new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Dear Marcus,
thank you for the heads up about the HH record, after i read your reply back then i order a new copy for myself and its a FANTASTIC recording,
side A of the first LP is superb, and worth the $$ for its own, the other lps you posted, i already had, so the HH were a revelation, thanks!l
You’re welcome. Glad you think so.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
as good as the recording is, I don't think it's the engineering equal of Lewis Layton's best works (RCA Living Stereo) or Ken Wilkinson (Decca/EMI). Then again, whose is?

Or Cozart Fine.

Yes ... whose is? Goodness knows we are waiting for that talent to appear. It's a big opportunity - just waiting for the right someone. I'm a little surprised no one has attempted to replicate the technique and process in detail of that era.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
For anyone who doesn't have the D2D set but is interested in hearing it, I'm going to do some needle drops of my set and am happy to upload and add the links here.

[They'll be 16/44.1 files (more than good enough SQ) and will only be availble for a limited time. If you do download them and Berliner Philharmoniker then happens to release a digital version in the future, please either buy it or delete my files.]

Mani.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone wants to sell one? If they didn't like because they felt it was too distant or too boring. Not sure why you want to keep it, really

Reactions: KeithR

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Best to actually download the file and play back on a decent DAC. Playing back on your phone or PC might not sound great as they might be performing SRC from 44.1 to 48 kHz in real time.

Mani.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
got the 1967 Jochum DG Bruckner 9 Symphony box set (DG 104 929/39) ; listened 10 days ago but they were a bit noisy so finally tonight i cleaned them and re-listened to the 7th just now. my new cables are more run in now too. really enjoyed this version of the 7th (Berlin Philharmonic). overall well recorded and nuanced, lovely pace and perspective. good alternative refined viewpoint to the Haitnik, but intimate too in it's own way. not boring.....to my uneducated ear.....for whatever that might be worth.

added note; my Etsuro Gold and these LFD cables really make many of my relatively borderline strident DG pressings come alive and settle down. just musical information, nothing damped down. not even any thought of hardness or edge. maybe that previous perspective was just me? opens up my path to pursue others.

sampled a few others of this box set and liked every one i tried.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
got the 1967 Jochum DG Bruckner 9 Symphony box set (DG 104 929/39) ; listened 10 days ago but they were a bit noisy so finally tonight i cleaned them and re-listened to the 7th just now. my new cables are more run in now too. really enjoyed this version of the 7th (Berlin Philharmonic). overall well recorded and nuanced, lovely pace and perspective. good alternative refined viewpoint to the Haitnik, but intimate too in it's own way. not boring.....to my uneducated ear.....for whatever that might be worth.

added note; my Etsuro Gold and these LFD cables really make many of my relatively borderline strident DG pressings come alive and settle down. just musical information, nothing damped down. not even any thought of hardness or edge. maybe that previous perspective was just me? opens up my path to pursue others.

sampled a few others of this box set and liked every one i tried.
Hahaha. I have been buying Bruckner Haitink, Solti, Bernstein, Klemperer, Furtwrangler, Schuricht, boxset and individuals since you started out this thread. Now diving into symphony big time. You woke up the devil in me Mike. :eek:

Reactions: Al M.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hahaha. I have been buying Bruckner Haitink, Solti, Bernstein, Klemperer, Furtwrangler, Schuricht, boxset and individuals since you started out this thread. Now diving into symphony big time. You woke up the devil in me Mike. :eek:

......as the General's eyes sparkled with delight!:p

superb big music, is......well.......really amazing.......and i just love it. glad you are jumping into the deep end.:cool:

Reactions: bazelio

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
OMG.... I’m glad I bought mine when I did.

ive been wondering about this one but don’t know the music very well. Does anyone have any thoughts? https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-recordings.com/rattle-sibelius-symphonies.html

Ah, Sibelius, a truly wonderous composer with his own unique style. Well worth exploring both his symphonies and tone poems.

Rattle recorded a symphony cyle on EMI in the mid-1980s when he was with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. I have not heard his later offering with the Berliners. I am tempted by it because it is (I think) live and on vinyl.

A review of this issuance on Music Web observes: "It comes as no surprise that this most beautifully played cycle by the Berliner Philharmoniker under Sir Simon Rattle overflows with humanity. Yet compared to the best of the competition the performances feel intensely rehearsed in a short space of time and wrapped in a rigid structural integrity. There is no real awareness of living with these works for any length of time. That valuable element of spontaneity is essentially absent as is often the icy chill and sensation of awe. Nevertheless these are expansive live performances that have a consistency of sound being cool, clear and well balanced. ...]."

There are quite a few Sibelius cycles published over the years. I have many of them. Lots to explore. Barbarolli, Colin Davis, Maazel, Berglund. If you want to 'discover' Sibelius I might suggest von Karajan's mid-60s cycle with Okku Kamu conducting the first three. Plenty of minty box sets available on Discogs ~$50. There are other choices, but this one is fine as an introduction.

Sibelius Kamu Karajan.jpg

Attached is the somewhat famous Sibeliusaurus survey. One guy's opinions but quite thorough. I agree with some of what he says. A good read.

Attachments

• SIBELIUSAURUS.pdf
    198.2 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Ovenmitt and iaxel

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Ah, Sibelius, a truly wonderous composer with his own unique style. Well worth exploring both his symphonies and tone poems.

Rattle recorded a symphony cyle on EMI in the mid-1980s when he was with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. I have not heard his later offering with the Berliners. I am tempted by it because it is (I think) live and on vinyl.

A review of this issuance on Music Web observes: "It comes as no surprise that this most beautifully played cycle by the Berliner Philharmoniker under Sir Simon Rattle overflows with humanity. Yet compared to the best of the competition the performances feel intensely rehearsed in a short space of time and wrapped in a rigid structural integrity. There is no real awareness of living with these works for any length of time. That valuable element of spontaneity is essentially absent as is often the icy chill and sensation of awe. Nevertheless these are expansive live performances that have a consistency of sound being cool, clear and well balanced. ...]."

There are quite a few Sibelius cycles published over the years. I have many of them. Lots to explore. Barbarolli, Colin Davis, Maazel, Berglund. If you want to 'discover' Sibelius I might suggest von Karajan's mid-60s cycle with Okku Kamu conducting the first three. Plenty of minty box sets available on Discogs ~$50. There are other choices, but this one is fine as an introduction.

View attachment 71632

Attached is the somewhat famous Sibeliusaurus survey. One guy's opinions but quite thorough. I agree with some of what he says. A good read.
Thank you @tima .... that’s an above and beyond response! Super helpful.

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
Five months later, $700.
So good to know ,,good investment I bought 2 one still sealed ..by the way historic context , after hitler comitted suicide 1945 next day 1 nnay the adagio was broadcast at the reichsrundfunk .according his order.....his last will..musically..

Anyway record touches the soul the more often you listen ...i wait 1 h after starting the system till tubes are ready and opens the stage...

theophile

My copy is number 88.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing