New Silbatone Amps for 2020

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard any of the new 109 or 107 lines from Silbatone, there’s supposedly a new JL 107 Integrated which I have read from someone at Mono & Stereo although I could be wrong calling it a real giant killer price for it is £15995 in the Uk.

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
hope to try the new silbatone amp [ i think its the 109 ] next week with my tannoys and impulse taus . be good to compare with the class D amps that i am using that cost 37 times less than the silbatone integrated . I have been exceedingly impressed with these little class D amps . will keep you posted on my findings . certainly nice to find a reasonably sized amp and my understanding its a fair bit cheaper than the price you qouted shaned

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Phil, I already heard the integrated, on TAD 2404 (two way with TAD 4003 and 1601c) in London. I guess it's on its way to you now.

Reactions: gian60

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
so the 109 arrived this week , beautifully built like a mercedes . very nice precise remote with heavy quality feel . its the epitomy of a smooth liquid sound. Marvellous with vocals. makes my class d sound a bit artificial with vocals . but i still like my class d with my electronica !! Very airy sound with much acoustic music .

fits on the rack easily which is great because so many of these amps are too big. this is a real world amp and would give audio research a run for the money

used with tannoy legacy and impulse taus .

P1060956 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060945 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060942 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060941 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060940 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060939 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

P1060938 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
These use that 'neohyb' circuit that JC writes about?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Phil if you can get these round to RFC Paul to listen to his tannoys or to Wokingham to listen to Tom's will join you

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Very interesting. It seems that Silbatone found a pleasant way to drive class D Power stage with tubes. I looked to Silbatone website but I've not found ant specifications or datasheet for their products.
Their past catalogues on paper were superbly printed and with full descriptions...:rolleyes:

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
ooh thats a good idea , but currently a bit tied up with stuff but i bet they sound good . I have as you know pauls highly modded impulse taus with his external crossovers . they are quite delightful

Reactions: bonzo75

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
ah is there class d in these amps , i thought it was hybrid valve with class Ab . 70 watts . its jolly heavy if its class d !!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very interesting. It seems that Silbatone found a pleasant way to drive class D Power stage with tubes. I looked to Silbatone website but I've not found ant specifications or datasheet for their products.
Their past catalogues on paper were superbly printed and with full descriptions...:rolleyes:

This is a much cheaper version of Silbatone. It is not similar to what the stuff in the Munich room is

Reactions: gian60 and ALF

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
wiring diagram for neohyb

silb wiring by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

from the silbatone blurb

At Silbatone Labs, we engage in a lot of experimentation and exploration to discover new things that work. Our patented NeoHyb current multiplier circuit is one of our best innovations yet. Although we use mosfets in this topology for their awesome current delivery capabilies, this is completely unlike previous “hybrid” attempts, which usually involved a tube driver slapped onto a transistor output stage, the worst of both worlds, and never a high performance solution. This is why we call it NeoHyb. It has nothing to do with 1980s style hybrid amplifiers. NeoHyb is a whole new direction.

Our NeoHyb circuit uses parallel mosfets to enhance the current delivery of vintage triodes, yielding greater power and allowing for more conservative tube operating points at the same time. The mosfet is completely locked to the plate of the tube and adds no measurable influence, except greater current swing. The musical performance and distortion spectra are pure triode.

All signal current passes through a Silbatone foil output transformer. It acts and sounds like a pure tube stage, only boosted in output power. One use for this technology is that we can adapt very low power tubes, some ancient antique tubes, even preamp tubes, to play loudspeakers so we can learn and understand what they can do, often with very impressive results.

We can take medium output tubes like our standby 300B and shake the walls with power. And we are able to dial down the dissipation in tubes for both great longevity and the often higher quality presentation they can provide when operating at more moderate levels.

One lesson in our NeoHyb project is that what makes these tubes so great has nothing to do with low power output, per se. The struggle with low power output of so many of the best sounding tubes does not have to be obstacle to enjoyment. NeoHyb will satisfy with a wide range of popular speaker types, not only 110dB+ theater horns! And even with the most sensitive horn speakers, the headroom and drive created by our current multiplier technology opens new doors for old favorites,45, 71A, 275A, 2A3,, and many other great tubes not given the respect and wide use they deserve.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
wiring diagram for neohyb

silb wiring by , on Flickr

from the silbatone blurb

At Silbatone Labs, we engage in a lot of experimentation and exploration to discover new things that work. Our patented NeoHyb current multiplier circuit is one of our best innovations yet. Although we use mosfets in this topology for their awesome current delivery capabilies, this is completely unlike previous “hybrid” attempts, which usually involved a tube driver slapped onto a transistor output stage, the worst of both worlds, and never a high performance solution. This is why we call it NeoHyb. It has nothing to do with 1980s style hybrid amplifiers. NeoHyb is a whole new direction.

Our NeoHyb circuit uses parallel mosfets to enhance the current delivery of vintage triodes, yielding greater power and allowing for more conservative tube operating points at the same time. The mosfet is completely locked to the plate of the tube and adds no measurable influence, except greater current swing. The musical performance and distortion spectra are pure triode.

All signal current passes through a Silbatone foil output transformer. It acts and sounds like a pure tube stage, only boosted in output power. One use for this technology is that we can adapt very low power tubes, some ancient antique tubes, even preamp tubes, to play loudspeakers so we can learn and understand what they can do, often with very impressive results.

We can take medium output tubes like our standby 300B and shake the walls with power. And we are able to dial down the dissipation in tubes for both great longevity and the often higher quality presentation they can provide when operating at more moderate levels.

One lesson in our NeoHyb project is that what makes these tubes so great has nothing to do with low power output, per se. The struggle with low power output of so many of the best sounding tubes does not have to be obstacle to enjoyment. NeoHyb will satisfy with a wide range of popular speaker types, not only 110dB+ theater horns! And even with the most sensitive horn speakers, the headroom and drive created by our current multiplier technology opens new doors for old favorites,45, 71A, 275A, 2A3,, and many other great tubes not given the respect and wide use they deserve.
Looks more like a Class A single ended hybrid that is trafo coupled...interesting...

Reactions: hifinutt

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
To me the various blog posts made by JC on these themes are some of the most interesting audio reading in quite a while.

Reactions: marmota

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
Had a audiophile colleague to hear tonight and this thing is sounding better all the time , playing cohen that gravelly voice sounds so real , the sweetness and realism is palpable . If i had a spare 10k this thing would not be going back to the dealer i can tell you !!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing