new---Berlin Philharmonic Direct to Disc Bruckner No.7 Box Set---order while you can!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

forget about whether you 'think' you like this particular symphony; get this as a musical event on it's own terms. like abstract art. mood music.

hard to imagine it would not touch your soul. you deserve to hear this played on a system.......just.......like.......yours.;)

trust me.:cool:
OK. Capitan Mike. :D

Just place an order.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am happy to see more positive reviews of this recording. Recording is not just a technical thing even though some may think so. It is a work of art, it shows the perspective of the recording engineer, his/her view of the performance. Isn't that what art is, different ways of looking at life and presenting it in a masterfully crafted way.

This one has a perspective that has been carefully and masterfully executed. It may not have the strongest colors or most vivid contrasts according to some but it is a beautiful and a natural perspective. I hope they continue with this series too.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Mine arrived today also. I was expecting a Euro return address, but instead it came Priority Mail from New York.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
7th is my favorite Bruckner. first and third movement are excellent. I heard 5th to 9th. Never heard 3rd.

I think the famous second, slow movement, written in anticipation of Richard Wagner's death, is gorgeous too. It is glorious how it modulates through a myriad of keys during its long, inexorable buildup to the big climax. In my view that extended buildup is one of the greatest in all of music.

I never quite appreciated the Finale until I realized that the bouncy, feathery, dancelike first theme in light strings and the heavily stomping third theme in brass are from very similar material, presented in different keys. As the music develops, it becomes a battle of that musical material with itself. When I listen to it that way, I think it's fantastic music. The chorale-like slow second theme provides wonderful contrast.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mine arrived today also. Will try to listen this weekend. Larry

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Just got the email with the tracking number today, looks like it'll be delivered tomorrow

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
My copy (#783) came today. Just listened to it. Beautiful; just beautiful. The packaging is quite nice too. A book, copy of the program from the event, ticket stub, a few pages of the score with Haitink’s notes, etc. Very nice. Love it

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I also got an email with shipping notice yesterday. The email said something about 7 working days for delivery so I didn’t pay too much attention. Maybe I’ll get mine today too.

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Tracking mine on USPS app after receiving the shipping notification email on Tuesday. it is to be delivered to my home today... Unfortunately for the first time in months I’m out of town :rolleyes:. Going to have my son go by and retrieve it once it is delivered so it is not sitting outside in the FL heat.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I expected more re. the sound quality from this LP. Everything is quite well balanced, I also can't criticize the portray of the soundstage but dynamics is definitely limited and that robs the listening experience of excitement, aliveness and drama. Instruments sound natural but there is quite some room for improvement in harmonic density. Although the orchestra is big and occupies the whole front wall, I think the transparency could be even better. To me this LP sounds very similar to the Brahms. I would prefer more demanding works from Shostakovich, Mahler or Stravinsky.

I totally agree and I’ve now listened to it 3 different times. I’m with Tang on this one.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice low number here. Thanks Mike!

1594513098853.jpeg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I listened to the first movement this afternoon. I wasn’t overly impressed. I fell asleep.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I listened to the first movement this afternoon. I wasn’t overly impressed. I fell asleep.
The lunch must have been big and impressive then.

Reactions: MadFloyd

LR319

May 7, 2019
Did anyone experiencing crackling noise on this LP set ? Mine did, on the second LP beginning part, LPs were cleaned with Degritter prior to play.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The lunch must have been big and impressive then.
Well I didn’t fall asleep. In fact listened to it a total of 4 times. Not anything I would listen to again.

Reactions: ack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing