New Magico Speaker ??? 12-12-22

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Just a thought, but If I were Magico, I’d be manufacturing my own Amps and Pres to drive Magico speakers - and others of course as well. I’m sure if Magico ever did this it will be top notch. They are already some of the best made and sounding speakers in the entire world. Imagine a perfectly matched amp to the mixture … Only draw back is that they’d probably be orange.;)

You might as well say Magico should start making active speakers.

Reactions: Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A preliminary report from TAS :

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I'll be the first one here to make an educated guess that a Magico M7 or M8 is on the way, based on Magico's apologies to me that their listening room's M9 will be vacated in April for some intense R&D work - I had intended to visit their facilities in April to audition the M9s after AXPONA 2023. I would be delighted to purchase either the M7 or M8, because it's just what I'm looking for in my new system which is being built. More on this later...

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
It seems pretty straightforward. If you are trying to guess their costs (including profit of course). Just calculate using the 40% markup. Of course, someone could tell me exactly what their margin is. I doubt that is going to happen.
After looking at the factory tour videos, I can see lots of test equipment and machining tools. It looks to be labor intensive. Nothing is left to chance. The high price seems justified.
The 40% margin generalization are dealer margins. You then have distributor that takes maybe 7 to 15%, then you arrive at manufacturer's wholesale price at about 50% of MSRP. That's Magico's revenue, and the COGS (variable cost) to produce would generally be about half of that, so 25% of MSRP max.

About 1/4 is the cost to produce, the rest of the cost and profit of the chain

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The 40% margin generation are dealer margins. You then have distributor that takes maybe 7 to 15%, then you arrive at manufacture price at about 50% of MSRP. That's Magico's revenue, and the COGS (variable cost) to produce would generally be about half of that, so 25% of MSRP max.

Thanx

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
The 40% margin generation are dealer margins. You then have distributor that takes maybe 7 to 15%, then you arrive at manufacture price at about 50% of MSRP. That's Magico's revenue, and the COGS (variable cost) to produce would generally be about half of that, so 25% of MSRP max.

Even 25% is on the high side on high end. It can be as low as 15% but generally is between 20-25% of MSRP.

Unless you are buying directly from the manufacturer I think 20-25% is acceptable in high end audio.

If you take customer discount, dealer profit, distributor profit, transportation, customs and various taxes, insurances and marketing into account msrp of x4 to x5 on cost is pretty realistic.

Reactions: divertiti

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
That fabulous honeycomb aluminium/graphene mid-range driver of M9 and A5 has to be installed in this 12 Dec new model and those thereafter!
:D
FYI it's only the honeycomb cone that is trickle down from the M9, not the whole driver. Same with the tweeter, only the dome is trickle down from the M9, not the whole tweeter unit.

Reactions: ICUToo

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
FYI it's only the honeycomb cone that is trickle down from the M9, not the whole driver. Same with the tweeter, only the dome is trickle down from the M9, not the whole tweeter unit.
ICIC
Thanks!

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Maico S3 2023 at Axpona....with CAT tubes.

5fe8d9ff17a4749327cd1c90c66b4a49.jpg 341028907_781778966434450_1026416971672041002_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GuyB and CKKeung

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would like to see a Magico M6 V2?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
  • Love

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Reactions: GSOphile

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I’ve got my sights on an M7 or M8, coming in 2025. Yes, it’s just an educated guess!

Last edited:

egradyh

Aug 19, 2018
I've been living with Revel Studio's 2's and REL 510 subs for many years. The Revel's are a good match as they are very smooth and easy to listen too. That is very important to me as I have a number of problematical recordings that demand a speaker that is grain free. If the speaker spotlights a microphone with a tipped up upper midrange, on massed strings, it isn't for me. It's the old dilemma, I want the detail, but not the edge.

The Revel's are a very old design and speakers have come a long way since 2007. The new Magico S3 or A5 look interesting. How do Magico's balance providing the detail they do without making less than perfect recordings impossible to listen too?

Reactions: GSOphile

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I've been living with Revel Studio's 2's and REL 510 subs for many years. The Revel's are a good match as they are very smooth and easy to listen too. That is very important to me as I have a number of problematical recordings that demand a speaker that is grain free. If the speaker spotlights a microphone with a tipped up upper midrange, on massed strings, it isn't for me. It's the old dilemma, I want the detail, but not the edge.

The Revel's are a very old design and speakers have come a long way since 2007. The new Magico S3 or A5 look interesting. How do Magico's balance providing the detail they do without making less than perfect recordings impossible to listen too?
Magico is true to source, although the S series tend to be a bit warm. What I’m trying to say is, get the most analog sounding amp, pre and dac you can. You will hear the components you choose from magico.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
IMHO you have to be choose your source carefully when auditioning Magico speakers. If digital is your only source, particularly if using both solid state preamplifier and solid state amplifier, listen to the difference between a transport and a music streamer. Put your ears on an analog source, and consider a tube somewhere in the chain, if you are not hearing what you like from Magico.

My previous Q3 speakers were ruthless (lifeless) to less than perfect recordings through an all-digital Boulder system. Prior owned sources include Ayre cx-7 e Mp player, mac mini, Roon Nucleus Plus, and Aurender W20SE. I've home auditioned Marantz SACD 30n, Aurender N10, Aurender W20, and clearaudio innovation. Prior owned DACs include Berkeley Alpha DAC series 1, series 2, Reference 1 and Boulder 2120.

My listening is virtually 100% turntable at this point. Digital (with some upgrades on the horizon) in my all-SS system can sound quite good, but the analog source is just fantastic.

All in my humble experience, my room, my power, etc etc etc

Skanda

May 2, 2020
i would add that the m series has a totally different flavor to the s series. yes you can hear similarities but m series is more refined and warmer. while it is more expensive i would not say it is _better_. to me, in my system/room, with my music the m2 was a better speaker in every way than an s5mk2 BUT i would not let price lead that decision - the s series (particularly the s5mk2) is tremendous and i could see why someone would prefer an s series to an m series.

additionally, after years of experimenting, i found magicos LOVE power. it really helps the speaker open up and do it's staging magic. it also helps with dynamics - nothing is going to make my m2's as dynamic as my diesis roma but that is a pro/con of topology. if you can go big watt class a amps on your magico thats even better. i found symphonic line in particular to be very synergistic with both magico s and m series

Reactions: gds7368

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing