New refurbished Apogee Diva

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Thank you
I really love them and I do not understand why can be hated.
they do nothing but bring out the goodness of the upstream chain, if any.
They just fill me with hate when listening to obviously flawed recordings. It isn't the speaker's fault. It's the person that made it public.

Sure, for rare recordings that's really understandable and I get it. For public high volume artists promoting stuff that just sounds way off balanced - well. Sometimes it works, and sometimes with me it just breads pure contempt.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Till now the Diva are on wheels in order to move them easily for correct positioning. When it will be found, I will arrange them on spikes. Do any of you use special tips or those provided?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Till now the Diva are on wheels in order to move them easily for correct positioning. When it will be found, I will arrange them on spikes. Do any of you use special tips or those provided?
I wouldn't worry too much about spikes.

Structural integrity is where it is at and where you will get the most gains.

Start to think about half inch to one inch thick aluminium stands, preferably the latter, rising at least two thirds or at least half the way back up the loudspeaker. Bolted into much wider and longer bases with respect to front to back movement.

Get the rear wall of the speaker at least twice as thick as Apogee originally made them. Try and get the wood impregnated with a solid metal base frame structure that just says these MOFOs are just not fucking moving.

In other words, let the diaphragm move in an environment that doesn't.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I wouldn't worry too much about spikes.

Structural integrity is where it is at and where you will get the most gains.

Start to think about half inch to one inch thick aluminium stands, preferably the latter, rising at least two thirds or at least half the way back up the loudspeaker. Bolted into much wider and longer bases with respect to front to back movement.

Get the rear wall of the speaker at least twice as thick as Apogee originally made them. Try and get the wood impregnated with a solid metal base frame structure that just says these MOFOs are just not fucking moving.

In other words, let the diaphragm move in an environment that doesn't.
thank you,
before reading your reply, I was replacing the wheels with Soundcare Superspikes.

IMG_1462.JPG

Mid-high are more open and harmonical, bass are more deeper. Thus allowing me to increment the distance between the tweeters (more than 8' ), maintaining the listening position distance at approximately 12'.

Reactions: christoph

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
however, these speakers continue to impress me for the dynamic contrasts, for the size and depth of the soundstage.
The sound is uniform, coherent, integrated in each of its harmonic components, not to mention of full body of orchestral tracks.
I must say that the Tympani I have in the office seem more transparent in the higher treble, but the source is completely different (here in the office I use master tapes on Telefunken M15), but at the same time the Diva are definitely more natural in that frequency range.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Reactions: rugyboogie

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Your nice system remind me of my old memory.

34 years ago, I had been impressed with Diva driven by Krell KSA 250 at dealer's showroom.

But I could not afford it at that time.

Thus I had settled with Duetta Sig which I had used until 1998.

Last edited:
Reactions: rugyboogie

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Your nice system remind me of my old memory.

34 years ago, I had been impressed with Diva driven by Krell KSA 250 at dealer's showroom.

But I could not afford it at that time.

Thus I had settled with Duetta Sig which I had used until 1998.
Diva are still a modern project and comparing to the insane pricing of today's speakers, seems a bargain.
integration with Totaldac-Soulution chain is perfect. Treble air and soundstage depth have a connection with the bass quality and depth, givin an uniform music flow which never exceeds.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and thomask

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Actually, that's not such a bad idea. I am almost considering it;)

In a different way to the original, though. I think I like the idea of an extended Duetta. Maybe a foot and a half bigger. I just like the proportions of Duetta. Diva is just so skinny. Too skinny to my mind to hack decent bass.

That said, what do I know?

Enjoy what you have. But please, listen to what I have said. It's imperative. There are very, very few people in the world who have speakers that are as good. Really, even in 2023.

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Actually, that's not such a bad idea. I am almost considering it;)

In a different way to the original, though. I think I like the idea of an extended Duetta. Maybe a foot and a half bigger. I just like the proportions of Duetta. Diva is just so skinny. Too skinny to my mind to hack decent bass.

That said, what do I know?

Enjoy what you have. But please, listen to what I have said. It's imperative. There are very, very few people in the world who have speakers that are as good. Really, even in 2023.
DIVA skinny???
I do not think they are skinny, if you see the woofer area is almost the same of Full Range.

DIVA-FULL RANGE.jpg
Picture taken by the https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/apogee-full-range-fully-restored/

and I can assure you that the Divas have more than decent bass. It all depends by the quality of the amplification.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
DIVA skinny???
I do not think they are skinny, if you see the woofer area is almost the same of Full Range.

View attachment 102867
Picture taken by the https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/apogee-full-range-fully-restored/

and I can assure you that the Divas have more than decent bass. It all depends by the quality of the amplification.

I'm pretty confident that the FRs have "invisible" Acryl wings.
A visual trick from Henk the Apogee Master to make the FRs look way slimmer than they actually are :cool:

Wow, I really love the color scheme on those FRs (that I "invented" for my ex-Scintillas :p)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I reckon Henk made the best pair (visually, never heard them) of Full Range on the planet.

I haven't a link to post. I could probably dig one or two out if they still out there on the Intertwits.

But even taking a pair of those on is brave.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This was my thread showing Henk’s apogee full range

Thread 'Apogee Full range'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/apogee-full-range.19104/

This was on Henk’s grands

Thread 'What a week - concertgebouw, Mahler, Rattle, koda, neolith, apogee grands!'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...hler-rattle-koda-neolith-apogee-grands.20539/

these two on Henk’s scintilla as commissioned by Christoph. In retrospect, following the grands, the scintilla was the best, because it is smaller, more coherent than the full range, and serious bass. The FR has more bass, but is quite complex to operate. The scintilla has the pure ribbon of the FR so midrange quality is excellent

Thread 'Visit to Christoph: Odeon horns, Kronzilla SX, Aries Cerat Diana, Apogee Scinitilla'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...sx-aries-cerat-diana-apogee-scinitilla.22919/

Thread 'Zero Distortion: Apogee Duetta, Scintilla, and tussle with horns'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...duetta-scintilla-and-tussle-with-horns.22956/

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing