New Network Acoustics eno2 system

Found the installation instructions chocked full of great tips! https://www.emosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/Datasheet_EN-85e.pdf
They do a wide range of units for different situations, mostly aimed at the medical market, but also the general computing market, train systems and audio. Many different specs, speed from 100mbps to 10gbps.

I think these also units reduce RFI because the LAN transformers only operate at the data signal frequency band, any other frequencies can't get through.
The unit recommended for audio is this one.
Specifications here

The one you picked out makes sense because you can never get a reliable wireless signal in a hospital. Much medical equipment is mobile or on wheels and the last thing you need to do it damage the RJ45 socket by accidentally moving the unit whilst plugged in, hence an auto-release LAN isolator.

I get your point. Problem is, a network has many variables on how its set up. And having the foundational infrastructure correct is important. It has a profound impact as you get closer to your streamer. Most ethernet devices plug in between you playback device and the ethernet jack in you room. So people like to clarify you should set everything up corectly before that jack in the wall. Then test the device in hand. Most serious audiophiles are going to utilize high quality routers, switches, power supplies and vibration control before the ethernet jack gets to the room. If someone were to give there opinion of what the Eno2 does without addressing the foundation of their data stream, then their perceptions don't have merrit to someone who has spent the time and money to do it right.
Agree. Who reason for my original post. The likely worst supply would be in a room in a hotel at an audio show.

No one needs to tell you that electrical systems have to be designed as a system, not sections in isolation. Same with ethernet, although it is vastly simpler in most domestic settings. An RFI filter makes no sense for optical cabled systems.

I don't even have a wall jack to contend with. I have one central switch for the house, the relevant devices are connected to that with 1m CAT6a (modem, Mac Mini hosting Roon Server and HQ Player, SATA network library). A fibre cable runs from that to the audio system through wall conduits and out a cable plate without any break. It then goes into a media converter (battery powered).

Reactions: NaimYourTubes
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply and good afternoon/evening I guess to you. It's evening here in London but I guess there's a good chance you're in the US.

I appreciate and agreed with the majority of your reply. And FWIW I'm not arguing for stronger/tougher moderation. These forums work best when people self moderate in my experience.

My annoyance (and perhaps my post was a little punchy) was that one person posted the advert for the Eno2. Kudos to that person so sharing the news and making people that might have otherwise missed it aware of the new product. But after that there is literally no discussion about the Eno2 and instead people started banging on about audiophile routers and ISP providers. I'd be genuinely interested in reading about that. But on a thread about Audiophile routers. It's not thread drift when the thread literally doesn't discuss the stated topic.

I just bought a Tempus. It's fantastic. As are Network Acoustics. But the Tempus thread really didn't help with my decision because they haven't discussed the actual Tempus for like a year now. Hence my frustration at this thread.

I also own the Muon Pro which is likewise fantastic. But honestly it was Audiogon rather than this forum that drove that decision.

I understand I'm not winning any friends here but there's a difference between thread drift and free association just posting whatever is on your mind currently. I think that's what Facebook is for.

Meantime if anyone has actual experience with the Eno2 then it'd be great if they can share that.

Apologies for being a grumpy Scotsman but such is life.

Cheers,
Alan
Here in London it's now 1:33 am.

Perhaps you could share a description of your data network from the street onwards (do you have fibre or copper ethernet?) and where you put the NA devices that made a difference.

As I'm sure you are aware, but maybe not those in Texas, here in London and the UK generally we have a mix of old BT copper networks being replaced by fibre, conversion now about 50% complete, and competing fibre networks, most installed over the last 20 years. I'm signed up with fibre. It makes a big difference.

Running the data through more devices also has an effect. The only one I can measure is speed. Ubiquiti networks are superb, but in my house it almost halves the speed. This is not critical, it's plenty fast enough, but who knows what various devices do.

Direct from wireless modem:
Screenshot 2024-10-27 at 01.46.34.png
Via switch/access point:
Screenshot 2024-10-27 at 01.45.25.png

They do a wide range of units for different situations, mostly aimed at the medical market, but also the general computing market, train systems and audio. Many different specs, speed from 100mbps to 10gbps.

I think these also units reduce RFI because the LAN transformers only operate at the data signal frequency band, any other frequencies can't get through.
The unit recommended for audio is this one.
Specifications here

The one you picked out makes sense because you can never get a reliable wireless signal in a hospital. Much medical equipment is mobile or on wheels and the last thing you need to do it damage the RJ45 socket by accidentally moving the unit whilst plugged in, hence an auto-release LAN isolator.
I was actually local to EMO's US distributor (in N Texas) for several years. They told me that the en-85e is actually best suited to audio use. I tried the en-70HD and a few others (en-30, etc) and found that the en-85e was by far the best. Electrically, it is also the most efficient.

I have several en-85e's and they work very well where full gigabit speed is needed. Not as well as a Stack Audio SmoothLAN, but better than a iFi LAN iPurifier (non-pro).

Page with audio use-case info:

en-85e:

I was actually local to EMO's US distributor (in N Texas) for several years. They told me that the en-85e is actually best suited to audio use. I tried the en-70HD and a few others (en-30, etc) and found that the en-85e was by far the best. Electrically, it is also the most efficient.

I have several en-85e's and they work very well where full gigabit speed is needed. Not as well as a Stack Audio SmoothLAN, but better than a iFi LAN iPurifier (non-pro).

Page with audio use-case info:

en-85e:
I think the Stack and EE-1 from English Electric (Chord) are fine devices.

I think the Stack and EE-1 from English Electric (Chord) are fine devices.
I haven't used the EE-1 in my systems, but I've heard one in a buddy's and they work really well.

The SmoothLAN has offered superb performance in my system. Besting some much more expensive Ethernet filters. The only downside for the SmoothLAN is that it is restricted to 10/100. Fine for an endpoint, but I use an EMO EN-85e (full gigabit) for my Nucleus Titan because I don't care to restrict my server to 10/100.

If they made a Gigabit version that sounded just as good, I would buy at least one tomorrow.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
I haven't used the EE-1 in my systems, but I've heard one in a buddy's and they work really well.

The SmoothLAN has offered superb performance in my system. Besting some much more expensive Ethernet filters. The only downside for the SmoothLAN is that it is restricted to 10/100. Fine for an endpoint, but I use an EMO EN-85e (full gigabit) for my Nucleus Titan because I don't care to restrict my server to 10/100.

If they made a Gigabit version that sounded just as good, I would buy at least one tomorrow.
You really are not restricting it as your server only uses so much bandwidth. Work great in my system I left the Roon platform long ago for Innuos.

for $175.00 I am going to give one a spin. They are just the next town over from me.

for $175.00 I am going to give one a spin. They are just the next town over from me.
Yeah I spent a few years in McKinney. They are good folks and it's 100% worth the effort to try it out.

Yeah I spent a few years in McKinney. They are good folks and it's 100% worth the effort to try it out.
I have been here in Allen for 25 years.

I have been here in Allen for 25 years.
We were practically neighbors. Allen is great.

I changed jobs and was forced to move to Houston. Not ideal. But the job is great so far.

We were practically neighbors. Allen is great.

I changed jobs and was forced to move to Houston. Not ideal. But the job is great so far.
I have a 10 state region and travel. Houston is okay could be worse.

Meantime if anyone has actual experience with the Eno2 then it'd be great if they can share that.
When I replaced a Shunyata Venom cable connecting a modified Meraki switch to my RPi4 streamer with the eno2 system two months ago, I worried that music became too relaxed, without enough digital bite. I’m used to it now, and happy with the sound…

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu