new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

TLi

May 27, 2016
Mine is 32/1884, small enough.

Very nice records nevertheless. IMAG3347.jpg

Reactions: ack

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So half the forum thinks a $200 record is less than inspiring. Maybe I should just sell mine before opening.
Pls open, listen and comment. :)

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I find Most modern D2D pressings to be nothing like older D2D from 70’s and 80’s , been disappointed by most i have purchased, nothing dynamic to speak off ..

How is this box set ..?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The dynamics seem to be non existent in the first two movements. You get the feeling that you’re in the last row of the Top tier. In fact there is a picture included which shows the symphony well below the window you are looking out of. Inside this room is the cutting lathe for the D2D . Thats where I feel I’m sitting

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i think this is a case where we should just say what we hear, and whether it speaks to us or not. and avoid rationalizing why one system or listener connects, where another does not. it clearly seems to be polarizing. i don't recall such a case as this in the past.

then wait a week, or a month, or maybe another mood or level of energy, or maybe system change, and try it again.

i've already said my piece, and strongly recommended it. and anticipate another enjoyable listen soon.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So half the forum thinks a $200 record is less than inspiring. Maybe I should just sell mine before opening.
It's all in the ear of the beholder. Just enjoy it for what it is otherwise we miss the whole point of buying music.

Reactions: Al M.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Just received my copy a few days ago (after a month of so...).
The performance is magnificent!
Recorded sound is very good. The string section sounds amazing and very immediate. I can understand the complaints regarding lack of dynamics, the tympani are recorded a bit further back.
Surface noise is extremely low, however, there are occasional (annoying) ticks. Anyone else experiencing this? Maybe I should request to replace my copy.

Reactions: amadeus

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I remind once more that this is a one microphone (with three capsules) recording. You can not expect the sonics spectaculars of a multi microphone recording which are mixed afterwards with analog or digital processing, level adjustments, panning adjustments etc.

This is a simple and honest approach (does not mean easy to do) that shows the point of view from a single location. It won't be what you "imagine" a symphony orchestra should sound like. The recordings are generally engineered to create that illusion we have, a non existent version of a performance even if it is a classical performance. No recording sounds like an actual symphony orchestra as heard in a live setting. Neither the recording nor the playback equipment is capable of that. A recording/playback and a performance are two different things.

I know most people want to feel that their system or records/digital files are, "natural", "truthful" has "high fidelity" but they are not, they all are various tangents. The idea is to feed our imagination and make us feel as if it is the truth and that is the art of recording, mixing and mastering. However, like in all aspects of art, the artist (recording/mixing engineer) may choose to do it in many different ways. As listeners we are free to choose which ones fit with our concepts and enjoy them. If you are adventurous and open to learning, you can try different approaches and expand your horizons. This recording is natural in some ways that multi mic recordings are not and multi-mic recordings with processing are more natural sounding in other ways. Still they are not what the performance was...

Buying a record and not listening them because some people over internet are not in total agreement if it sounds good is really beyond me, especially in a place where people have spent literally thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on listening equipment to enjoy those very records.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I remind once more that this is a one microphone (with three capsules) recording. You can not expect the sonics spectaculars of a multi microphone recording which are mixed afterwards with analog or digital processing, level adjustments, panning adjustments etc.

This is a simple and honest approach (does not mean easy to do) that shows the point of view from a single location. It won't be what you "imagine" a symphony orchestra should sound like. The recordings are generally engineered to create that illusion we have, a non existent version of a performance even if it is a classical performance. No recording sounds like an actual symphony orchestra as heard in a live setting. Neither the recording nor the playback equipment is capable of that. A recording/playback and a performance are two different things.

I know most people want to feel that their system or records/digital files are, "natural", "truthful" has "high fidelity" but they are not, they all are various tangents. The idea is to feed our imagination and make us feel as if it is the truth and that is the art of recording, mixing and mastering. However, like in all aspects of art, the artist (recording/mixing engineer) may choose to do it in many different ways. As listeners we are free to choose which ones fit with our concepts and enjoy them. If you are adventurous and open to learning, you can try different approaches and expand your horizons. This recording is natural in some ways that multi mic recordings are not and multi-mic recordings with processing are more natural sounding in other ways. Still they are not what the performance was...

Buying a record and not listening them because some people over internet are not in total agreement if it sounds good is really beyond me, especially in a place where people have spent literally thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on listening equipment to enjoy those very records.
Bloody well said!:)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The dynamics seem to be non existent in the first two movements. You get the feeling that you’re in the last row of the Top tier. In fact there is a picture included which shows the symphony well below the window you are looking out of. Inside this room is the cutting lathe for the D2D . Thats where I feel I’m sitting
Some of us poor folk only ever get to hear from these seats!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

I suppose you could see if someone here will sell you their ‘gently used’ copy and you can sell yours for $1k at some point.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
No recording sounds like an actual symphony orchestra as heard in a live setting. Neither the recording nor the playback equipment is capable of that. A recording/playback and a performance are two different things.

Exactly, which is why a lot of us say: all we have is the recording, so reproduce that as best as you can and have no delusions about trying to transform it into something it isn't, much less the live event

ScottB

Feb 11, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I have some of the earlier performances of Bruckner on Philips with Haitink and the Concertgebouw. Great orchestra and great music but always found the performances wanting. In fact I can't think of a single performance by Haitink that that stands out. If I gave more thought maybe able to come up with a few that are ok. I took a pass on this LP since I didn't trust the performance to up to the task.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I just got my copy in the mail on Monday. Absolutely beautiful packaging and presentation. I’ve only listened To it once, and that was after sharing a bottle of burgundy with my wife . I don’t know classical music as well as some people here, but found this very compelling. I agree with @kodomo with regards to the recording; this is not a multi mic’ed or multi-tracked production. Enjoy it for what it is - to me it’s quite beautiful in its perspective..... I do hope to get a better listen this weekend though too. Maybe champagne this time?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have some of the earlier performances of Bruckner on Philips with Haitink and the Concertgebouw. Great orchestra and great music but always found the performances wanting. In fact I can't think of a single performance by Haitink that that stands out. If I gave more thought maybe able to come up with a few that are ok. I took a pass on this LP since I didn't trust the performance to up to the task.

Despite the recordings being digital, his Shoshtakovich Symphonies Nos.5 and 8 are pretty good.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Exactly, which is why a lot of us say: all we have is the recording, so reproduce that as best as you can and have no delusions about trying to transform it into something it isn't, much less the live event

I haven't heard from an audiophile yet who believes his system's sound is indistinquishable from the real thing. Think of the live event as a reference.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I haven't heard from an audiophile yet who believes his system's sound is indistinquishable from the real thing. Think of the live event as a reference.

This has been the claim of hifi equipment manufacturers since the first hifi component was produced by Edison! To some extent, a similar claim has been made by labels too. You must have been very lucky with the audiophiles you have met, because I have heard that claim a few times already.

Reactions: tima and Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing