new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I had listened to my copy yesterday. I found the recording is good but not the best. I think Living Stereo vinyl are much better recorded.

I found the music boring. It is so long. Actually, I am more Interested in baroque and classical period. Romantic period is never my cup of tea.

Chris F

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I got mine a few days ago. I don't normally listen to classical however I do have a significant formal classical music education background (in piano) and have conducted a full symphony orchestra for 15 minutes as part of a university final exam in orchestral conducting.

I agree with the posters who find this recording exceptional. It is minimalist in the best possible way. The tone is impeccable pure/natural, the dynamics are big and full range, the image and sense of space is incredible. Also, having never heard Bruckner's 7th before I found it to be a stellar composition and the performance/conducting was superbly musical and enjoyable.

Finally I think it's worth mentioning the extras like the ticket, amazing analog print from the recording booth (I might frame it and hang it up it's that good), printed history/background book etc... The overall box itself is really over the top incredible. A send off of the absolute highest quality to Bernard Haitink.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The tone is impeccable pure/natural, the dynamics are big and full range, the image and sense of space is incredible.

THAT! and despite the timpani being further back in the soundstage

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
KeithR kindly played the entire Bruckner performance for me tonight. I stipulate that I am not well-versed in classical music performances or in classical music recordings.

I think the recording quality is extraordinary! One thing I do know is how much I have loved direct-to-disc since the first time I heard a Sheffield Lab recording.

I defer to others to analyze the string tone and timbre of the instruments recorded, but it all sounded absolutely natural and organic and gorgeous to me.

I, personally, did not have the sense that the orchestra stage was far from me in this recording. But I defer on that question to Marty and Kedar and PeterA and others who have more experience gauging sonic perspective.

I commented to Keith that the music sounded like beautiful sonic waves washing over you like the cycle of the ocean.

I hope this recording group applies this recording technique to my favorite classical pieces.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I just opened my copy this morning. Kept listening for a few hours. The album intrigued me in various ways. It is the best sounding modern time classical recording I own and is a very different sounding classical recording to what I have heard. The presentation of you-are-there-at-the-podium is what I am not used to listening Classical. Maybe it is the creator intention to give us a feel of the sound as if we were the conductor standing. You can hear tiny brushing sound of something that the microphone pick up. Maybe it is the sound of Haitink moving. I did not read the text that come in the box. The clarity, the crispness of sound, kind of like a straight up Vodka, is very different to the sound I am used to. To be honest I don't know if I will grow to like this type of presentation. Right now it sounds rather "interesting" to me.

Thank you very much MikeL for drawing me back to buying this album. I never enjoyed Bruckner 7 as I had said before but this album is so strangely good. Sonically it pulls me into listening following how each instrument plays, each moves along the conduct of Haitink. I listened the whole album a few times and my earlier thought that Bruckner 7 is "boring" is now all gone. Beautiful music. The rise and fall of dynamic without being abrupt. I am sure I will play this album often. I enjoy both music and sonic "different." This is quite a 180 degree turn from my earlier comment.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Dear Tang,

love your elegantly written feedback on this recording and glad you are enjoying it. agree it does make you think about what is happening, but in a completely natural way and not as a critic, more as a human. it's kinda about how we are relating to the playing and flow, not the hifi sound. sucks you in and immerses you.

Mike

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
FWIW, gave a listen some time ago to the Bruckner 7th from the box of 9 symphonies. DG from 1967 I think, with the same orchestra and Eugen Jochum at the baton. For $50 in NM condition (https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/465411452) it’s a steal if you love Bruckner of course. This box is also a proof that not all DG LP’s suck sound wise and I think it can easily compete with the Haitnik D2D in all respects. At the beginning I even thought it sounded better than the D2D but after another listen I realized these two records have a lot in common. Of course there are differences but they’re not night and day like. At the end I would probably choose a newer version because it sounds just a bit fresher but otherwise you’re not missing anything with this box and get additional 8 symphonies. So if you missed the Haitnik D2D box, here’s the solution and if you like only this symphony, there’s also a sigle LP version.

7FB4822B-0B30-4F55-B469-024308A1511F.jpeg

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Reading yours thwarted comments,dynamic/not dynamic,fantastic/boring,very natural/not very good,good image/not good,
yesterday i bought,are in stock,and is on the way,from Germany to Italy,2/3 working day,
so i am very courious to listen in my system,so i can understand your systems and also mine.
Very couriou

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I just opened my copy this morning. Kept listening for a few hours. The album intrigued me in various ways. It is the best sounding modern time classical recording I own and is a very different sounding classical recording to what I have heard. The presentation of you-are-there-at-the-podium is what I am not used to listening Classical. Maybe it is the creator intention to give us a feel of the sound as if we were the conductor standing. You can hear tiny brushing sound of something that the microphone pick up. Maybe it is the sound of Haitink moving. I did not read the text that come in the box. The clarity, the crispness of sound, kind of like a straight up Vodka, is very different to the sound I am used to. To be honest I don't know if I will grow to like this type of presentation. Right now it sounds rather "interesting" to me.

Thank you very much MikeL for drawing me back to buying this album. I never enjoyed Bruckner 7 as I had said before but this album is so strangely good. Sonically it pulls me into listening following how each instrument plays, each moves along the conduct of Haitink. I listened the whole album a few times and my earlier thought that Bruckner 7 is "boring" is now all gone. Beautiful music. The rise and fall of dynamic without being abrupt. I am sure I will play this album often. I enjoy both music and sonic "different." This is quite a 180 degree turn from my earlier comment.

Large scale classical music is recorded via multiple mics. There may be a main stereo pair and support mics for instrument groups, extra hall mics and so on depending on the scale and the venue so desired effects can be achieved in production (like how much of the hall sound you would like). However, in this recording there is just one position and one mic body (3 capsules in it), this creates the main difference and may be the reason for the lean sound (in respect to multi mic recordings). There is no way to make it more exciting, there is no way to get instrument groups balanced, bring stuff to front according to taste etc. The second important difference which is related to purity of timbre and dynamics is I guess absence of post processing and absence of tape, no conversions, no nothing. This is a very direct sound path for recording vinyl that I believe kept the timbral information pure.

Reactions: dan31 and Marcus

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
FWIW, gave a listen some time ago to the Bruckner 7th from the box of 9 symphonies. DG from 1967 I think, with the same orchestra and Eugen Jochum at the baton. For $50 in NM condition (https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/465411452) it’s a steal if you love Bruckner of course. This box is also a proof that not all DG LP’s suck sound wise and I think it can easily compete with the Haitnik D2D in all respects. At the beginning I even thought it sounded better than the D2D but after another listen I realized these two records have a lot in common. Of course there are differences but they’re not night and day like. At the end I would probably choose a newer version because it sounds just a bit fresher but otherwise you’re not missing anything with this box and get additional 8 symphonies. So if you missed the Haitnik D2D box, here’s the solution and if you like only this symphony, there’s also a sigle LP version.

View attachment 68214

Those are great interpretations, for sure. A little idiosyncratic with the rubato playing, the frequent accelerations and slowing down of tempo -- but very passionate! Jochum is one of the all-time great Bruckner conductors.

Can't comment on the sound because I listened in my pre high end days, but in general, yes, a good proportion of DGG recordings can be very good or even excellent, and the more capable your system is, the more you tend to find this to be true.

Reactions: MadFloyd and Marcus

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
... but in general, yes, a good proportion of DGG recordings can be very good or even excellent, and the more capable your system is, the more you tend to find this to be true.
Agree 100%.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

View attachment 68214
I have the same box set

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
However, in this recording there is just one position and one mic body (3 capsules in it), this creates the main difference and may be the reason for the lean sound (in respect to multi mic recordings). There is no way to make it more exciting, there is no way to get instrument groups balanced, ..etc.

Is this why the tympani in the farthest row back messes up the sound in various passages of Third Movement?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Arrived
If sound will be no good,because is one of the last copy.

Fone do only 500 copies,He says the first 500 dont change quality,after start to sell some few quality.
First 4 copies for him and put in sell 496 copies.

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: howiebrou

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am very courious
Some tell is very good,some tell is no good
I will check on my system

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Arrived

Fone do only 500 copies,He says the first 500 dont change quality,after start to sell some few quality.
Lol:). At least he is honest about it
You dont have that problem with tapes .
Its a shame you sold that C 37 in plexiglass , that was a nice machine

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had A80R and C 37 but never listen
I paid 6.000€ C37 and offer to me 10.000€ and I sold
I kept A80 but listen very few times

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Arrived

The numbers are not in order of pressings Gian, do not worry. We do not know which number is which. We also do not know if they have more than one master plates. They may have one master per 500. Fone makes one master so press 500. You can keep the quality by having more masters per 500...

Do not worry before listening, just enjoy the beautiful music with your incredible system :)

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I am listening now and I like and happy to buy
Vynil absolutely silence,good dynamic,very good body and transparent,but natural and sweet
Big scene and good depth
Listened with Vyger and Opus

I agree. Just got my copy today:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing