New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Did anyone notice that Portland dropped Greg Oden a couple of weeks ago after earlier restructuring his contract. Looks like his career may be over before it started :( Boy, do you think the Blazers rue passing on Durant (same as the Knicks passing on Kobe????).

Did anyone notice that Portland dropped Greg Oden a couple of weeks ago after earlier restructuring his contract. Looks like his career may be over before it started :( Boy, do you think the Blazers rue passing on Durant (same as the Knicks passing on Kobe????).

yeah, myles. what a sad news for blazers fans. sam bowie all over again. high draft, zero production. they could have gotten michael jordan over sam bowie then. but in the nba, they love the big man. yao ming was a top draft, but basically nothing happened to houston. and portland had to suffer through the career ending knee injury of brandon roy as well. tough luck.

Last edited:
Boston has surprisingly crept up in the standings, now tied for 1st place with the Sixers for the Atlantic title. Hmm, without Ray Allen the last few games, they actually won some on the road, tonight beating MIN while on the road. Losing Perk, potential starter Jeff Green, and JO, they now play with Garnett at center and has actually worked well. And despite their aging lineup and a bench that has no known 6th man nor star bench player, they have been playing well and giving their all. Credit Doc for a great job even though they're not going to win the championship. :D

yeah, myles. what a sad news for blazers fans. sam bowie all over again. high draft, zero production. they could have gotten michael jordan over sam bowie then. but in the nba, they love the big man. yao ming was a top draft, but basically nothing happened to houston. and portland had to suffer through the career ending knee injury of brandon roy as well. touch luck.

Conventional wisdom is that guards are a dime a dozen and big men that can actually move are a rarer commodity. Unfortunately rare doesn't translate to valuable very often in the PF and C slots. You still need the Gs to break down the defense and get the bigs their touches in their comparatively small comfort zones. :(

Every great big has had a strong point, SG, or SF to make them shine. Stockton/Malone, Shaq/Penny/Kobe, Duncan, Olajuwon, Moses Malone, and yes especially Kareem. Ewing didn't have much backcourt support compared to these guys so they were always bridesmaids in the East to the likes of Chicago and even Iniana. Yet we see teams go all the way with Centers that are purely role type players.

The problem with guards is that their positions require more adjustment from amateur ball to pro ball.

Conventional wisdom is that guards are a dime a dozen and big men that can actually move are a rarer commodity. Unfortunately rare doesn't translate to valuable very often in the PF and C slots. You still need the Gs to break down the defense and get the bigs their touches in their comparatively small comfort zones. :(

Every great big has had a strong point, SG, or SF to make them shine. Stockton/Malone, Shaq/Penny/Kobe, Duncan, Olajuwon, Moses Malone, and yes especially Kareem. Ewing didn't have much backcourt support compared to these guys so they were always bridesmaids in the East to the likes of Chicago and even Iniana. Yet we see teams go all the way with Centers that are purely role type players.

The problem with guards is that their positions require more adjustment from amateur ball to pro ball.

Good points, Jack. In basketball, height is might, as the saying goes. :) It's a great feeling to see a 'giant' run the court and do awesome things over their smaller opponents. That was THE show. I remember 7"4" Ralph Sampson dribbling the ball down the court like a point guard, and that alone was a spectacle. And NBA teams would draft tall men with height but lesser skills like Manute Bol and when he scores, the crowd goes wild. :D I recall in our local basketball scene we would recruit 'imports' from the US to beef up our local teams and those 6'9" behemoths would wow our crowd with their power plays. :D That's the entertainment part. Of late, we have to crack our heads on which player is playing the 1, 3, or 5 to complement each other. :D

So true Phil, the level of athleticism has gone up across all positions. Sometimes it looks like a floor filled with SFs. Most big men can ball handle decently these days, what a far cry from the 60's and 70's. I also think there is a downside to this. Players these days hang on to the ball much longer.It's like they all want to show they've got blacktop moves (no thanks to you Iverson! ). Compare that with the late 80's and 90's. I'm a sucker for three man transition plays employing movement without the ball and primarily touch passes. The Dream Team was the epitome of that kind of play. I think I saw more touch passes than crossover dribbles and i LOVED it!

Well, you guys know that my bet this year is on OKC

Last week the Thunder blew out the Heat in simple fashion and tomorrow we get to see the Bulls go up against the Thunder in OKC in what I believe to be the true preview of the NBA finals

Don't look now Phil but the Celts are 1st in their division and the sixers have fallen to 7th

Steve, thanks for pointing that out. The last time I checked they were tied for 1st in the atlantic division. The old guys seems to be getting their second wind back these past few games and the team actually had a positive 8-game road tour. Garnett was his old self against the Timberwolves. Maybe he wanted to show the MIN fans that he's not yesterday's paper against the young Kevin Love. :D

It goes from bad to worse. Amare out for at least 4 weeks and Jeremy Lin probably done for the season

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txknickslin

Yep bad luck :( Don't forget that Jeffries, one of their top defenders, is also out with a bum knee. OTOH, though he's no Amare, this kid Harrelson has been impressive in limited mins. Kids really only a soph (college) and they seem to have a diamond in the rough. Shumpert is playing well for them and now Carmellow has to step up his game. Knicks will live and die for the rest of the season on their D.

With the end of the season fast arriving why is it that I just can't get excited about the SAS even though they are 9-1 in their last 10 games and have the 4th best team record in the league.

Pop seems to know how to get the best out of his aging players

Watching the Thunder chew up the Bulls.

The Thunder are hungry, fast, explosive and exciting to watch

They remain my pick to win the Larry O'Brian Trophy. They are just too good

FWIW, I also believe KD will win the scoring title this year over Kobe

There are only 0.2 points between them

Game over....

Bulls didn't even come close. So the Thunder have beaten all of the top teams in the East and The West

Season isn't over but further predictions

Thunder wins the championship. (I just don't see any team containing their run and gun offense)

KD wins scoring title

KD becomes MVP

Scott Brooks is Coach Of The Year

Sorry Phil (Celtics), Frantz (Heat), Bob (Bulls) and me (Lakers), IMO the Thunder is just too good for these 4 teams to prevail.

In the West the silent team that is peaking now towards the end of the season is the Grizzlies but still no where close to beating OKC

SAS remains an unknown for me and I would never bet on them to win the West

The Celtics are looking terrific today against the Heat Phil. You must be loving it but so are all we Heat haters :)

Oh yeah, Steve. Just woke up early morning to watch the garbage time last 2 minutes and C's up by 19. Wow. Never expected such performance by the aging C's but one guy who had suddenly come alive due to the injury to Ray Allen is Avery Bradley who I'm sure nobody really knows of. :D The 2nd year guard is finally blooming to be show why he was drafted in the 1st round 2 years ago. Now the C's are using 2 point guards at the same time in the starting lineup, and that is pretty fast backcourt combo. Garnett and Pierce have suddenly picked up their offense too. C's now 15-5 after the all-star break. Agreed, Steve, the C's won't win the title this season but I sure will be happy if they can spoil the Heat's run if they meet in the playoffs. :) I'm gonna love watching the replay of today's game later on. :D

Game over....

Bulls didn't even come close. So the Thunder have beaten all of the top teams in the East and The West

Season isn't over but further predictions

Thunder wins the championship. (I just don't see any team containing their run and gun offense)

KD wins scoring title

KD becomes MVP

Scott Brooks is Coach Of The Year

Sorry Phil (Celtics), Frantz (Heat), Bob (Bulls) and me (Lakers), IMO the Thunder is just too good for these 4 teams to prevail.

In the West the silent team that is peaking now towards the end of the season is the Grizzlies but still no where close to beating OKC

SAS remains an unknown for me and I would never bet on them to win the West

OKC blew the Bulls off the court. Caveat is that Bulls were missing 2 starters, one
of whom is D Rose. We'll see how the teams look in a month.

We like to have seen Celts destroy the Heat and how they did it.

Anybody else rooting for Kentucky/Calipari to lose tomw?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu