New Kronos review!

Don't you think its premature to close it ? The only one causing trouble is Blizzard. If he keeps this up he should be banned Amir or remove trolling as a ban-able offense from WBF TOS and see how well that works.
If all you guys want to talk about is Blizzard, then the thread must be finished. I am hoping though everyone has other things to say. Let us manage the forum and not discuss membership actions/violations yourselves as that just makes things worse.

You guys sure seen to have an obsession with talking about me. I have been off of this thread for a long time but you guys go on and on slandering my name just for pointing out a few facts about Madfloyd's setup and vinyl like sound from digital.

lets see...you have been a member here since Sept 2015 and have close to 2000 posts. No one has ever blathered this much on this site or any other I can think of in so little time. That's saying something.:rolleyes:

If all you guys want to talk about is Blizzard, then the thread must be finished. I am hoping though everyone has other things to say. Let us manage the forum and not discuss membership actions/violations yourselves as that just makes things worse.

We are only talking about him since he has successfully derailed this thread Amir. How about you doing your job and getting this crap to stop ?

Could someone explain why the Kronos designer states that additional isolation of his table will degrade performance? My suspended SME 30/12 uses a similar suspension approach to the Kronos, that is four suspension towers supporting the platter/sub chassis with rubber bands, and it benefits from the additional isolation of my ballasted Vibraplane, particularly in the lower frequencies.

Also, are the dual motors on the Kronos isolated from the platters or are they mounted to the sub chassis which also supports the platter?

EDIT: I took a closer look at the photos in the review. It seems as though the dual stacked motors are mounted/fixed rigidly to the bottom shelf (main chassis) and that the dual platter/sub chassis sandwich is rigid and hanging from the four suspension towers and thus isolated from the motors. If this is in fact correct, than that is a similar arrangement to the SME. The motors are fixed awhile the platters and sub chassis are free to move.

So then, if the arrangement is similar to that used by SME, I am curious why the turntable does not benefit from additional isolation like the SME does. Even the fully suspended TechDas AF1, according to some of its owners, benefits from an active isolation platform.

Could someone explain why the Kronos designer states that additional isolation of his table will degrade performance? My suspended SME 30/12 uses a similar suspension approach to the Kronos, that is four suspension towers supporting the platter/subchassis with rubber bands, and it benefits from the additional isolation of my ballasted Vibraplane, particularly in the lower frequencies.

Also, are the dual motors on the Kronos isolated from the platters or are they mounted to the subchassis which also supports the platter?

Peter,

It's seems it doesn't matter if we talk TT's or Speakers...The manufacturers advise against it, yet when we try it for ourselves we hear the benefit. Imagine being the manufacturer and someone tells you your product sounds better using X isolation device...how would you feel/react ? This gets to the point of why for the most part manufacturers won't support or confirm the efficacy of isolation devices on their own products. That is how I see it any way. The old adage applies...YMMV.

The motors are attached to the Kronos plinth.

Attachments

• DC_Motor.jpg
    DC_Motor.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 197
well the guy has gone to great lenghts to give a product with inteligently implimented and designed isolation. its a bit daft to think he would advicate the use of third party isolation devices that may well interfere with the philosophy of his original designe. not to mention undermine his product design too boot.

well I had Gary from Genesis ask Nishakawa-san from TechDas the same question when he visitied him in japan regarding putting the AF1 on an active isolation platform. He replied not necessary. Well when I put my AF1 on the table stable active isolation table, the level of reproduction was brought to a new level(easy to hear). When the AF Zero come out with it's integrated stand, I would not be surprised if it had either a passive air or active piezo type isolation system built in to its stand just like the ones used for hi powered microscopes in labs.

Peter,

It's seems it doesn't matter if we talk TT's or Speakers...The manufacturers advise against it, yet when we try it for ourselves we hear the benefit. Imagine being the manufacturer and someone tells you your product sounds better using X isolation device...how would you feel/react ? This gets to the point of why for the most part manufacturers won't support or confirm the efficacy of isolation devices on their own products. That is how I see it any way. The old adage applies...YMMV.

The motors are attached to the Kronos plinth.

That does make sense, Christian. I'm only aware of the Rockport, which used a variation of the air suspension lab tables and the very new table (name forgotten) that uses an integrated active isolation solution as the two examples of turntables that address ultimate integrated isolation solutions into their designs.

Though I have not done extensive experimentation, I think another benefit to the way I have my set up is that the SME motor controller is also isolated by being placed on the Vibraplane ballast shelf. This keeps floor born vibrations out of the controller more effectively than the four small rubber footers do. In both the SME and Kronos designs, it appears that the platters are isolated by the integrated isolation bands from the motor vibrations but the motor is rigidly fixed to the bottom shelf (the SME motor is actually on vinyl bushings for isolation) but that bottom shelf is not further isolated from the floor. His may be some of the benefit of my Vibraplane also and perhaps the motor on your TechDas, which I think is separated from the rest of your turntable.

Of course, the other possibility could simply be that the Vibraplane isolates lower than the stock Kronos and SME solutions and your Herzan isolates even lower and more effectively than that.

in my case the NVS tt designer had their own isolation platform.

but when I upgraded my speakers from the MM3's to the MM7's eventually I discovered that there were limitations to the type of feedback the designed in isolation could deal with.

how many turntable designers have speakers that can do 7hz at -3db and 3hz at -6db 8 feet from their turntable? none. so their opinion about the situation is not helpful.

you have to be situationally fluid and deal with your own reality.

if it sounds better with active isolation it is. would the Kronos Pro benefit from active isolation in certain systems? likely quite a bit. but maybe not as much in other systems.

I would only advise any tt owner to be open minded on cause and effect. I know I thought all of a sudden lots of pressings had distortion and i blamed the pressings or my set-up until it dawned on me what was happening.

Last edited:
well the guy has gone to great lenghts to give a product with inteligently implimented and designed isolation. its a bit daft to think he would advicate the use of third party isolation devices that may well interfere with the philosophy of his original design.
these people are not daft, if he wanted it to sound like it had sillpoints on it or resonators he would of designed them in.

if you want to change the sound of it by using such devices thats ok but you can expect the guy to promote these practises.

That is certainly a possibility, spaz. But stating that performance will be degraded is different from saying that performance may or may not benefit from placement on different platforms depending on the environment in which the table is to be used. I have a friend who owns this Kronos Pro Ltd. table and he has considered getting a better rack, like the HRS.

It may also be something as simple as cost and developing a design within a certain price point.

Does anyone know if the Kronos has hard or soft surfaces under the four footers?

in my case the NVS tt designer had their own isolation platform.

but when I upgraded my speakers from the MM3's to the MM7's eventually I discovered that there were limitations to the type of feedback the designed in isolation could deal with.

how many turntable designers have speakers that can do 7hz at -3db and 3hz at -6db 8 feet from their turntable? none. so their opinion about the situation is not helpful.

you have to be situationally fluid and deal with your own reality.

if it sounds better with active isolation it is. would the Kronos Pro benefit from active isolation in certain systems? it's likely yes. but maybe not in most systems.

I would only advise any tt owner to be open minded on cause and effect. I know I thought all of a sudden lots of pressings had distortion and i blamed the pressings or my set-up until it dawned on me what was happening.

Wow, those are some low frequencies. I can certainly see your point, Mike, and this makes a lot of sense. In my case with limited output only down to high 20's Hz, I think the added isolation on my amps and turntable addresses structural or floor born vibrations. I suppose your speakers are also rocking effecting your floor. Some of that feedback is airborne directly on your rack and turntable, but there may also be some traveling through your wood or concrete below those kinds of frequencies.

It is interesting that the new Audio Union Dohmann turntable actually licensed technology from minus K to build active isolation into the plinth itself. I guess the question is whether the implementation where it is full integrated and part of the design process yields better isolation performance than putting your TT onto a 3rd party device.

Wow, those are some low frequencies. I can certainly see your point, Mike, and this makes a lot of sense. In my case with limited output only down to high 20's Hz, I think the added isolation on my amps and turntable addresses structural or floor born vibrations. I suppose your speakers are also rocking effecting your floor. Some of that feedback is airborne directly on your rack and turntable, but there may also be some traveling through your wood or concrete below those kinds of frequencies.

in my situation the distortion I heard was mainly in certain female vocals and cello and double bass. the MM7's also put out lots of mid bass energy with the -4- 11" woofers per side + the -4- 15" subwoofers per side. so it's not just deep frequencies although that capability results in a very linear bass spectrum. and those towers are 'right there' for the unified wave launch, verses subs at the rear farther away from a tt. kind of a perfect storm of energy looking for an innocent needle in groove to spank.

. . . Imagine being the manufacturer and someone tells you your product sounds better using X isolation device...how would you feel/react ? This gets to the point of why for the most part manufacturers won't support or confirm the efficacy of isolation devices on their own products. . . .

I like and respect A.J. Conti for many reasons, one of which is because he is an intellectually honest engineer. When I asked him if the sound of the Basis Inspiration turntable (which has an integral suspension) could be improved if placed on the Herzan, he said "yes, maybe about 5% better." (In the context of our theoretical ideal and perfectionistic WBF discussions 5% may be significant.)

you can over dampen things, lots of guys do. plus their are different isolation philosophys so this is a difficult area to be giving out soild advice on. hense the attiude of the designers is no surprise. magico and stillpoints? classic example.
we audio nutjobs often go sticking our fingers into thing we dont understand. some times it seems to bring good results but we still dont know why.

all part of the fun.

the great thing about a Herzan active isolation shelf is that it is 500x as stiff as passive since it can stop. so, by it's nature, it cannot over dampen.

passive can only float since there is no reactive mechanism to stop. the best ones don't float as much. but with passive it's always a 'listen first, then decide if it helps'.

I like and respect A.J. Conti for many reasons, one of which is because he is an intellectually honest engineer. When I asked him if the sound of the Basis Inspiration turntable (which has an integral suspension) could be improved if placed on the Herzan, he said "yes, maybe about 5% better." (In the context of our theoretical ideal and perfectionistic WBF discussions 5% may be significant.)

Thanks for that Ron. I guess that 5% will mean you will audition a Herzan (TS-140) risk free ? ;)
I estimate the AFO improvement is around that 5% figure using the TS-140. That 5% definitely matters to me. Sometimes I forget to turn it on and while listening....maybe just a few minutes in I start wondering why it doesn't sound quite as good. Sure enough, I look over and see the TS-140 turned off.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a Herzan (TS-140 is the one to go?) and test the Kronos on it then.
We have ours on a regular Solid Steel rack.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a Herzan (TS-140 is the one to go?) and test the Kronos on it then.

They are right in socal area. Check the Herzan site to make sure the TS-140 dimensions fit the Kronos. The TS-300 will definitely fit it. You can demo it under no obligation...just pay shipping of a few hundred bucks if not with in driving distance.

http://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/ts-series.html#TS MODELS

Herzan LLC
23042 Alcalde Drive
Suite E
Laguna Hills, CA 92653

fair point peter but what do you think is the most likely result of mr.audiophile or jo blogs messing with the complex integral isolation of a SOTA TT.

answer...

I don't see anyone advocating messing with the complex integral isolation of a SOTA TT. All I'm reporting on are owners placing turntable designs on separate racks and isolation platforms for better or worse results.

I don't know how to answer your question as I have not seen anyone discussing that that is what he/she is doing. Can you provide an example?

they are just right up the road from you in Irvine. let me know if I can help with that. Reid Whitney from Herzan is always been willing to demo them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu