Next Dac...go Lampi ?

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Detailed listening impressions will come later, but I can already tell this Dac is a long time keeper, and exactly what I was waiting for in terms of holographic soundstage...

My search is closed, now it’s time for music.

Reactions: christoph and Golum

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Mainly KR...you aim at certain point in time for KR PX25RK and 242RK with the either RK 5u4g or USAF 596 recti and you can close the shop tubes related ;)

Do you like the KR PX25RK and 242RK more than the Tak 300Bs (if you have tried them)?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Do you like the KR PX25RK and 242RK more than the Tak 300Bs (if you have tried them)?
I never heard Tak honestly, but @christoph has them at home as we speak and both Tak 300b and their recti, as far as he told me, are his new favorite tubes. To my taste just too much $$$$$ needed to have them..

Reactions: christoph

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Regular PX25, RK recti and RK242 is all Yucca needs to be in the top echelon without breaking the bank. A nice pair of vintage National Union 45s is a nice cheap set to have on the side for ultimate midrange-centric jazz listening.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
I'll certainly try at least the regular PX25 in the next weeks/months...same output level as the 300b ?

Don't know if it's the place here to ask, but do you let your Lampi "on" all day long, or do you turn it off for the night ie ?

Didn't ask also, as the sound is already marvelous without doing anything special, but I tried to upsample through roon (PCM max) yesterday, and I get a distorded, unnatural sound...Don't know if it's roon related, or if I have to do something with the amanero card...my server is linux based, so no driver anyway.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'll certainly try at least the regular PX25 in the next weeks/months...same output level as the 300b ?

Don't know if it's the place here to ask, but do you let your Lampi "on" all day long, or do you turn it off for the night ie ?

Didn't ask also, as the sound is already marvelous without doing anything special, but I tried to upsample through roon (PCM max) yesterday, and I get a distorded, unnatural sound...Don't know if it's roon related, or if I have to do something with the amanero card...my server is linux based, so no driver anyway.
Ask Domansky...he surely can answer your tech question. its likely related to pcm rate family...ie 44 vs 48.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I would say it depends mostly on the DAC and then on system synergy (and taste) :D
In my GG1.9, I preferred the KR 242 over the KR PX25.
In the Pacific, it is the other way around and I prefer the KR PX25 over the KR 242 (both with RK 5u4g oder Takatsuki 274b rectifiers) :cool:
For me, the Taka 300b only shine with the Taka 274b rectifier, otherwise I find the Taka 300b nothing Special :oops:

Reactions: Golum

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I would say it depends mostly on the DAC and then on system synergy (and taste) :D
In my GG1.9, I preferred the KR 242 over the KR PX25.
In the Pacific, it is the other way around and I prefer the KR PX25 over the KR 242 (both with RK 5u4g oder Takatsuki 274b rectifiers) :cool:
For me, the Taka 300b only shine with the Taka 274b rectifier, otherwise I find the Taka 300b nothing Special :oops:

Right now I am using a pair of Tak 300Bs and the Tak 274b rectifier. I need to do some tube rolling to see if there is another combination that I prefer.

Reactions: abeidrov

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Right now I am using a pair of Tak 300Bs and the Tak 274b rectifier. I need to do some tube rolling to see if there is another combination that I prefer.
Do you still own the Big7 I spotted in your sig?

If the Big7 is similar to my GG1, you might like the regular KR 242 over the KR PX25 but this is only valid if the KR 242 works gain-wise in your System :D
Back in my GG days I have not listened to the Taka tubes at all :oops:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Do you still own the Big7 I spotted in your sig?

If the Big7 is similar to my GG1, you might like the regular KR 242 over the KR PX25 but this is only valid if the KR 242 works gain-wise in your System :D
But then again, back in my GG days I have not lisztened to the Taka tubes at all :oops:

Yes, I still own a Big 7. I had read that gain could be an issue with the KR242.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yes, I still own a Big 7. I had read that gain could be an issue with the KR242.
Only way to find out is to try :oops:
Where do you live? are there any Lampi owners close to you?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Only way to find out is to try :oops:
Where do you live? are there any Lampi owners close to you?

I am in the US on the east coast. For me, the only way to assess the sound is in my system. I am not sure there are any Lampi owners nearby. I can ask Fred.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I am in the US on the east coast. For me, the only way to assess the sound is in my system. I am not sure there are any Lampi owners nearby. I can ask Fred.
Probably a good idea

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
If you want an upgraded Amanero with clocks at factory it is >£1000.

These are just plain facts.

Very good point the factory wants far too much money for some mods. That is if they insist on charging the quoted prices and you can't haggle for less or even getting some work done for free if you are a good customer, I suspect.

Basically you should be able to find someone locally to do various upgrades for far less money. Including switching DAC boards. That is if you feel comfortable working outside of your warranty.

It's your risk, though. Think VERY carefully before you choose this route.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
My 2 « audiophile buddies » will come at home next Sunday...they still don’t know I have the Lampi. It will be a (great) surprise for them, and I think they will appreciate it as much as me...

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...two Lampi admirers more :)
My two friends agree, the « silver gate » is at least two (high) steps higher than my directstream jr...it’s another dimension in fact. They told me I’m going to miss for a long time, because I won’t have anything to change in my system now...just hear music :p (...mmmm...tubes, hifi rack...usb reclocker ?)
Soundstage is significatively deeper and wider, seems to fill the entire room.
Voices, strings are are totally natural, with real thickness and attack.
Dynamics is also way better, with more weight on percussions and/or electro music.
All is smoother, but resolution/precision is not lost (it’s even better).
I expected a lot, but not so much. I think I never heard a device who did such a difference in my system before (maybe my current active speakers, but not sure)

Again a great thanks to Norman, Goran and everyone there who helped me to discover this marvelous device. And of course also thanks to Lukasz for his work !!

Last edited:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Which version of the DAC you have. Trying to extrapolate if I need to look into these output tubes.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Which version of the DAC you have. Trying to extrapolate if I need to look into these output tubes.

I have a single-ended Big 7 with R2R PCM and DSD256.

Reactions: adamaley

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
...two Lampi admirers more :)
My two friends agree, the « silver gate » is at least two (high) steps higher than my directstream jr...it’s another dimension in fact. They told me I’m going to miss for a long time, because I won’t have anything to change in my system now...just hear music :p (...mmmm...tubes, hifi rack...usb reclocker ?)
Soundstage is significatively deeper and wider, seems to fill the entire room.
Voices, strings are are totally natural, with real thickness and attack.
Dynamics is also way better, with more weight on percussions and/or electro music.
All is smoother, but resolution/precision is not lost (it’s even better).
I expected a lot, but not so much. I think I never heard a device who did such a difference in my system before (maybe my current active speakers, but not sure)

Again a great thanks to Norman, Goran and everyone there who helped me to discover this marvelous device. And of course also thanks to Lukasz for his work !!
Jeff I’m super glad that you are having a great time with it! Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing