New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

To a Boston fan, that baby hook was like a dagger in the chest, with 2 seconds left, and made the Lakers go up by 1, in a Finals game. If I'f I'm not mistaken, LA then went on to wrap up the title at home the next game.

That was the one Phil

Steve, and it was a drawn out play, isolating Magic then he made his move. Big shot, nothing but net, over 6'11" McHale at that.

Lakers up by 21 mid way through the 3rd and lose to the Wizards by 5. Unbelievable is all I can say.

To the WIZARDS!! Mike Brown and most of the team save for Kobe and Bynum must go .. Rebuilding year 0

Hi

I wonder why nobody but nobody has worked on the skyhook .. Talk about unblockable!

I guess it's because it doesn't have the crowd rousing impact as a slammer, specially when the defensive player is posterized. And from a practical point of view, dunking the ball need not be learned, whereas mastering the skyhook will take years of honing.

Good points. It's very much akin to why no NBA'ers ever have sought out Rick Barry's help with free throws.

the hook shot is hard enough, let alone the sky hook. :) i've tried that myself from time to time and my percentage is probably 20%. :D

i've seen bob cousy do a little hook shot a few times on tape, and it's almost like a lucky shot attempt. :)

Yao Ming used the sky hook on occasion. Another factor I think is how much quicker players are now with respect to providing help defense. The sky hook takes a fair bit of time to set up and execute. Even Kareem will say he was never blocked by anyone directly guarding him. I guess that implies he's been blocked from behind and stripped on the way. Still, I think it should be part of any big man's arsenal. Kareem also said a big part of the effectiveness of the sky hook is not just knowing how to use it but also where and when to use it.

Big Kareem fan here. Hey Phil. Remember the Magnolia Milk commercial? It was shot in my Dad's house. Jim and Joe got to hang out with him. They even took a swim and listened to Jim's stereo. I was at school. I ran home from the bus stop to find he'd already left. I was 11 or 12. I remember sobbing!

Yao Ming used the sky hook on occasion. Another factor I think is how much quicker players are now with respect to providing help defense. The sky hook takes a fair bit of time to set up and execute. Even Kareem will say he was never blocked by anyone directly guarding him. I guess that implies he's been blocked from behind and stripped on the way. Still, I think it should be part of any big man's arsenal. Kareem also said a big part of the effectiveness of the sky hook is not just knowing how to use it but also where and when to use it.

Big Kareem fan here. Hey Phil. Remember the Magnolia Milk commercial? It was shot in my Dad's house. Jim and Joe got to hang out with him. They even took a swim and listened to Jim's stereo. I was at school. I ran home from the bus stop to find he'd already left. I was 11 or 12. I remember sobbing!

Jack,

I've see films of Kareem sky-hooking over 7'6" Manute Bol, and of course lots of times over Wilt too. Yao had a few of skyhooks but none of the grace and follow-through of Kareem. Of course, when Kareem moved from Milwaukee to join the Lakers, that was a down moment for this Celtic fan. And naturally, I would NOT want to see this commercial, even when shot in Manila. :D But I do recall when he visited our country. My driver told me that 'Habar' was in town. I asked: Who? He said Habar, the big player of the Lakers. LOL He apparently used the 'spanish' prononciation of Jabbar. :D Frankly, during those 80s Celtic-Lakers wars, I couldn't really openly and vocally praise any Laker player for obvious reasons. But now, after so many decades, I am able to. :) And the retirement ceremony of Larry Bird, wherein Magic heaped praise on him, helped a lot. :D

Last edited:
Jack,

I've see films of Kareem sky-hooking over 7'6" Manute Bol, and of course lots of times over Wilt too. Yao had a few of skyhooks but none of the grace and follow-through of Kareem. Of course, when Kareem moved from Milwaukee to join the Lakers, that was a down moment for this Celtic fan. And naturally, I would NOT want to see this commercial, even when shot in Manila. :D But I do recall when he visited our country. My driver told me that 'Habar' was in town. I asked: Who? He said Habar, the big player of the Lakers. LOL He apparently used the 'spanish' prononciation of Jabbar. :D Frankly, during those 80s Celtic-Lakers wars, I couldn't really openly and vocally praise any Laker player for obvious reasons. But now, after so many decades, I am able to. :) And the retirement ceremony of Larry Bird, wherein Magic heaped praise on him, helped a lot. :D

I was a Showtime fan, Keith a huge C's fan. You can imagine the screaming that went on while watching the games live using our pirate antennas picking up the games from Clark or Subic. LOL.

Good points. It's very much akin to why no NBA'ers ever have sought out Rick Barry's help with free throws.

They think the underhand unmanly whether or not it would improve their results. Would be great for Dwight Howard who can't touch the ball late in a close game because teams automatically foul know his FT%. Hurts Orlando a lot.

In thinking about it, I dont know of anyone in the league who has a better hook shot, believe it or not, than Derrick Rose. It's more of a jump hook (kind of like Bill Walton's) than sky hook, but he uses it all the time to finish around the hoop. It's a killer shot, and he's probably blocked less than any PG in the league.

I was a Showtime fan, Keith a huge C's fan. You can imagine the screaming that went on while watching the games live using our pirate antennas picking up the games from Clark or Subic. LOL.

Yup, the Far East Network broadcasting from the American bases. We watched NBA games through that means too, me and my younger brother, who for some reason, shifted from being a Sixers fan into an LA fan since the Sixers got eliminated by the C's. :) So, during the '85 Finals, he would join me in the living room to watch the game (I was there first), but he would clap and hoot so loud beside me at every Laker point that in the end, I had to move to my own bedroom to watch the game alone but still, I can still hear his hooting and clapping from afar. :D Needless to say, the C's lost to the L's that year, and I think I didn't talk to him for a couple of days after the last game. :D

Whose that ? He must be a heck of a defensive player and/or a great rebounder to offset such an awful offensive form.

Whose that ? He must be a heck of a defensive player and/or a great rebounder to offset such an awful offensive form.

I really have no idea nor have seen this guy till this funny video. :D

Chuck Hayes. 6'6" F. STILL in the league after 7 years. 6 with Houston. Now, with SAC. Career average: 20 min/g, 6 rebounds and 4 ppg. his FG% is 50% and FT% is 60%. Amazing thing is, he actually scores despite his double clutch, falling in shooting form. There was another clip wherein he would appear to double clutch and fall BACKWARDS! :D

Lakers up by 21 mid way through the 3rd and lose to the Wizards by 5. Unbelievable is all I can say.

Just saw the game recap, Steve, and I must say that was unbelievable too. I rarely watch any Wizards game and all players mentioned in the highlights are new to me. There was a Wizards guy who was wide open for a layup but shot it over the top of the backboard. But they still won. One of those nights for the Lakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu