Next Dac...go Lampi ?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
You do realize that Amanero now has a Super Amanero model, right?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You do realize that Amanero now has a Super Amanero model, right?

Okay - will give you the thread context so you can understand.

OP wants a new dac but tight budget. I recommend a used Big 7 but to mod with Dueland silver bypass on output caps and replace the Amanero standard board with one of these very cheap upgraded boards (less than £120).

I am indeed aware of the new Amanero boards but they weren’t supplied with the original Big 7 so moot in context of my response unless OP miraculously finds new budget and sends to Lampi for £1500 extra.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Amanero has better software that Xmos.
Amanero has better software that Xmos.

Is that the general consensus? There is an interesting post related to this on the Extreme thread and it seems Xmos appears more adjustable:

“Almost all XMOS drivers are configurable, the desired setting is either minimum latency, or its equivalent of a 1 millisecond buffer. It’s good to be aware that almost all of the higher tier DACs are using a XMOS USB interface. Another widely used USB interface is Amanero, but that is more often used in lower pricerange DACs and the DIY scene.”

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
By higher tier you mean higher price? I don't know a higher tier dac SQ wise than the Lampi, possibly because it is so DIYed

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
By higher tier you mean higher price? I don't know a higher tier dac SQ wise than the Lampi, possibly because it is so DIYed

It is a quote of another person, Kedar. The post above is about adjustability of software not price. Oh dear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Okay - will give you the thread context so you can understand.

OP wants a new dac but tight budget. I recommend a used Big 7 but to mod with Dueland silver bypass on output caps and replace the Amanero standard board with one of these very cheap upgraded boards (less than £120).

I am indeed aware of the new Amanero boards but they weren’t supplied with the original Big 7 so moot in context of my response unless OP miraculously finds new budget and sends to Lampi for £1500 extra.
No..AMANERO makes and sells the superamanero board. No need for diy upgrade.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Is that the general consensus? There is an interesting post related to this on the Extreme thread and it seems Xmos appears more adjustable:

“Almost all XMOS drivers are configurable, the desired setting is either minimum latency, or its equivalent of a 1 millisecond buffer. It’s good to be aware that almost all of the higher tier DACs are using a XMOS USB interface. Another widely used USB interface is Amanero, but that is more often used in lower pricerange DACs and the DIY scene.”
Again. Amanero is hard to deal with but has unbeatable software... hence why some people put up with it. Their upgrade promise dates are often missed but they have the best sounding software. Many manufacturers dont want to deal with him due to the issues.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
No..AMANERO makes and sells the superamanero board. No need for diy upgrade.

Sorry you are failing to understand the point again.

I know Amanero make and sell that board but it nothing at all to do with my point.

I am saying *once again* that many other people *also* make a diy board, which is very cheap to diy. It is less than £120. Do a search for yourself and you’ll discover all the choice for yourself.

If you want an upgraded Amanero with clocks at factory it is >£1000.

These are just plain facts.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Not at factory! BUY the SuperAmaneno from Amanero themselves and install. I said nothing about factory. And yeah, I know about the Aussie mod as I had bought the components a few years back but didn't follow thru.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Not at factory! BUY the SuperAmaneno from Amanero themselves and install. I said nothing about factory. And yeah, I know about the Aussie mod as I had bought the components a few years back but didn't follow thru.

BTW, have you ever tried to solder an Amanero to the Lampi, I did once and it was a nightmare. The points are tiny/almost microscopic and easy to screw up. It was a MIRACLE that I got it to work. Took a very long time of trial and error. It would be a snap for people who solder cell phone parts regularly, I suppose, but even at the factory, I was told that there is a high failure rate when installing.

From the Ebay link you posted:

"NOTE: It is original genuine from LKS, it is designed by LKS, he enlarge the PCB size and optimize circuit to enough space to install the 2 pcs best Crystek CCHD-957, for much better usb process performance.(and also design an independently power supply for it, so no use USB 5V from computer any more, you can also buy the psu board from us).

its firmwareof this usb card is authorised by the Italy Amanero company, it use official driver, and also can use official site oem tool to update firmware by user.(other clone or refer card can not ) (but we won't recommend user to do it by yourself if you are not experienced /skilled DIYer who know how to update, if not, the USB card maybe failed update and can not be recognized any more.)"

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
BTW, have you ever tried to solder an Amanero to the Lampi, I did once and it was a nightmare. The points are tiny/almost microscopic and easy to screw up. It was a MIRACLE that I got it to work. Took a very long time of trial and error. It would be a snap for people who solder cell phone parts regularly, I suppose, but even at the factory, I was told that there is a high failure rate.

I haven’t tried actually. It does look a pain in the ass.

There is a company that sells a board with a pin interface so fortunately you can get around not needing to solder directly.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Work in progress with the "Silver Gate" :p

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: christoph

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
If all goes well, it should be a new operating Lampi’s base soon in the French Riviera...:)
You’re of course welcome

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...Silver gate on the way to home :cool:

More to follow, and a great thanks to Norman and Goran !!

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
...Silver gate on the way to home :cool:

More to follow, and a great thanks to Norman and Goran !!
I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!
Have fun!

Reactions: christoph

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...just back to home after a nice trip through the French Alps.

Lampi powered, and still cold, but already very impressive :

Attachments

• C8591D9A-FB9B-434E-94E2-6DB9D865A665.jpeg
    C8591D9A-FB9B-434E-94E2-6DB9D865A665.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 5E5EA222-9E77-4B56-AC71-58E54D7E7A3E.jpeg
    5E5EA222-9E77-4B56-AC71-58E54D7E7A3E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 60D78B1E-1C7C-4827-BC54-3234F4F6DEB8.jpeg
    60D78B1E-1C7C-4827-BC54-3234F4F6DEB8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...now I think I’ll have to read all the tube rolling threads on this forum :p

Did you say EML or KR ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
...now I think I’ll have to read all the tube rolling threads on this forum :p

Did you say EML or KR ?
Mainly KR...you aim at certain point in time for KR PX25RK and 242RK with the either RK 5u4g or USAF 596 recti and you can close the shop tubes related ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing