New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Agreed.

Ok, let's all put it on the table. I don't think Miami can win two in a row. Your votes?

BTW, anyone else think the 2-3-2 format stinks? I think it's unfair that the team that won home court advantage should ever be in a do-or-die situation if they hold home court.

I think they can and will. The Lakers did just that last year after winning game 3 on the road in Boston, just like the Heat won game 3 in Dallas. Remember Game 6 in L.A.? Blowout. Then, Game 7, Boston had the lead by a substantial margin going into the 4th quarter. Kobe was stinkin' up the joint and Artest won the game and championship for L.A. Homecourt for Game 7 is a HUGE advantage.

Having stated this, I'm rooting for Dallas. Now if Dallas can limit their turnovers and stay hot from the 3 point line, they have a chance.

The 2-3-2 has its positive and negative attributes. Sure is a lot better than home court/field advantage being decided by which teams wins the All Star game as in baseball.

BTW, anyone else think the 2-3-2 format stinks? I think it's unfair that the team that won home court advantage should ever be in a do-or-die situation if they hold home court.

I do. Ever since it was instituted in 1985, I didn't like it. I recall there were complaints after the '84 Finals that moving coast to coast for the last 3 games was too tiring. And the shock of my life, I read somewhere that Red Auerbach was behind the move to change into the 2-3-2 format since his team just won in '84 in the 2-2-1-1-1 format. At any rate, I see it as actually detrimental to the home team to play 3 straight on the road, and to possibly end up DOWN 2-3 heading home for the next 2 games, which is what Miami's (and LAL's last year) is.

And I'd like to put my hats off to Coach Carlisle. Starting Barea the last 2 games was a gutsy move, and the result proved that it was a good move. Barea got his confidence in shooting and was the same pesky guy disturbing the plays of Miami and at the same the nailing those outside shots AND penetrating inside. That's a total package performance if you ask me, for his size. (And the move makes Stevenson fresh when he comes in to take on Lebron, something you would need against James - fresh legs). Very few coaches would make such a bold move and change starters in a playoffs let alone the finals, and Rick did just that. And playing Cardinal and Mahinmi who made points and played their roles in the few minutes on court - those are quality minutes, since their bench has been reduced to only Terry and Stevenson. But to me, the key move of Rick was playing the 'zone' against the Heat, I believe in the last 2 wins they used the zone from time to time, and it affected James. James doesn't like being double teamed and the fumble in the last few minutes was a result of the double team. Surprising that an 'older team' like Dallas can cope with the multiple shifting in defense to get the zone done without the 3 sec violation. I would have thought a younger team like Chicago and OKC would be more suited for it, but again, hats of to Rick for doing it well, at least in these last 2 games.

Good points, jadis. Basketball playoffs are in significant part a game of adjustments from one game to the next. One would expect Miami to come up with an answer to the zone defense in Game 6. I thought we saw glimpses of it in the 3rd and early 4th quarters of Game 5, with a pass to Lebron at the free throw line, then a bounce pass to a base line cutter for the easy lay up.

The foul called on Cardinal on the perimeter, whether correct or not was a bonehead play in that situation. Can't believe they missed the double dribble. Entirely changes the way you defend if you think the guy can't move.

not only did they miss the double dribble but Cardinal was called for the foul and when he argued it due to the double dribble he was called for a technical. Go figure. As for the charge or block Ron it was darn close. Perhaps a block but Phil Van Gundy was right when he said that the ref should have let that go. Nonetheless the best team won.

Ron, if there is a game 7, let's watch it at my house

Calling a charge when someone beyond the 3 point line is dribbling either laterally or even further away from the basket is not a good call nor is it good for the game, unless the dribbler shoves the defender away with his free arm. The ref should have swallowed his whistle. Maybe basketball needs the equivalent of the hockey call for embellishment because that was what Cardinal did.

Could I be bold enough to go out on a limb and call Dallas in 6? I really don't believe the Heat will win even in 7

I must admit that the fudge factor for the Heat is Mario Chalmers. Did you see his 3 point shot at the end of the period. Haslem is tough also

Could I be bold enough to go out on a limb and call Dallas in 6? I really don't believe the Heat will win even in 7

Steve, I'm with you here, Dallas in 6 though I believe Miami has the bigger edge come Game 7. Mavs ride on momentum and I can only imagine Rick holding a big sign that says JUST 1 WIN in each practice till Sunday's tip-off. The idea is to keep Dallas' offense still as well oiled as it was last Game 5, and to start the first 2 quarter of Game 6 blazing with outside conversions. That will make them dictate the tempo and control the flow of the game, so much so that even if they lose a lead, they are still able to make a counter run to take back the lead, just like in Game 5. In Games 1-4, Dallas was playing a 'running scared' type of a ball game, tentative and always trailing most of the way till they get to eek out a win like in Game 2. They had broken that hex on Game 5 by shooting the lights out and when they did, no amount of tight choking Miami defense could have stopped them. Confidence is the ingredient here. Dirk comes out as the supreme leader in Dallas, openly berating Marion in one game and yesterday, barking at Chandler for miscues. The team mates respond with better plays after that. What leadership, professionalism and team work these bunch have. One more game of these kinds of combined quality and we'll see a Dallas victory. If not, then I feel Game 7 will ride on the momentum that Miami had done something to win Game 6, and the crowd will help in propelling that 'push' to give Miami another victory. But honestly, I hope the Mavs end it on Sunday. :)

Last edited:
you're right on Jadis

They have more of a chance to win Game 6 than game 7. That's why I'm betting Mavs in 6. (OK Ron shoot me :))

BTW NBA stats show that the team going into game 6 leading 3-2 has a 70% chance of winning the series.....so you can't count the Heat out

Dirk will be MVP unless the Heat prevail and I go with DS-Wayde

Did anyone comment on that rainbow shot of Dirk's. The ball was out of sight of the camera until it was on its downward spiral to hit nothing but net.

Did anyone comment on that rainbow shot of Dirk's. The ball was out of sight of the camera until it was on its downward spiral to hit nothing but net.

Glad you mentioned that shot, Steve. Oh wow, on the replay it was nothing but net. And the way it swished the net was a work of art. I always loved the 70's net as it was so soft and the sway of the net then really looked so beautiful. But that shot of Dirk really reminded me of the swish of the oldish net. I don't recall Larry Bird's shot even looking as cool as that. ;)

Just read this by Michael Wilbon

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110611

I also remember reading an Article named "The monkey on Magic's back" from the New York Post. That was back when the Lakers lost to the Celtics in 1984 , when magic inexplicably dribbled the ball at the end of regulation with the Celtics leading by 2 points (IIRC)...He was labeled at one point "Tragic Johnson" That in 1985 ... How we forget ...

I am repeating myself .. If Lebron wakes up ...Heat wins

Last edited:
to possibly end up DOWN 2-3 heading home for the next 2 games, which is what Miami's (and LAL's last year) is.

Exactly, and this can be when you've held home court.

Reminded me of an old Bill Bradley clip I saw where it arc'd up and thru some ringling brothers ropes that were looped from the ceiling of the garden at the time, then dropped straight thru the net.

Here's hoping Lebron stays sedated.

James has come out blazing in the first few minutes.

Well it ended here tonight in Miami and as predicted the better team won.

It was the same team Dallas showing up tonight as the one which beat the Lakers. As much as I am a die hard Lakers fan Dallas killed them and in this series, the very same thing.

Believe it or not this is the most posted to thread on the forum thanks to Ron Party for starting this thread at the beginning of the season. I feel as if I have made a bunch of new friends here because of this thread.

Only thing for me which could have been better would have been the Lakers as a three-peat

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu