new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

fjmcsu

VIP/Donor
Jan 10, 2011
Good news hopefully for those who have ordered. I posted on Tuesday that i would receive the collection in 5-21 days per Berliner email and in fact it arrived today (3 days).

theophile

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Today i am listening for the second time to this wonderful Symphony, Orchestra And Conductor and all i can say is at second listening i liked this recording much more than first time. I cant understand how some can think this recording is not Dynamic it is Dynamic, Natural,Wide and Deep soundstage its as close to the live performance as a recording can be i have the feeling that every time i listen to it again i will like it more and more..... Wonderfull!
I’m listening to it for the first time and it’s amazing. Agree with Amadeus 100%. Great recording and performance.

Reactions: marslo and amadeus

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
13 is my lucky number. You should send it to me Howie.

People who use Koda amp seem to get all dynamic they want. ;)

Well to be Honest Tango its not only the all the Dynamic i woud say all (!) you where looking for and little more:)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Well to be Honest Tango its not only the all the Dynamic i woud say all (!) you where looking for and little more:)
Gluttonous must be contagious. :)

Reactions: howiebrou

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I haven't bought the record. I don't like Bruckner 7. But it is good that many people have it so that can be referred to when describing sound of an equipment using the same soft ware in this forum.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't bought the record. I don't like Bruckner 7. But it is good that many people have it so that can be referred to when describing sound of an equipment using the same soft ware in this forum.

Tang,

i'm sure what you meant to say is you don't like the Bruckner 7th........yet.

classical is like that, a journey where one thing leads to another. there are so many corners of classical i could not get my head around, then......i did. sometimes it's even system evolution. your new bass horns might make a type of music essential that you could not previously fathom.....as an example.

that's even true for rock. 5 years ago i sold around a1000 70's and 80's rock records that were bands i could not get into. they had come to me in a collection. then 2 years later my mind opened to some of those groups and i kicked myself for being so short sighted. same with classical even more. i realize it's on me to get the music and to be patient with my progress; nothing wrong with the music.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

i'm sure what you meant to say is you don't like the Bruckner 7th........yet.

classical is like that, a journey where one thing leads to another. there are so many corners of classical i could not get my head around, then......i did. sometimes it's even system evolution. your new bass horns might make a type of music essential that you could not previously fathom.....as an example.

that's even true for rock. 5 years ago i sold around a1000 70's and 80's rock records that were bands i could not get into. they had come to me in a collection. then 2 years later my mind opened to some of those groups and i kicked myself for being so short sighted. same with classical even more. i realize it's on me to get the music and to be patient with my progress; nothing wrong with the music.
I cannot say. Maybe my liking evolve over time. But for now Bruckner symphony, I like the no 3 and no 8. I like drama, hearty touch and impact in music. The build up, the pace changing, to climaxes. The eruption. The 3 and 8 have that for me. :) Not the 7...for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I cannot say. Maybe my liking evolve over time. But for now Bruckner symphony, I like the no 3 and no 8. I like drama, hearty touch and impact in music. The build up to climaxes. The eruption. The 3 and 8 have that for me. :) Not the 7...for now.

7th is my favorite Bruckner. first and third movement are excellent. I heard 5th to 9th. Never heard 3rd.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
mine arrived today #787, no advance notice. obviously i started this thread and ordered and paid on June 4th. so 6 weeks.

but......it was absolutely worth it.

an unusual full symphony recording perspective for sure, but i was captivated. it's a textural and tonal dream-like experience. you are up front and immersed in this enveloping embrace of music. and the precision and lack of distortion in the grooves is unique. the air bearing CS Port tt/linear tracker -> Etsuro Gold -> EMIA silver SUT -> CS Port phono really revealed every molecule of information and i got an amazing amount of detail and sense of individual instruments and flow. like a field of wheat billowing in the wind in a ultra high resolution picture.

you did not get the same sense of huge space some large orchestral recordings impart, but such an intimate touch with the music. yet it had plenty of scale and authority. it's going to take me a few listenings to this to really take it all in. tonight i just let it wash over me and sat back and enjoyed it.

i could see it would not appeal equally to all; as it gloriously breaks lots of rules and has it's own message. you have to accept it on it's own terms. i enjoyed all the box set materials, and feel the specialness of this recording totally justifies that extra effort and expense.

i'd love a shelf full of recordings just like this.

1594357456887.png

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
mine arrived today #787, no advance notice. obviously i started this thread and ordered and paid on June 4th. so 6 weeks.

but......it was absolutely worth it.

it's an unusual full symphony recording perspective for sure, but i was captivated. it's a textural and tonal dream-like experience. you are up front and immersed in this enveloping embrace of music. and the precision and lack of distortion in the grooves is unique. the air bearing CS Port tt/linear tracker -> Etsuro Gold -> EMIA silver SUT -> CS Port phono really revealed every molecule of information and i got an amazing amount of detail and sense of individual instruments and flow. like a field of wheat billowing in the wind in a ultra high resolution picture.

you did not get the same sense of huge space some large orchestral recordings impart, but such an intimate touch with the music. it's going to take me a few listenings to this to really take it all in. tonight i just let it wash over me and sat back and enjoyed it.

i could see it would not appeal equally to all; as it gloriously breaks lots of rules and has it's own message. you have to accept it on it's own terms. i enjoyed all the box set materials, and feel the specialness of this recording totally justifies that extra effort and expense.

i'd love a shelf full of recordings just like this.

View attachment 67113

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Mike.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I cannot say. Maybe my liking evolve over time. But for now Bruckner symphony, I like the no 3 and no 8. I like drama, hearty touch and impact in music. The build up, the pace changing, to climaxes. The eruption. The 3 and 8 have that for me. :) Not the 7...for now.

Tang,

forget about whether you 'think' you like this particular symphony; get this as a musical event on it's own terms. like abstract art. mood music.

hard to imagine it would not touch your soul. you deserve to hear this played on a system.......just.......like.......yours.;)

trust me.:cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing