New Magico Speaker ??? 12-12-22

Compare Posrche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mercedes, BMW prices from 2014 with 2023 prices.

For probably the 100+ customers that will purchase the 2023 S3 over the next few years, their opinion will be different than the few posters here in this thread.

The Magico M series is what you would compare those car manufacturers to.

The S series is not. Mid range Tesla and alike prices have gone down.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1
The XLF price was $200K in 2014 , the XVX can't be compared to a XLF - it is a model between the XLF and the $900K WAMM.

But yes, most speakers increased significantly in price during the last years - the Alexia 2 was $58K, the Alexia V is $80K. .
Alexia starts at 68k. Hardly the 60% jump like the S3 but the market is the ultimate arbiter. Yes, aluminum prices went nuts, but have abated 30% with more to come. They are down year over year now but probably still finding the way through the system.

Not sure about all of Wilson models, but I know the X2s in 2014ish were I think around $150K. Isn't the XVX the current replacement for the Alexandria X2s now priced at around $335K in 2022?

If you need to (I don't really care) go back and look at YG, Avantgarde, Tidal, etc and compare prices from 8-9 years ago I think that you will see similar uplifts in price.

Edit: If you go back and look at the price of AL in 2014-2015 which is what Magico speakers are made from, the metric ton, raw material Al costs have gone up 35%-40%, then look at the shipping costs for these raw materials, as well as general inflation over the last 8-9 years. It all adds up and it's not just a Magico adjustment, it's a global happening.
I still buy a little bit of aluminum (well over 100,000 lbs per year up to 2010) and was paying around Cdn 1.80 per lb for a long time (probably including 2014). I was paying C$ 1.68 per lb for type 3003H14 that we use when covid started. By early this year, the price has gone up to C$3.50 per lb, so yes, it went up quite a bit. But… I just placed an order at C$ 2.25 a lb, so like lumber and steel, the price of aluminum has gone down.. between now and 2015, probably around 25% higher for aluminum, but what might have dictated higher increase is the other cost associated in running a business. Our company had 6 price increases since covid started and I still feel that we are eating up some increases in manufacturing cost. Do you want to talk about insurance for commercial property LOL..

Reactions: HenryD
Alexia starts at 68k. Hardly the 60% jump like the S3 but the market is the ultimate arbiter. Yes, aluminum prices went nuts, but have abated 30% with more to come. They are down year over year now but probably still finding the way through the system.
But unlike the Alexia, which, as XV-1 mentioned, is essentially the same product, with marginal changes, the new S3 is an entirely new design (for the S3). More similar to the S5, and S7 in concept, and now in cost :(

. In Australia they have gone down, has probably changed the last 6 months due to supply issues. Plenty of margin to apply to different markets around the world

Last edited:

thanks for agreeing with me. in 2020/2021 the price went down almost 20%. The last 6 months it's gone up, but still cheaper than 2019 release prices.
Can the same be said for the doubled price of the Magico S3 :p

The price changes have nothing to do with cost of manufacturing, just like the new Magico S3 prices. It has to do with manufacturer, distributor,dealer $$ margin.

1670908187583.png

Exorbitant price is the inevitable cost of trying to trap the back wave inside the cabinet.
One of the reasons why i prefer open baffle.

The price changes have nothing to do with cost of manufacturing, just like the new Magico S3 prices. It has to do with manufacturer, distributor,dealer $$ margin.
So 25% increase in aluminum prices, soring shipping costs (gas), higher rent, wage increases, etc. Not a factor, I guess...

As I see it, you can't really compare the new model to the older ones, price-wise or performance-wise. With Rosso, our entry to the flagship series Siena went up 50% when it moved to series 2. While appearance and name were similar, nothing else was. Upon hearing the improvements, it was clear why it increased so much and that additional cost was welcome. I see this as the same thing.

I imagine over time, the A series will become the 'real' S series, at least as defined by price points. It is already mostly there if not there entirely. They haven't abandoned the price point - they've just shifted as pushing technology and design as well as material and labor costs have increased.

As a distributor, I can tell you we don't like to 'abandon' price points if we can avoid it. Pricing increases are actually quite painful, albeit necessary.

So 25% increase in aluminum prices, soring shipping costs (gas), higher rent, wage increases, etc. Not a factor, I guess...

certainly not to justify the increase. remember the actual manufacturing costs are a small % of the sell price.

..thus, the price will return to normal when the economy settles down. ;)

I'm curious why Magico stopped at $50K for the new S3 (The more "affordable" S series).

Why not $500K, which is clearly a bigger number. That's a fact.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1
I'm curious why Magico stopped at $50K for the new S3 (The more "affordable" S series).

Why not $500K, which is clearly a bigger number. That's a fact.
M2, the least expensive M series speakers retail price is $76,500. The 2023 S3 is $30,000 less. It would seem that is more "affordable".

Btw, Magico sells a LOT of M series AND S series speakers as well as a LOT of A series speakers around the globe. There are a lot more Magico owners and people that appreciate Magico speakers (hundreds of Magico owners and admirers) than the few Magico naysayers on WBF. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB
I love Magico speakers. Owned Q3 myself. Would love to have the new S7 when it's available.

I believe the new S3 retail price is demand driven not cost driven.

I am sure Magico sells A LOT OF speakers and this supports my speculation.

I wish Magico was a publicly traded company. Then, I would talk facts. Now, I can just speculate.

I love Magico speakers. Owned Q3 myself. Would love to have the new S7 when it's available.

I wish Magico was a publicly traded company. Then, I would talk facts. Now, I can just speculate.
Yes, all of this pricing discussion is just speculation without anyone knowing the actual facts. Nothing wrong with opinions on the subject.

Also the pricing discussion has nothing to do with the performance of the speaker as no one has heard the new 2023 S3 at this point in time. The new S3 might end up being a bargain compared to more expensive speakers, Magico or other brands of speakers that are more expensive.

Reactions: GuyB

If they make enough money there is no need to be listed.

M2, the least expensive M series speakers retail price is $76,500. The 2023 S3 is $30,000 less. It would seem that is more "affordable".

Btw, Magico sells a LOT of M series AND S series speakers as well as a LOT of A series speakers around the globe. There are a lot more Magico owners and people that appreciate Magico speakers (hundreds of Magico owners and admirers) than the few Magico naysayers on WBF. It is what it is.
Calm down. I would not even be on this thread but for the fact that I am a Magico fan. I met Alon and he is a great guy. We had a nice discussion on why he prefers a sealed enclosure.

Reactions: owen lawlor
Calm down. I would not even be on this thread but for the fact that I am a Magico fan. I met Alon and he is a great guy. We had a nice discussion on why he prefers a sealed enclosure.
My comments were not directed at you specifically.

Reactions: Gregadd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing