New Kronos review!

Gosh, good call JVS. I would love to hear it, based in Hackney, maybe I should get down to KJ - do they have good demo facilities for the tt?

I have been into Kj - it is worth a trip if only for to have a look at some truly beaut kit. When I was in there last year I heard the Sonus Faber Aida powered by Naim statement with a front end of Klimax ds - that particular rig was not to my taste at all. Sounded very "hifi" and uninspiring. Did not get to hear any vinyl, alas.

maybe I should get down to KJ - do they have good demo facilities for the tt?

Not sure, I haven't been to KJ for years. I did buy an amp from them once - way back. But I'd be surprised if they didn't have good demo facilities.

KJ weren't an agent for Kronos three years ago.

Me too. I had a MkII for two years and the Mk V for ten. :cool:
What made you decide to jump all in and go for the Kronos Pro? The diff in price between the two is kinda mind-boggling.

What made you decide to jump all in and go for the Kronos Pro? The diff in price between the two is kinda mind-boggling.

The Delphi V is a great deck - that's why, for such a long period I never felt any compulsion to change it, until I heard the Kronos Pro, then I realised I was listening to something very special.

Number 004/250 was the first Kronos imported into the Uk. It was used at a few shows for demo prior to me buying it, so I was able to negotiate an excellent purchase price.

I had the privilege a few days back of spending close to 3 hours in Mono and Stereo contributing editor Dato Danon Han's listening room in Kuala Lumpur. Audio blazer ( forum member) and another friend were with me. Initially , Danon played the same LP, same track, on the Clearaudio Statement, followed by the AFO and finally on the Kronos. To be honest it was NOT meant to be a shootout or a strict comparison given different phonos( FM223 on the AFO and Vitus pre on the Clearaudio and Kronos). I was not familiar with any of the carts but was made aware that the Kronos combo had a 20db gain advantage. The Kronos had the 30k Vertere arm.
For the sake of full disclosure I should reveal that I am looking for a TT upgrade and was I hoping to establish whether :
1. The AFO and Kronos Pro are in a different league compared to my current TT, the TW AC modded to near BN status and ;
2. If the Kronos is pretty close to the AFO,though not necessarily better( to my subjective ears)
I think I came away with both my questions substantially addressed. Both Danon and Audioblazer have extensive ownership experience of the TW and Danon still has one. Both gentlemen were unanimous that the TW is not in the same league. Based on an extensive demo of largely unfamiliar material I was inclined to agree.
As regards the AFO and Kronos comparison, I think Detlof has pretty well said it all and I have little to add. These are superb TTs and honestly depending on the arm/cart combo you can easily make one outshine the other. The soundstage appeared deeper with a near floor to ceiling embrace with the Kronos though this could be a cart/phono attribute. The AFO was well mannered and polite with near zilch background noise. The Kronos had more bite and grunt. I have owned a Michel Gyro upgraded to a Strobe and loved what a spring loaded design can achieve in terms of air and energy as opposed to a mass loaded TW which has a better sustain and decay of notes. IMO, the Kronos combines the best attributes of the Michel and TW with a sonic picture that is several notches higher.
TBH the real revelation was that the Kronos can easily compete in the stratosphere of 100k TTs. This was the real eye opener and made the visit worthwhile.
A word about my host. Danon Han is among the most knowledgable audiophiles I have met. He was generous with his time, gracious and a real asset to our community.
I hope Audioblazer will chime in, in case I have said something amiss...
Pradeep

With the differences in gain issues & catridges , it's not a fair comparison . FM 223 phono gain 58db. Vitus 72db . Koetsu blue lace catridge rated at 0.3mv measured at groove velocity of 5cm/s @1khz ( if I m not mistaken ) compared to Triangle Apollo rated at 0.3mv measured at 3.54cm/s@1 kHz which is equivalent to 0.42mv @ 5cm/s.
With such differences , the Kronos definitely sounded much better , more dynamic & snappier where else AFO set up sounded shitty & sluggish comparatively . I heard the AFO system many times & compared with Kronos 3x, it's definitely not performing optimally . According to owner, when he did the review he had the Vertere & Apollo set up on AFO & transferred the Vertere & Apollo to Kronos for the review . To my ears AFO is quieter
We didn't test the clearaudio seriously .
However for the price difference , the Kronos Pro is a good buy

It is very rare for a review to actually include a direct comparison with another component while keeping all variables the same. Especially with turntables. It sure would be nice, though.

This plus 1000. The second the statement is made comparisons were made with two different cartridges, everything after that is pointless.

I know it's a pain in the hindside but it must be done.

The Kronos TT has got my attention front and center loud and clear and will more than likely be my jump into the rabbit hole.

It is very rare for a review to actually include a direct comparison with another component while keeping all variables the same. Especially with turntables. It sure would be nice, though.

To make things more confusing, if one may consider each turntable may have different synergy/characteristics with different tonearm/cartridge combo and claim even it is not fair to use same tonearm/cartridge to hear the best out of all turntables or to compare?! :))

To make things more confusing, if one may consider each turntable may have different synergy/characteristics with different tonearm/cartridge combo and claim even it is not fair to use same tonearm/cartridge to hear the best out of all turntables or to compare?! :))

Agreed. Criticisms will be brought up. But, direct comparisons are a start. This Kronos review, for instance, could have compared the two different combinations of tonearms and cartridges on both tables, and then comments could have included opinions of synergy between the various combinations.

Unfortunately, what is most informative for the reader or potential customer is not always what is in the best interest of the reviewer or manufacturer. There are also dealer relationships to consider which is why certain combinations of amps/speakers, for instance, are not shown or reviewed together. Lots of competing interests in this hobby.

Forums and listening during home visits to fellow audiophiles are very helpful in gathering information about potential purchases. The only direct comparisons that I have ever heard or done are in private home settings. And much can be learned.

This plus 1000. The second the statement is made comparisons were made with two different cartridges, everything after that is pointless.

I know it's a pain in the hindside but it must be done.

The Kronos TT has got my attention front and center loud and clear and will more than likely be my jump into the rabbit hole.
That's quite the jump from the Rega P1 in your signature. :eek:

Looking forward to whatever changes/upgrades you have planned or are considering. Congrats!

Wow, interesting! Seems like he liked the pairing so much he was lost for words :D

cheers,
alex

PS: hahaha did the same mistake as Ian, and thought THAT was the review... In which case, I figured he was amazed by it and was just lost for words :D

3 paragraphs is not much of a review...

Edit: my bad, the link is for the 3rd and final page of the review, one should start from the first page obviously...

Wow, interesting! Seems like he liked the pairing so much he was lost for words :D

cheers,
alex

PS: hahaha did the same mistake as Ian, and thought THAT was the review... In which case, I figured he was amazed by it and was just lost for words :D

Haha! My mistake guys..........here's the proper review starting from page 1. LOL!

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/kronos-sparta-turntable-and-helena-tonearm/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing