in-depth with ownership about it. Bryant has previously endorsed Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw.

Without giving names, Kupchak said one to two members of Jackson’s staff could be considered for the opening. The two are likely Shaw and possibly assistant coach Jim Cleamons, a former Mavericks head coach. The Houston Rockets and Golden State Warriors also have interest in Shaw, according to an NBA source.

A Lakers source also said that management and ownership are split on Shaw. The Buss family, who owns the Lakers, has a reputation of keeping their coaching searches close to the vest.

“Without having discussion with ownership, we don’t have any type of parameter,” Kupchak said.

In his media exit interview, Jackson referred to the Lakers as “they,” showed no interest in returning as coach, said he hasn’t talked to Lakers president Jim Buss “all year” and added that he doesn’t anticipate the franchise calling him for advice. While the 65-year-old initially said he had no plans to return to coaching elsewhere, he also said later in Tuesday’s media briefing that he will see how he feels in six months.

Bryant also addressed two big issues with key teammates: friction with Pau Gasol(notes) and Andrew Bynum’s(notes) push for a larger role in the team’s offense.

Gasol has denied reports that there was a conflict between his girlfriend, Silvia Lopez Castro, and Bryant’s wife, Vanessa, that affected team chemistry during the postseason. Bryant echoed those words.

“It’s just not true,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. “I don’t know who, where it’s from or who said this or what. It’s just not true. It’s just not true. Pau and I, we know that. It sucks for him to have that kind of stuff going on with his family or whatever he has going on. It couldn’t further from the truth. The only beef that we have is when I call him soft, he gets upset when I call him soft. That’s it.”

In regards to Bynum’s offensive demands that he made Tuesday with local media, Bryant stated that the ball should continue to go through him first, Gasol second.

“Ultimately, he’ll have to fall in line because I’m gonna shoot the ball,” Bryant said. “We all know that. Pau is going to get his touches. He’s No. 2. And then [Andrew] will have to fall in line.”

Bynum averaged 11.3 points and 9.4 rebounds in 54 regular-season games after starting the season late due to knee surgery. The 7-footer improved in the playoffs to average 14.4 points and 9.6 rebounds in the postseason. While Bryant was the leading scorer in the regular and postseason, Bynum flip-flopped with fellow big man Gasol in the postseason to be the Lakers’ second-leading scorer in the playoffs.

Kupchak seemed encouraged by the injury-plagued center’s progress, but added that his offensive role will be dictated by the new coach.

It will be very interesting to see the Lakers coaching decision.

I get somewhat leary of rookie coaches but heck look what Tom Thibodeau did this year. Nonetheless I remember some of the Lakers rookie coaches such as Magic Johnson and even Kurt Rambis when the need arose. Both were losers

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -

The new name at the top of a coaching search a year from now for a team near a championship, or just any team in New York City: Phil Jackson.
Jackson on Wednesday re-affirmed he thinks he has coached his final game, a statement that came as part of his final meeting with the media as the Lakers completed two days of exit interviews following the humbling second-round elimination, only with the qualifier that he may not feel the same way in the future. A lot of teams undoubtedly immediately took note.
Barring the biggest shock of all, Jackson will spend 2011-12 in retirement, some while living in Montana, some while traveling, some while visiting Los Angeles where his appearance at a Lakers game will cause great buzz. He has said already, in an interview with NBA.com, that he would not stay on the job even if a lockout results in an abbreviated schedule that creates less strain on his body. And as recently as Sunday, after the Mavericks completed the sweep with a resounding victory in Dallas, Jackson again signaled his career was likely over, even surprisingly saying he was happy the season was over.
He has not sounded like a man interested in another coaching gig: “I’ve said that I’m relieved to be finished and happy with the job I’ve done.”
It was pointed out that some team will obviously call in the future to gauge his interest in a spot that is open or is about to open. How can he be so sure, the question was asked, that this week begins a final retirement?
“Today I’m sure,” Jackson replied. “What’s it going to be like in six months? Who knows.”
That’s the part that will keep speculation alive, and he never hates keeping people off-balance. Jackson is the first to admit he is a closer and not an ideal candidate for a team that is looking to develop young talent and becoming a some-day contender. (In a frank self-assessment of his skills as a strategist, the coach of an NBA-record 11 championships said he “probably failed” at some X-and-O work.) But if a team is willing to hire a short-timer as part of a title push, Jackson obviously comes up, and, in the important development from Wednesday, perhaps listens.
This goes for the New York teams as well, even if they’re not mapping out a parade route. Jackson is a former Knick who loves those roots, and price is generally no object for owner James Dolan. And now that the Nets are a year away from moving from New Jersey to Brooklyn and in a brass-knuckle fight with the Knicks over territory and marketing possibilities, what a coup it would be to land Jackson, if the job comes open. Jackson had said soon after the Nets ownership change, with a sly grin, that Mikhail Prokhorov seemed like an interesting man and perhaps they could share some vodka one day.
Speculation will jump to the forefront with every opening among playoff teams in the next year or so. There is nothing wrong with Jackson keeping his options open, of course. It’s just that a lot of uneasy coaches would prefer that he would come out and declare this retirement final.

IIRC, when Phil and MJ had their three-peat, Phil was bound for fishing and when asked about MJ, he said that he can't find any reason why MJ should not retire, somewhere along that line. Well, MJ did retire. And in a few months, the news came out that Phil has accepted an offer to be coach of the LA Lakers who had just signed Shaq, calling him 'such a raw talent' that has so much potential. Well, if the Knicks want to get him, maybe they should get Dwight to team with Amare, Carmelo and Chauncey. And we would have deja vu 2. :) And a new logo for the NBA, The Big Four. :)

Last edited:
IIRC, when Phil and MJ had their three-peat, Phil was bound for fishing and when asked about MJ, he said that he can't find any reason why MJ should not retire, somewhere along that line. Well, MJ did retire. And in a few months, the news came out that Phil has accepted an offer to be coach of the LA Lakers who had just signed Shaq, calling him 'such a raw talent' that has so much potential. Well, if he the Knicks want to get him, maybe they should get Dwight to team with Amare, Carmelo and Chauncey. And we would have deja vu 2. :) And a new logo for the NBA, The Big Four. :)

Now that would truly be "show time"

What an interesting thought Jadis

BTW....Bulls 19 Hawks 11

Bulls are going to take out the Hawks tonight, they have more will.

Jumping ahead to a Heat-Bulls series, it would be interesting to see what the consensus is on who's favored. Chicago because of home court, but it can be Miami as they have momentum after defeating the former Eastern champs. Match ups. Chicago, I think, has enough or better manpower to match up against Wade and James, much more so than Boston. It could be Deng, Bogans or even Brewer. Wade and Rose can even out. But Chicago has Boozer and Noah to control Chris Bosh. And they have Korver as the sniper in the mold of John Paxson. I just thought that since both teams play good defense, the final arbiter would be a great offense. With Wade and James easily capable of scoring in the 30s, the Bulls have to find ways in matching their outputs, specially in the 4th quarter, where the C's fared badly.

and your prediction would be??

That's a tough one, Steve. LOL

But, I'd go for Bulls in 7. :) On paper, they have the material, the energy, and the drive to top the Heat, imo. And in my view, it is the Heat who are favored here.

Me especially. They have to beat them, and beat them up inside.

I think Adelman is a great coach btw.

Good to know I'm not alone here. :)

My take is, if the Bulls hold serve at home for a 2-0 lead, they're in pretty good shape to win in 6 even.

A 2-0 lead going on the road is usually comfortable. That way the mindset is just to split on on the road and you're up 3-1, which was exactly what the Heat did to the C's. From there, the momentum favors the one with the 3-1 lead. Before the Boston-Miami series, I was telling a friend here that it's mandatory for Boston to take either of the first 2 games in Miami to increase their chances to win the series. When they fell 2-0, I told my friend here, as far as I'm concerned, the series belongs to Miami. And I've always held that another mark of a true champion is being a 'road warrior'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu