New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There is no doubt that this was not a fluke series win. Simply put the Raptors destroyed the Bucks and Giannis. At times Giannis seemed like a fish out of water watching as his team circled the toilet bowl

Having said that Imo the biggest reason for the Raptors advancing was Lowry’s shot finally returned and Van Vleet was spreading the floor by raining down 3’s from everywhere.

When Giannis had the ball and took it to the basket he was met by a brick wall of defenders. He looked confused so many times

As Kawhi said to Giannis at the end that “he has come a long way and that he should continue to work hard

Kawhi is a man of few emotions and talks candidly by saying he just wants to win

I would have bet money this season would come down to Bucks and Warriors but the better team clearly won

Let’s also not forget that the Raptors hold home court advantage.

My son is calling Raptors in 6. As an ex Toronto native I wouldn’t mind if the Raptors win the title but I still feel the Warriors are tough to beat.

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Gotta hand it to the Toronto organization from top to the bottom. Fired their Coach of the Year. Got rid of de Rozan but got Leonard and Green. Added Gasol. They just doused the word Chemistry down the drain.

100% agreement. One ballsy move after another by Ujiri.

Even though they have the best player on the floor, hard for me to see how the Raps beat GS.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I need to ponder on how one Fred van Vleet was an undrafted player in 2006. And why he has nerves of steel in these playoffs.

Steve Williams

Phil

I found this most interesting in the link you provided

The Lakers are rumored to be plotting to get Antetokounmpo. If there are signs he’ll actually become available, many other teams will line up just for a chance to sign him. Antetokounmpo is a special player, a superstar at age 24.

He also needed this loss. Having never advanced past the first round before this year, he didn’t fully grasp the high level of play and intensity this deep into playoffs. He hadn’t felt the heartache of coming so close and falling short, a highly effective motivator. Raptors like Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol had already faced these tests, and that had a lot to do with Toronto winning.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil

I found this most interesting in the link you provided

The Lakers are rumored to be plotting to get Antetokounmpo. If there are signs he’ll actually become available, many other teams will line up just for a chance to sign him. Antetokounmpo is a special player, a superstar at age 24.

He also needed this loss. Having never advanced past the first round before this year, he didn’t fully grasp the high level of play and intensity this deep into playoffs. He hadn’t felt the heartache of coming so close and falling short, a highly effective motivator. Raptors like Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry, Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol had already faced these tests, and that had a lot to do with Toronto winning.

Very interesting, Steve.

Steve Williams

another interesting read

Finals preview: Durant's status looms large as Warriors face Raptors
The availability of injured superstar Kevin Durant could determine this year's championship series
Shaun Powell

Every so often the best team doesn’t win the NBA championship; sometimes it’s the healthiest. A few examples come to mind, such as the 1988-89 Lakers who lost Byron Scott to a hamstring injury caused by Pat Riley’s pre-Finals boot camp and then Magic Johnson similarly one game into the series with the Pistons, who swept. Then the 2015 Cavaliers, already without Kevin Love, saw Kyrie Irving lost with a fractured kneecap suffered in Game 1.

Maybe those two teams would’ve won, maybe not. It’s one of those basketball mysteries that’ll go unsolved.

Finals hub
Well, what the Warriors are trying to do is become the best team to win in spite of their health, specifically with Kevin Durant, who’s expected to play against the Raptors although precisely when, and to what extent, and how effectively, all remain unclear right now.

The Warriors romped quite impressively if not mildly surprisingly the last five full games without Durant in the final two rounds of the West playoffs, and while that bodes well for their confidence, at some point, conventional thinking says they will need Durant. Will he be around to bail them out when the ball doesn’t fall for Steph Curry and Klay Thompson?

Should Durant be the Durant who sizzled in the first round and through much of round two, this series might be short on suspense. And if DeMarcus Cousins returns? Well. The Warriors for the first time in five years don’t have to go through LeBron James to win a title, and while Kawhi Leonard is a former Finals MVP and rolling for the Raptors right now, he (or most any other human) isn’t on the King’s post-season level.

This has been a satisfying season for the Raptors’ franchise, which finally experienced a post-season breakthrough (thanks partly by LeBron’s defection). Yet: Kawhi would need to be a close imitation of LeBron to keep a national audience fixated and the Raptors close enough to prevent the Warriors from taking another summer champagne bath before summer officially begins.

Three things to watch
1. Will Kawhi Leonard survive Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala?

It’s one thing to see a solid defender in your path, as Kawhi did with Giannis Antetekounmpo. But what happens when the Warriors can throw Green and then Iguodala and perhaps Klay Thompson and maybe Kevin Durant, all of whom bring different looks? This could prove problematic for Toronto and frustrating for Kawhi, especially if Danny Green, Pascal Siakam, Serge Ibaka and company don’t rise up.

2. Can Kyle Lowry keep up with Stephen Curry defensively?

This will be quite the challenge for Lowry, to place handcuffs on a guard who averaged 35 points in five games (four vs. Blazers, one Rockets) without Kevin Durant and bring the same energy on the other end to ease the load from Kawhi Leonard. Lowry didn’t check a big-time scorer in any of the three rounds: DJ Augustin, JJ Redick, Eric Bledsoe.

3. Will any readjusting be necessary if and when Kevin Durant returns?

This is one of the more confounding debates raging outside the Warriors’ organization. There shouldn’t be any discomfort with Durant back in the fold unless you weigh the last four weeks over the previous two seasons. Besides, he’s surrounded by the most unselfish teammates he’ll likely ever have, starting with Curry.

The number to know
6.2 -- Through the first three rounds of the playoffs, the Warriors have outscored their opponents by 6.2 points per 100 possessions. That's their worst mark through the first three rounds over this stretch of five straight trips to The Finals.

Over the previous four years, the Warriors lowest point differential through three rounds was plus-6.4 in 2016, the year they lost in The Finals. Time will tell if the lower point differential is an indication that the Warriors are beatable (again). What we do know now is that, statistically, they just haven't been as good as they were the last two years.

All six of their conference semifinal games against the Houston Rockets were within five points in the last five minutes. And though they swept Portland in the conference finals, they trailed for 51 percent of the minutes in that series and by at least 17 points in each of the last three games.

It's on defense where the Warriors haven't been as strong this year. In each of the previous four years, they allowed fewer points per 100 possessions than the postseason average through the first three rounds (5.3 fewer than the average in 2015, 1.6 fewer in '16, 8.7 fewer in '17, and 6.5 fewer in '18). In these playoffs, they've allowed 110.2 points per 100 possessions, a mark which ranks ninth among the 16 teams and is 1.8 points per 100 possessions more than the average (108.4).

Of course, the Warriors' offense, despite the absence of Kevin Durant for the last five games, has never been better. Over 16 games, the Warriors have scored 116.4 points per 100 possessions, 8.0 more than the league average. And ridiculously efficient offense just might be enough for a third straight championship.

-- John Schuhmann

The pick
The Raptors rolled the dice last summer to get Kawhi Leonard and even if they lose this series and he leaves through free agency, it was a gamble well worth taking if only because they’re in the NBA Finals. Canada will be forever grateful. Still, in spite of that, and also Kawhi’s sizzling playoff run, Toronto is at a disadvantage everywhere except fan support. A fully-loaded Warriors team wins easily. A team with Kevin Durant missing a pair of games wins a little less easily. Warriors in 5.

Series schedule
Game 1: Thur, May 30, Golden State at Toronto | 9 ET (ABC)
Game 2: Sun, June 2, Golden State at Toronto | 8 ET (ABC)
Game 3: Wed, June 5, Toronto at Golden State | 9 ET (ABC)
Game 4: Fri, June 7, Toronto at Golden State | 9 ET (ABC)
*Game 5: Mon, June 10, Golden State at Toronto | 9 ET (ABC)
*Game 6: Thur, June 13, Toronto at Golden State | 9 ET (ABC)
*Game 7: Sun, June 16, Golden State at Toronto | 8 ET (ABC)

* – If Necessary

Reactions: christoph and jadis

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I knew Kawhi was good but he is even better than I realized. From a selfish perspective I don't know how you leave a team you took to the Finals so it seems more likely Kawhi will stay in Toronto and not join the Clippers. Amazing comeback by the Raptors down 2-0 and the winning 4 straight.

Glad to see a Canadian team make the NBA finals though - too many American teams have won the Stanley Cup when hockey is Canada's national sport. Turnabout seems fair to me.

Changing gears, I listened to a podcast a couple days ago that Woj did with Pascal Siakam, the Raptors player from Cameroon that I didn't know about. What a great story. He was in a Catholic seminary studying to be a priest when his basketball talent emerged. He finished high school in the USA and then went to New Mexico State to play basketball. His father was not happy he gave up his religious vocation.

Very interesting young man that I will be watching more closely now that I know more about him.

I'll be rooting for the Raptors in the Finals - time for someone else to win the championship. I am a glutton for punishment since the Warriors are heavy favorites. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I knew Kawhi was good but he is even better than I realized. From a selfish perspective I don't know how you leave a team you took to the Finals so it seems more likely Kawhi will stay in Toronto and not join the Clippers. Amazing comeback by the Raptors down 2-0 and the winning 4 straight.

Glad to see a Canadian team make the NBA finals though - too many American teams have won the Stanley Cup when hockey is Canada's national sport. Turnabout seems fair to me.

Changing gears, I listened to a podcast a couple days ago that Woj did with Pascal Siakam, the Raptors player from Cameroon that I didn't know about. What a great story. He was in a Catholic seminary studying to be a priest when his basketball talent emerged. He finished high school in the USA and then went to New Mexico State to play basketball. His father was not happy he gave up his religious vocation.

Very interesting young man that I will be watching more closely now that I know more about him.

I'll be rooting for the Raptors in the Finals - time for someone else to win the championship. I am a glutton for punishment since the Warriors are heavy favorites. :)

I only heard of the name Siakam the first time in the playoffs this year, same with the name Nick Nurse. I think Van Vleet too, I've never heard from last season. And these are the guys who are the non 'branded' names that have brought Toronto to where it is now, a shot a the title.

Who do I root for now that the Bucks and Giannis are gone? That's tough. :D Either way, I would just like to see KD go to another team next season. The sweep of the Blazers told me that the Warriors as very very potent as the were when they first won the title in 2015. It was not an easy walk but the competition was fierce. My son had been ringing my ears for years that KD going to the Warriors simply was not 'fair' as it tilts the game into a foregone conclusion. Starting this season I really felt like him. The Splash Brothers swishing their way through without KD, that is more of a 'balanced' sight though they still swept a very good and energetic Portland team. To me , KD's legacy will be all about riding in a championship team and getting his rings. My son pointed out that when LeBron joined Miami, it was not a championship team with Wade (Shaq was also traded out), and they had to add Bosh. If KD really joins the Knicks, I would salute him and follow how he leads that team to victories. Boston went 29-53 in 1978. Bird came in and their record became 61-21. There was no McHale and Parish even, but an aging Pistol Pete Maravich. :D (No, Pete didn't help much). Anyway, I digress, so bottom line, I'm rooting for the Warriors, with out without KD. I can't seem to root for another Eastern power. :D

Steve Williams

I only heard of the name Siakam the first time in the playoffs this year, same with the name Nick Nurse. I think Van Vleet too, I've never heard from last season. And these are the guys who are the non 'branded' names that have brought Toronto to where it is now, a shot a the title.

Who do I root for now that the Bucks and Giannis are gone? That's tough. :D Either way, I would just like to see KD go to another team next season. The sweep of the Blazers told me that the Warriors as very very potent as the were when they first won the title in 2015. It was not an easy walk but the competition was fierce. My son had been ringing my ears for years that KD going to the Warriors simply was not 'fair' as it tilts the game into a foregone conclusion. Starting this season I really felt like him. The Splash Brothers swishing their way through without KD, that is more of a 'balanced' sight though they still swept a very good and energetic Portland team. To me , KD's legacy will be all about riding in a championship team and getting his rings. My son pointed out that when LeBron joined Miami, it was not a championship team with Wade (Shaq was also traded out), and they had to add Bosh. If KD really joins the Knicks, I would salute him and follow how he leads that team to victories. Boston went 29-53 in 1978. Bird came in and their record became 61-21. There was no McHale and Parish even, but an aging Pistol Pete Maravich. :D (No, Pete didn't help much). Anyway, I digress, so bottom line, I'm rooting for the Warriors, with out without KD. I can't seem to root for another Eastern power. :D
I’m betting KD is done for the season. As I’ve said those muscle strains are serious and heal slowly and prone to recurrence.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I’m betting KD is done for the season. As I’ve said those muscle strains are serious and heal slowly and prone to recurrence.

Fast forward to 'done with the season'. Will KD host another 'Hampton's Presentation'? :)

If Warriors win without him playing a minute, my bet is goodbye time.

If Warriors lose without him, will Draymond Green text him again to come back, given their fiery exchanges at the beginning of the season? I doubt. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I bet this guy is a Dubs fan. :D

Steve Williams

Steve Williams

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would have thought in those days that Magic hired Pelinka. It is not surprising that things didn't work out well.

Steve Williams

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
GS in four or it goes seven, either way GSW FTW. I was watching Kerr on ESPN today and he very specifically mentioned not wanting to disturb the teams gained momentum by putting KD back in the mix with no practice. He said KD has not practiced at all, true or not who knows.
I liked when they asked him about his "strategy" going so deep on the bench and his response was "just trying to fill the 45 minutes KD played every game. He said we dont have any 45 minute players. Says a lot about the bench.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing