New Synergistic Research Carbon Tuning Discs

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I seem to recall reading earlier in this thread, or somewhere, that Ted Denny cautioned using too many, although I don't know how many that is.

andynotadam

Feb 28, 2022
I put the gold discs on the interconnects between my preamp and amps and the purple on the interconnects between my DAC and preamp. In my system and to my ears, he effect was anything but subtle. The sound became both clearer and more relaxed with enhanced spaciousness--it was more 'in the room." Bass was enhanced in terms of extension, definition and it clearly hit harder. The noise floor was lowered further and I now hear some low level cues for example in live recordings that I have never heard before. Decays last forever and soundstage depth was enhanced as well. I ordered another box to experiment with on my digital setup.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
highstream,
Yes, too many can make the music suffer. One per cable is all that is needed. And it matters which end it is applied. And perhaps which cable it used on.
The good thing you can tell right away and just change the direction or try it at another point.

ozzy

MOON

Feb 29, 2020
Do these come in mixed boxes with 2 purple and 2 gold disc in a box or are the boxes sold with 4 purple in a box and then 4 gold in a gold box ?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I received a single box yesterday. I started with the pair of purple discs, placing them on the source end of my only interconnect, which is used between DAC and amp. If you have heard the Purple fuse you have already an idea of what to expect with these discs. The impact is more immediately apparent as there is no burn in time. I hear greater clarity especially from the upper mids on up. The metaphor that works here again is that of looking through a cleaner window. The soundstage is a tad bit more immersive too, but I think that’s because the increased clarity is allowing more low level details to emerge. Placing a single gold on my USB cable as it exits my server seemed to further these impressions. I still have more experimenting to do with the gold discs and actually just ordered another box so I have a few more to play with.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have spent over 18k on my system in the last 6 month. And now your making me spend more. I'm going to get a couple. I sort of wonder what they will do on circuit wire in a panel or on a receptacle.

Reactions: kennyb123

MOON

Feb 29, 2020
Ted,
Would it be possible to place one of these tuning disc on an hdmi cable at the sending end for a improved picture?

Last edited:

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Yes, placing a purple at the receiving end of the HDMI does improve picture quality. Placing a gold at the IEC before a power conditioner works really well. And, I also have purple on my breakers.

ozzy

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Do these come in mixed boxes with 2 purple and 2 gold disc in a box or are the boxes sold with 4 purple in a box and then 4 gold in a gold box ?

Turns out it's one box with two tubes and a different color showing on each side of the box.

Just got mine from the mailbox and one disc was apparently loose in the box. After opening it, and as I was untying my shoes, happened to notice a small gold disk on the rug.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Just got mine from the mailbox and one disc was apparently loose in the box. After opening it, and as I was untying my shoes, happened to notice a small gold disk on the rug.
The lid holding my gold discs had popped off as well. When I opened the box a single gold disc popped out. There was no other gold disc to be found though. I figured that maybe one slipped out at the factory so I contacted my dealer and he will be sending another.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
I had a good improvement placing a purple disc on the top of the iec inlet of my power conditioner. my two golds has gone on the interconnect permanently and hence I don't know how the gold performs on the iec. Ordered a 2nd pair which might be be coming this week. Since these can have quiet a daunting bit of combinations of gold and purple, when do we know enough is enough ? ;)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Since these can have quiet a daunting bit of combinations of gold and purple, when do we know enough is enough ? ;)

That’s a good question. I’ve also thrown some of my ECTs into the mix. The Carbon discs replaced these apparently. The ECTs aren’t as effective but they still seem to be making a positive contribution in combination with the Carbon discs.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
While so far the reports here have been all positive, my first efforts on balance haven't been. Since my preamp is out for upgrade, as a first go I tried the purples in two locations: 1) on the end of the outgoing connector's shrink wrap for 6' XLR runs from a Lampi Atlantic TRP dac to ATC SCM40A powered speakers, and 2) one disc on the outgoing end of a USB connector wrap from an SSD with music files going to an Oppo 203. Cables are WyWires Diamonds.

XLR: Good news is noticeably greater clarity, coherence, smoothness, wider sound stage. Bad news is tonally a bit sour and decidedly lifeless, most noticeably expressed as a deadened upper end.

USB: same as above, but to a much lesser degree in each direction.

To be continued after a lot more experimenting with both colors.

Reactions: kennyb123

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
highstream,
Also try them instead on the other ends of the cables.

ozzy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing