New TAD M700 & M700S

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
That picture is from Singapore (where I am). The R1s are (paradoxically) easier to drive than the CR1s, since the R1s are much more sensitive. Listened to the system in the picture, the R1s are definitely great speakers, very relaxed and powerful sound, with the TAD power amplifier. Like you, the R1s won't fit in my living space, so I "make do" with the CR1s (the 3d generation TX). They're fantastic as well, in a different way. Better imaging than the R1s, I feel, probably because of the more compact enclosure.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I have the same view as both of you. For me, I would choose the CR1 over R1 in my small living room/dining room size about 3.5 x 6.5m.

just wondering if any one has heard the prev gen vs the current TX version? Not sure how much difference as the price increment is quite significant

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
I used to own the CR1 Mk IIs. If these are the ones you have, no need to change. Difference mainly cosmetic, in my opinion.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Kimura, thanks for posting this picture with the R1’s and CR1’s.

When the CR1’s first came out, I had the opportunity to get them or the R1’s (at a very good price). It still torments me to this day I didn’t get the R1’s, but chose the much more practical sized CR1’s, being in a New York City condo.

I have added subs to the CR1’s (supertweeters as well) to make them more full range. I do love the CR1’s and will probably never sell them, but the promise of the R1’s always haunted me.

Seeing your picture of them both together in a straight on view like that made me realize just how massive the R1’s are in comparison. I also think for my height and listening distance the CST in the smaller speaker is a better match. I’ve only heard the R1’s at a show many years ago, so I’ve never really heard their true capabilities. I suppose ignorance is bliss.

I used to hear a lot of live unamplified music in people’s homes and small jazz clubs here in NYC, and feel like the TAD’s convey a good dose of the live experience. I sometimes listen from the mezzanine level of my space to the system down below and while it’s way off axis vertically, the illusion of a band playing before me is uncanny. Here’s a pic of a very old setup but gives the idea. For a time I had the super tweeters aimed at the mezzanine level for listing at that position, as can be seen. View attachment 81882
Avidlistener

Can I ask what sources and amplification you use with your CR1's?

I am a UK owner of TAD CR1MKII's (the first stand-mount speaker I have ever owned) and they have been in my system for over five years now. My main digital source is a dCS Vivaldi full stack, re-clocked by a Mutec Ref10 SE-120 reference clock. Amplification is a Conrad Johnson GAT2 and a CJ Premier 350SA power amp, which is my oldest system component (17 years) and puts out a healthy 66 amps of peak current delivery (600w into 4Ohms).

I supplement the bottom octave with a brace of REL Gibraltar G2 subs (10" woofers), blending them into the main system at 29Hz or less and with the volume controls around 12 (easy to configure and adjust from the listening position, with the remote controls!

I am happy with my system sound (those famous words) but as I approach my 65th birthday in November, I have decided to begin the search for a replacement power amp(s). Three days ago, I had an audition of the TAD M600 mono blocs (ex-dem at £32K and representing the upper end of my budget) verses a TAD M2500MKII (ex-dem at £15K). The rest of the system was a Gryphon CD player, TAD DAC, C600 preamp and TAD R1 loudspeakers in a large demonstration room.

I was somewhat "underwhelmed" by the presentation of this pricey system and felt that the sound was slightly recessed and confined to the R1 speakers, albeit, with a defined centre image. The sound was relaxed and I couldn't help thinking, that my sound at home is more dynamic, with a much larger and deeper soundstage, free of the speaker boundaries!

Under these conditions, the M2500MKII compared very favourably with the M600's and bears further consideration.

Although the room was very large and well-treated, I think that it may be the reason why I thought the sound of the big system was somewhat restrained IMO!

Another avenue I am considering, is the use of the Conrad Johnson ART300 mono blocs with my CR1MKII speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: hairyderriere

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
For those that are interested, this is a photo of the system I listened to at the weekend, at a UK dealer, taken from the listening position.

Attachments

• ku0DnXgoQyi+MS1NLGeTiw.jpg
    ku0DnXgoQyi+MS1NLGeTiw.jpg
    633 KB · Views: 65

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi XCop5089,

You have a tremendous system, and I am familiar with individual parts of it, namely the DCS Vivaldi, CJ GAT 2 (former owner...in fact an owner of CJ preamps for 21 years consecutively until late last year), the 350SA (a stupendous amp I very, very nearly bought until going with the Gryphon Antileon 11 years ago)...and have also spent a little time listening at Pioneer Plaza in Japan to the TAD monos and R1.

There is a lyricism to the CJ sound which is unique (not the only one but unique particularly for SS)...and the TADs are very very disciplined behemoths. They deliver the pristine clarity of Glenn Gould playing Bach Goldberg Variations (as in the notes, the hammer strike, echo in the room, etc) more than the breathy air, very heavy hand he could apply to the keyboard, the weight of his sound plus his sometimes blistering but torrid pace with which he plays as well as his incredible slo-mo measured paces.

At least, those were my impressions from the day vs hearing the CJ 350 and listening to CJ equipment at home for nearly 20 years. The TAD monos are excellent but it does depend on what you are looking for.

Given that you own Gryphon...and also it appears the dealer whom you visited is also a Gryphon dealer by the rug in the photo...would you consider the Gryphon amps which I think you might find have more in common with the CJ 350? For 32K demo...you can pretty comfortably buy their flagship Mephisto stereo amp which is just a BEAST of a Class A amp 175 watts into 8 ohms PURE CLASS A, and doubling all the way down to 0.5 ohms...and doubling again at 0.5 ohms at peak power!!!

(BTW, I have used CJ preamps with Gryphon amps for 11 years...CJ ACT 2/Antileon, then CJ GAT/Antileon, then CJ GAT/Colosseum, then CJ GAT 2/Colosseum, then CJ GAT 2/Mephisto...all of it pretty much 2nd hand or demo...and wonderful sound throughout.)

Reactions: XCop5089

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
Hi XCop5089,

You have a tremendous system, and I am familiar with individual parts of it, namely the DCS Vivaldi, CJ GAT 2 (former owner...in fact an owner of CJ preamps for 21 years consecutively until late last year), the 350SA (a stupendous amp I very, very nearly bought until going with the Gryphon Antileon 11 years ago)...and have also spent a little time listening at Pioneer Plaza in Japan to the TAD monos and R1.

There is a lyricism to the CJ sound which is unique (not the only one but unique particularly for SS)...and the TADs are very very disciplined behemoths. They deliver the pristine clarity of Glenn Gould playing Bach Goldberg Variations (as in the notes, the hammer strike, echo in the room, etc) more than the breathy air, very heavy hand he could apply to the keyboard, the weight of his sound plus his sometimes blistering but torrid pace with which he plays as well as his incredible slo-mo measured paces.

At least, those were my impressions from the day vs hearing the CJ 350 and listening to CJ equipment at home for nearly 20 years. The TAD monos are excellent but it does depend on what you are looking for.

Given that you own Gryphon...and also it appears the dealer whom you visited is also a Gryphon dealer by the rug in the photo...would you consider the Gryphon amps which I think you might find have more in common with the CJ 350? For 32K demo...you can pretty comfortably buy their flagship Mephisto stereo amp which is just a BEAST of a Class A amp 175 watts into 8 ohms PURE CLASS A, and doubling all the way down to 0.5 ohms...and doubling again at 0.5 ohms at peak power!!!

(BTW, I have used CJ preamps with Gryphon amps for 11 years...CJ ACT 2/Antileon, then CJ GAT/Antileon, then CJ GAT/Colosseum, then CJ GAT 2/Colosseum, then CJ GAT 2/Mephisto...all of it pretty much 2nd hand or demo...and wonderful sound throughout.)
Thanks for the pointer regarding Gryphon, which I had not previously considered!

I don't currently own any Gryphon (the demo system at the dealer, used a Gryphon CD player, TAD amplification, Jorma design cables and TAD R1 speakers.

My front end sources are shown below.

Attachments

• image77.jpeg
    image77.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 33

Flamenko

May 13, 2019
Avidlistener

Can I ask what sources and amplification you use with your CR1's?

I am a UK owner of TAD CR1MKII's (the first stand-mount speaker I have ever owned) and they have been in my system for over five years now. My main digital source is a dCS Vivaldi full stack, re-clocked by a Mutec Ref10 SE-120 reference clock. Amplification is a Conrad Johnson GAT2 and a CJ Premier 350SA power amp, which is my oldest system component (17 years) and puts out a healthy 66 amps of peak current delivery (600w into 4Ohms).

I supplement the bottom octave with a brace of REL Gibraltar G2 subs (10" woofers), blending them into the main system at 29Hz or less and with the volume controls around 12 (easy to configure and adjust from the listening position, with the remote controls!

I am happy with my system sound (those famous words) but as I approach my 65th birthday in November, I have decided to begin the search for a replacement power amp(s). Three days ago, I had an audition of the TAD M600 mono blocs (ex-dem at £32K and representing the upper end of my budget) verses a TAD M2500MKII (ex-dem at £15K). The rest of the system was a Gryphon CD player, TAD DAC, C600 preamp and TAD R1 loudspeakers in a large demonstration room.

I was somewhat "underwhelmed" by the presentation of this pricey system and felt that the sound was slightly recessed and confined to the R1 speakers, albeit, with a defined centre image. The sound was relaxed and I couldn't help thinking, that my sound at home is more dynamic, with a much larger and deeper soundstage, free of the speaker boundaries!

Under these conditions, the M2500MKII compared very favourably with the M600's and bears further consideration.

Although the room was very large and well-treated, I think that it may be the reason why I thought the sound of the big system was somewhat restrained IMO!

Another avenue I am considering, is the use of the Conrad Johnson ART300 mono blocs with my CR1MKII speakers.
hello dear!
we have something in common, obviously the CR1 tx and mit, I have Matrix shd 120 and find them amazing with Boulder 1160.
I wanted to ask you what you put on the CR1 feet thanks!!!

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
hello dear!
we have something in common, obviously the CR1 tx and mit, I have Matrix shd 120 and find them amazing with Boulder 1160.
I wanted to ask you what you put on the CR1 feet thanks!!!
Stillpoints Ultra 5's

Reactions: Flamenko

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the pointer regarding Gryphon, which I had not previously considered!

I don't currently own any Gryphon (the demo system at the dealer, used a Gryphon CD player, TAD amplification, Jorma design cables and TAD R1 speakers.

My front end sources are shown below.
Nice digital and analog rigs! Do keep us posted on any exploration you take on Gryphon.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014

M2500 is a terrific amp. Transparent, linear, neutral and organic. I picked one up when my CAT JL7 was in for SE upgrade. It runs cool so mainly use in the summer.

If looking for a tube amp, checkout CAT. The CAT JL7SE has more drive than M2500.

A friend is driving his R1 with Mephisto. He prefer to Ch Precision M1,1 and D'Agostino Momentum after home demo.

Last edited:

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Xcop, I am running the very reasonably priced Bascom King designed BHK300 monoblocks.
I really love the tube input section, and matches well with my all tube preamp, the Atma-sphere MP1. Sources are PS Audio DS Dac fed via EtherRegen and Strain Gauge SG400 phono stage/cartridge. All plugged into a Niagara 7000.
I extended the CR1’s range with a pair of Velodyne dd10+ Subs and enigmacoustics permanently charged ‘stat super tweeters.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...If looking for a tube amp, checkout CAT...CAT JL7SE...

A friend is driving his R1 with Mephisto. He prefer to Ch Precision M1,1 and D'Agostino Momentum after home demo.
Interesting feedback. I have not done a shoot out but definitely spent time with the D'Agostino Momentums which were excellent. I also prefer the Mephisto to the D'Agostinos. Not heard CH yet but I have heard 3 or 4 make this same comment who have heard both. That said, I have also heard 1 make the opposite comment.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Interesting feedback. I have not done a shoot out but definitely spent time with the D'Agostino Momentums which were excellent. I also prefer the Mephisto to the D'Agostinos. Not heard CH yet but I have heard 3 or 4 make this same comment who have heard both. That said, I have also heard 1 make the opposite comment.
He found CH M1.1 lacking bass and not great match with R1 beryllium tweeter, too bright. Momentum is excellent but Mephisto has more drive and control.

Another friend have TAD E1 but have experience with R1. His favorite is Burmester 909. Same reasons compare to Momentum and ARC 750SE.

All comes down to system matching and personal taste. I don't have experience with Mephisto but Momentum is fantastic with Wilson Alexx, Sabrina and Alexia 2.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
He found CH M1.1 lacking bass and not great match with R1 beryllium tweeter, too bright. Momentum is excellent but Mephisto has more drive and control.

Another friend have TAD E1 but have experience with R1. His favorite is Burmester 909. Same reasons compare to Momentum and ARC 750SE.

All comes down to system matching and personal taste. I don't have experience with Mephisto but Momentum is fantastic with Wilson Alexx, Sabrina and Alexia 2.
Interesting feedback...agree on Mephisto v Momentum. Not surprised by 909 vs Momentum....and good to know on vs 750SE as well which is a tube beast.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Will there be a new TAD Series700 preamp soon?
You guys have any insider's info?
Visited local TAD dealer recently and asked about any new preamp coming.
I was told that no new preamp in the near future according to TAD.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I had a few sessions of audition of system consists of accuphase CDP, TAD c-600 preamp and TAD M700s. Speakers were either CR1 TX or R1 TX.

also compared with accuphase A250 mono blocks and M700s is clearly superior in term of the control, authority, noise floor, harmonics, resolutions, depth of sound stage. Pretty amazing electronics by TAD

Addition: Also compared M700S vs M2500Mk2. The difference I noticed was M700S being more holographic, fluid sounding and better harmonics retrieval. M700S delivers lower bass, M2500MK2 bass not as low but tighter in comparison.

Last edited:

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I had a few sessions of audition of system consists of accuphase CDP, TAD c-600 preamp and TAD M700s. Speakers were either CR1 TX or R1 TX.

also compared with accuphase A250 mono blocks and M700s is clearly superior in term of the control, authority, noise floor, harmonics, resolutions, depth of sound stage. Pretty amazing electronics by TAD

Addition: Also compared M700S vs M2500Mk2. The difference I noticed was M700S being more holographic, fluid sounding and better harmonics retrieval. M700S delivers lower bass, M2500MK2 bass not as low but tighter in comparison.
Hi.
Very interesting report…
I have CR1 speakers and C600 preamp.
Has M700S great slam and bass presence?
Regards.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Hi.
Very interesting report…
I have CR1 speakers and C600 preamp.
Has M700S great slam and bass presence?
Regards.

hi, in general I feel M700S has better ‘authority’ and presence compared to m2500mk2. The flow of music more fluid.

M2500mk2 is a great amp as well. Only in comparison, the big brother delivers more imo.

Ps: Nagra classic setup just arrives in dealer place. Will have a chance to listen and compares with TAD setup

Reactions: standingwave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing