New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Ralph Lawler, the Clippers TV broadcaster, will call his last game on Wednesday. Ralph has called Clipper games for 40 years and is now 80 years old. That's quite a history and demonstrates great stamina as for many of those years the Clippers were a bad team. I was always very happy for Ralph when the Clippers became a good team since nobody could enjoy those wins more than Ralph.

There was a great article about Ralph on The Ringer today. He may not have been as well known as Chick Hearn and Vin Scully but he was a great announcer....an acquired taste perhaps, but outstanding nonetheless.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/8/18299479/ralph-lawler-los-angeles-clippers

you know you compared him to 2 of the very best

Chick was my all time favorite. Who else called things like Chick
air ball
threw up a brick
dribble drive
its in the refrigerator, the butter is getting hard and the jello is jiggling

you know you compared him to 2 of the very best

Chick was my all time favorite. Who else called things like Chick
air ball
threw up a brick
dribble drive
its in the refrigerator, the butter is getting hard and the jello is jiggling

Yes, I was aware of the comparison. While he may not have been as well known as Chick and Vin - and may be a step beneath them in the all time announcer rankings - the two gentlemen you mentioned benfitted from being affiliated with teams that had winning traditions and national followings.

Ralph had a much more difficult job - keeping the broadcast entertaining when the on court performance may not have been so good.

Reactions: steve williams
WOW.

Now will LeBron asked to be WAIVED ala Carmelo? :D

Reactions: WLVCA
With the Nuggs loss tonight and a chance for the Rockets to claim 2nd in the West, retribution as the Thunder claimed the lead at 112-111with 1.8 seconds left. Harden misses at the buzzer. PG wins it on his 3 point shot wit 18 left. Interesting Harden who was perfect at the line until the end when he misses one which made the difference in the game

Thunder win and Rockets stay in 3rd

Likely best if the Lakers take their time and look for a seasoned basketball management professional to run that side of their operation.

Perhaps someone like former Cavalier GM David Griffin who has already worked with LeBron. Danny Ferry might be another good candidate. Both are being considered by the Pelicans - Ferry has been their interim GM recently.

Likely best to go with a known entity with a solid management background rather that a former Laker player. Seems to me that making a fresh start would be the best thing to do. People with family connections and Laker heroes haven't worked out.

LeBron's presence complicates the situation given that he's looking to win right now.

Never considered that Magic would step down but also didn't realize that Magic wasn't giving 100% to the Lakers as reports indicate.

On the other hand, if I really knew what I was talking about I'd be working in an NBA front office now. :)

Edit - stunned that Magic didn't work with Jeanie Buss to leave in a more professional manner.

It would really be funny if Larry Bird's name come up. :)

I just turned on NBA Game Time Live and former Cleveland GM David Griffin is on the panel.

For some reason he has on a lavender shirt and a purple tie.

I don't think that is a coincidence! ;)

Reactions: jadis
Shaq is on NBA TV and just said the Lakers should hire Jerry West to be their general manager or President of Basketball Operations..

Shaq is on NBA TV and just said the Lakers should hire Jerry West to be their general manager or President of Basketball Operations..

I doubt that would happen. West is in the process of making the Clippers really good.

Last edited:
No offense intended but perhaps it is time for the Buss family to sell the Lakers - take the $4 billion and go home.

There was only one Jerry Buss and he had an incredible run. Not sure he could do the same in today's NBA when strong professional management and command of analytics rule the day.

Different era, different skills required.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu