New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

Hi Andromedaaudio, the risk is imho actually less than it might seem at first glance. (...)

IMHO there is a lot of risk. I respect reviewers but my preferences are very different from those who wrote the usual hyperbolic texts that we can expect on top high-end. I will probably listen to the Wadax Reference next month, but surely would never buy it without proper listening in my room.

But yes, audiophiles sometimes must take risks! ;)

My special congratulations to @Mike Lavigne and @Audiocrack. At the same time to all WBF members which are leaving their prejudices aside.
I like very much @Elliot G. description of Wadax.
“I am not a reviewer and I am not trying to sell this to anyone. This is not an item you sell someone, this is an item someone buys.”
@Mike Lavigne and @Audiocrack have followed this path.
Maybe they’ll like it or not but their step up is a sign of an open mind, researching information and finally doing a home demo or directly purchasing it.
I’m very glad to see past bad jokes and commentaries are gone and this thread has become interesting and healthy to keep us growing up in our hobbie…
Wadax isn’t a mainstream brand and i think it never will be…
Doing a home demo is so easy as paying an agreed price to the dealer to get a personal experience in your system if you aren’t dealer’s costumer.
This is what i did…

IMHO there is a lot of risk. I respect reviewers but my preferences are very different from those who wrote the usual hyperbolic texts that we can expect on top high-end. I will probably listen to the Wadax Reference next month, but surely would never buy it without proper listening in my room.

But yes, audiophiles sometimes must take risks! ;)
I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. The three reviews were (only) part of my considerations.

i too read that......with......an extra large grain of salt.

and no; no direct communications from Javier (Xavier) yet on this matter. but next week i think i will be speaking to him directly and can ask him about where that question is now.

we have to do the work to actually discover whether that is the case. was that written before or after the Wadax Ref Server was complete? was the new Ref Transport complete? or was that bias taken into the writing of the manual? i know what hirez files can sound like. so something has to give here. and the Wadax server interface cannot support dxd files. so how will USB do compared to lower rez choices?

we know that opinions are free.

OTOH Wadax has earned the benefit of the doubt. so i keep my mind open.
Javier informed me that the reference combo with Akasa cable can play dxd (in native form)

Javier informed me that the reference combo with Akasa cable can play dxd (in native form)
so the website and owners manual info for that interface is wrong?

re-reading the website and manual.....it's likely that the Akasa interface spec is not listed. the spec is for the previous Wadax link. makes sense.

:):):) that is great news as i've been assuming i would need to acquire a longer USB cable to accommodate dxd and have to switch back and forth between interfaces. like you, dxd files are important to me and i plan on acquiring more of them. and CD and SACD's are not likely going to measure up to dxd with the Wadax.

you cannot have both the Akasa and USB connected at the same time. it was going to be the fly in the ointment. the only 'fly' is the $17,495 list price for the Akasa cable and interface modules. glad i've not yet gone hog wild on a spendy USB cable.

Last edited:
so the website and owners manual info for that interface is wrong?

:):):) that is great news as i've been assuming i would need to acquire a longer USB cable to accommodate dxd and have to switch back and forth between interfaces. like you, dxd files are important to me and i plan on acquiring more of them. and CD and SACD's are not likely going to measure up to dxd with the Wadax.

you cannot have both the Akasa and USB connected at the same time. it was going to be the fly in the ointment.
I asked Javier this question last week and he answered that the Akasa cable can support up to dsd 8192 and 16 times the bandwidth of dxd. So the dac (configuration) is the limiting factor in this regard.

I forgot to mention that according to Javier the reference dac will (likely) be updated in 2023 in such a way that it will be able to play dsd 512 natively.

glad i've not yet gone hog wild on a spendy USB cable.
I know very well your Göbel USB.
Imho, it isn’t the right cable for Wadax.
I had one and i sold it. Too much energy in midrange and slow bass…
Sadly, Atlantis won’t be available with Akasa.
I have a friend with Ref. with Akasa and difference is night and day vs USB.
He has Wilson Alexandria and Soulution 701/725.

Last edited:
but surely would never buy it without proper listening in my room.

So your current amplifiers, TT, phono, and dCS were bought after proper listening in your room? Not blind or after a show type audition?

I know very well your Göbel USB.
Imho, it isn’t the right cable for Wadax.
I had one and i sold it. Too much energy in midrange and slow bass…
Sadly, Atlantis won’t be available with Akasa.
I have a friend with Ref. with Akasa and difference is night and day vs USB.
He has Wilson Alexandria and Soulution 701/725.
the Gobel USB was not the best match for my system, so a few months ago i sold mine and switched to the new model Sinope from FTA which seems a better match for my system overall. more neutral and more agile bass and greater bass weight. we will see how this goes and whether i will be using any USB going forward.

Mike, I noticed from Ack's demo of the Wadax Ref gear that he mentioned an "all black" version. However the photos from the dealer showed what we've all seen, the metal trim on fascia and metal PSUs. I'm a tad confused what he's referring to.

Mike, I noticed from Ack's demo of the Wadax Ref gear that he mentioned an "all black" version. However the photos from the dealer showed what we've all seen, the metal trim on fascia and metal PSUs. I'm a tad confused what he's referring to.
Are you trying to match your coming order of a Wadax esthetically to your Zu's, Marc ? :rolleyes:

this picture is on the Goodwin Audio site. my opinion is that it's not my cup of tea....the 'Stealth' or 'Batman' edition. but OTOH the chrome highlights of the other pictures of the Wadax seem to be a visual sticking point for some (too gaudy?). you have three visual elements; the chrome or black highlights, the silver or black tops, and the black bodies which seem to be a fixed element. so there are choices.

personally i prefer the visuals of the typical pictures that have been posted, and liked it in person.

1640869879781.png

this picture is on the Goodwin Audio site. my opinion is that it's not my cup of tea....the 'Stealth' or 'Batman' edition. but OTOH the chrome highlights of the other pictures of the Wadax seem to be a visual sticking point for some (too gaudy?). you have three visual elements; the chrome or black highlights, the silver or black tops, and the black bodies which seem to be a fixed element. so there are choices.

personally i prefer the visuals of the typical pictures that have been posted, and liked it in person.

View attachment 87247
Mike, maybe if the buttons and screws were all matt-black too, this "muted" finish could work. But all-black chassis with silver buttons? It looks kinda wrong, bland almost.
No, the Ref is "loud and proud", it's a total statement design and seems trite to neuter it this way.

Reactions: nirodha
Mike, maybe if the buttons and screws were all matt-black too, this "muted" finish could work. But all-black chassis with silver buttons? It looks kinda wrong, bland almost.
No, the Ref is "loud and proud", it's a total statement design and seems trite to neuter it this way.
i had that thought too. but i bought my MSB Select used and have never completely warmed up to the 100% all matte black (including buttons) look. i don't dislike it, but don't love it. it's a completely different look and feel, of course.

Are you trying to match your coming order of a Wadax esthetically to your Zu's, Marc ? :rolleyes:
I could do with Mike's buying power before I peruse finishes options from the catalog.

I respectfully disagree with your first sentence. The three reviews were (only) part of my considerations.

View attachment 87247
Removal of the chrome. — much better! I would make the buttons a dark mat gray as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing