New Wadax Atlantis Reference Dac

Absent the chrome accents is better, for my own sense of aesthetic. Would look nice with Magico M9s!

so the website and owners manual info for that interface is wrong?

re-reading the website and manual.....it's likely that the Akasa interface spec is not listed. the spec is for the previous Wadax link. makes sense.

:):):) that is great news as i've been assuming i would need to acquire a longer USB cable to accommodate dxd and have to switch back and forth between interfaces. like you, dxd files are important to me and i plan on acquiring more of them. and CD and SACD's are not likely going to measure up to dxd with the Wadax.

you cannot have both the Akasa and USB connected at the same time. it was going to be the fly in the ointment. the only 'fly' is the $17,495 list price for the Akasa cable and interface modules. glad i've not yet gone hog wild on a spendy USB cable.
Iam not going to congratulate Mike lavigne just yet as he may yet not purchase the Wadax combo, anyway just wondering what time frame they give you for your evaluation and would you also evaluate the upcoming lampi Horizon since its not too far away? It may well be worthwile to hold off don't you think ? Forgot to say
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

I gave the Wadax/Gobel system a long listen at Capital Audiofest with several visits to the room. I wish I could say I loved what I heard but to be totally honest the sound left me cold. The system lacked the lifelike sonic qualities that immerse me in the music. It was lacking the magic that evoke an emotional response, no chills down the spine, no smiles or tears of joy. It just left me flat.

Contrast that with my trips to the MSB room at Axpona in successive years where I was as emotionally captivated as I have ever been by the music emanating from the Select DAC and adjoining system. I ended up spending nearly half of my time at Axpona in the MSB room savoring every minute of the music.

Ken

I gave the Wadax/Gobel system a long listen at Capital Audiofest with several visits to the room. I wish I could say I loved what I heard but to be totally honest the sound left me cold.

Ken
You are an alpinist. you must know it is chilly at the top of the high-end mountains:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and Alpinist
You are an alpinist. Of course the summit of the high-end mountains left you cold:p
Give him credit, I'm sure he was wearing his thermals.

Iam not going to congratulate Mike lavigne just yet as he may yet not purchase the Wadax combo, anyway just wondering what time frame they give you for your evaluation and would you also evaluate the upcoming lampi Horizon since its not too far away? It may well be worthwile to hold off don't you think ?
these type of no-win questions are to be expected. comes with the territory.

if the Wadax did not exist, there is no other dac that i would be thinking about, and would sail blissfully along with the MSB. i hope the Horizon is everything it's fans expect it to be. at some point i will hear it i'm sure. but it's not on my radar for my system. maybe some other Wadax owner will do a compare with it?

Reactions: nirodha and Magical
So your current amplifiers, TT, phono, and dCS were bought after proper listening in your room? Not blind or after a show type audition?
Some of them were bought used and fortunately I had long auditions in the previous owners listening room, as we are good friends. Those I got new were only bought after a proper audition in my system. Buying from our usual dealers has some advantages.

The Lamm's and cables were an exception to my usual buying methods.

Mike, is your MSB gonna be in the room, or is a face off with the Wadax Ref Dac not on the cards?
For me what will be most interesting is if you compare the Extreme with Wadax Ref Server on the Ref Dac. Obviously one comparison will run USB, one this Akasa optical connection, so not totally apples and apples.
But in my case, having heard the Extreme a few times, and feeling it's nigh on impossible to imagine something better, a comparison with the Ref Server would be truly facinating.

Reactions: Bobvin
Mike, is your MSB gonna be in the room, or is a face off with the Wadax Ref Dac not on the cards?
For me what will be most interesting is if you compare the Extreme with Wadax Ref Server on the Ref Dac. Obviously one comparison will run USB, one this Akasa optical connection, so not totally apples and apples.
But in my case, having heard the Extreme a few times, and feeling it's nigh on impossible to imagine something better, a comparison with the Ref Server would be truly facinating.
images-20.jpeg

Reactions: Bobvin
I draw the line at popcorn in my listening room.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
head to head, if possible both servers with both dacs. various interface options according to what is workable. for as long as it takes. no time limit.

i even bought an 8TB SSD for the Wadax Ref Server so i can load files to compare directly. it will come with a few test files, but an empty SSD chamber.

i've gone to a lot of trouble to have this opportunity. and will move around my system to allow for all this gear to work. you can imagine i have thought a great deal about it and the process.

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio
Reactions: Rhapsody
Now, if Mike wants to smoke a little something...

Reactions: bonzo75
I suspect it'll be a whole box of cigars at the end of this adventure.

Bob, you do realise the Spaghetti Westerns were all filmed in...Spain.
None in...The Netherlands.
Just sayin'! Lol
And i thought it was Italy, hence the name, and Italian directors ! :oops: I stand corrected, they where shot in Spain, Marc !:)

Milan, don't you know I'm ALWAYS right. Except when I'm wrong.

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing