Nola Concert Grands

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
Hi Tom,
Thanks.
I would like to add some sorely needed factual information when I can.
I feel, despite the tremendous amount of press available, there is actually less real useful information available.

I would like to illuminate: regarding magazines.
I do not know if this is well known to all members but magazine policy is generally that for a model to be recommended, it must be reviewed by the same magazine. One difference with a high end company is that they tend to upgrade a model as soon as it is possible. So what happens when an improved version of the same model that has been recommended becomes available? The mag can either transfer the recommendation or not-strictly on how they feel.
This does not serve their readers as the impression is that the new more expensive version does not measure up even though the manufacturer is producing a superior product to the version they tested.
And because of very limited editorial space, in print mags, they say nothing about testing the new superior model either.
So in the case of the Baby Grand, TAS reviewed series I and recommended it for years. Along comes series II at a higher price and they transfer the recommendation. Recently, there is a Gold version with much higher performance and a still higher price. So now, no recommendation. So does this cause confusion?

On another issue, HP has the two best sounding rooms that we have experienced , due to the vintage materials used and that is why we gave him quite a few Nolas to review.
Cheers

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Hi Tom,
Thanks.
I would like to add some sorely needed factual information when I can.
I feel, despite the tremendous amount of press available, there is actually less real useful information available.

I would like to illuminate: regarding magazines.
I do not know if this is well known to all members but magazine policy is generally that for a model to be recommended, it must be reviewed by the same magazine. One difference with a high end company is that they tend to upgrade a model as soon as it is possible. So what happens when an improved version of the same model that has been recommended becomes available? The mag can either transfer the recommendation or not-strictly on how they feel.
This does not serve their readers as the impression is that the new more expensive version does not measure up even though the manufacturer is producing a superior product to the version they tested.
And because of very limited editorial space, in print mags, they say nothing about testing the new superior model either.
So in the case of the Baby Grand, TAS reviewed series I and recommended it for years. Along comes series II at a higher price and they transfer the recommendation. Recently, there is a Gold version with much higher performance and a still higher price. So now, no recommendation. So does this cause confusion?

On another issue, HP has the two best sounding rooms that we have experienced , due to the vintage materials used and that is why we gave him quite a few Nolas to review.
Cheers

There have been negative comments here about Harry's listening rooms and his environment, I can only say that Harry had and has had continually produced amazing sound for many years in his home. Those who have actually been lucky enough to visit and hear it will totally agree.
I find it difficult to deal with those who want to bash something they have not experienced or bash it out of total ignorance.
I have heard great sound there from the days of John Dahlquist, Arnie Nudel to today with the Scaena's and Nola speakers.
There are common threads here one the rooms work and two the man and his staff do know how to set the gear up to make it work!!

Nothing but the facts guys

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I fond it difficult to deal with those who want to bash something they have not experienced or bash it out of total ignorance...
That poster is difficult to deal with period :(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) On another issue, HP has the two best sounding rooms that we have experienced , due to the vintage materials used and that is why we gave him quite a few Nolas to review.
Cheers

Having lived in a old house from the early 1900's with high ceilings where equipment easily sounded great I really understand you. I still miss that room ...

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There have been negative comments here about Harry's listening rooms and his environment, I can only say that Harry had and has had continually produced amazing sound for many years in his home. Those who have actually been lucky enough to visit and hear it will totally agree.
I fond it difficult to deal with those who want to bash something they have not experienced or bash it out of total ignorance.
I have heard great sound there from the days of John Dahlquist, Arnie Nudel to today with the Scaena's and Nola speakers.
There are common threads here one the rooms work and two the man and his staff do know how to set the gear up to make it work!!

Nothing but the facts guys

Elliot, the only facts you're relying on are your personal insults against me, nothing else; and I don't like it. All you have is an OPINION, and based on your numerous visits a biased one at that! You're suffering from the same delusions of grandeur like your buddy; the two Absolutes! The only ignorance here is on your part thinking that you know it all and no one else is allowed values different from yours. Stop making everything personal.

david

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Elliot, the only facts you're relying on are your personal insults against me, nothing else; and I don't like it. All you have is an OPINION, and based on your numerous visits a biased one at that! You're suffering from the same delusions of grandeur like your buddy; the two Absolutes! The only ignorance here is on your part thinking that you know it all and no one else is allowed values different from yours. Stop making everything personal.

david

Not sure what the issue is, BUT in a historical context, I think HP has done more legitimate reviewing than most. He also set the bar for others to follow which few did, were capable of doing or were influenced by outside factors that HP never surrendered to. While I am biased because I own these speakers, from my perch, by you denigrating HP's room, electricity, etc, you mitigate the opinion of HP (as well as a host of others) who was and to a certain extent is one of the most venerable reviewers and thereby mitigate his opinions and hence his opinion of these speakers which is what this thread is about. Spin it anyway you want, but your implications are that HP couldn't possibly make a legitimate judgement about the Concert Grands.

Time to discuss the product rather than HP. It is obvious you have something personal against HP just as Elliot has something personal in favor of HP. As an enthusiast, I have found HP to be right much more often than wrong and used to, especially in his prime, look forward to his comments not just about gear but about the music. There is a reason why HP is held in such high regard by some of the best manufacturers even to this day. Personally I miss what he once provided.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Not sure what the issue is, BUT in a historical context, I think HP has done more legitimate reviewing than most. He also set the bar for others to follow which few did, were capable of doing or were influenced by outside factors that HP never surrendered to. While I am biased because I own these speakers, from my perch, by you denigrating HP's room, electricity, etc, you mitigate the opinion of HP (as well as a host of others) who was and to a certain extent is one of the most venerable reviewers and thereby mitigate his opinions and hence his opinion of these speakers which is what this thread is about. Spin it anyway you want, but your implications are that HP couldn't possibly make a legitimate judgement about the Concert Grands.

Time to discuss the product rather than HP. It is obvious you have something personal against HP just as Elliot has something personal in favor of HP. As an enthusiast, I have found HP to be right much more often than wrong and used to, especially in his prime, look forward to his comments not just about gear but about the music. There is a reason why HP is held in such high regard by some of the best manufacturers even to this day. Personally I miss what he once provided.
I have only quality experiences in that room as do many others and that was my only point.
David wants to attack the situation for whatever reason but is not willing to state any facts therefore I can and will summarily dismiss his opinion as internet BS

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

By the way Priaptor I am not now friendly with Mr. Pearson. I dont think that he nor any of the reviewers have much influence in the market any longer. Stating that is in no way an indictment of his ability to write about his finding or produce quality sound. There are many other products that he has not listened too and never commented on that may be excellent. Harry has been and will be remember as an extremely influential and a great teacher for many of us in the audio business. I do resent the attitude of Mr. David who obviously had a problem there with something of his and wont admit it...
Take your ball and go home please

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As an enthusiast, I have found HP to be right much more often than wrong and used to, especially in his prime, look forward to his comments not just about gear but about the music. There is a reason why HP is held in such high regard by some of the best manufacturers even to this day. Personally I miss what he once provided.

I fully agree with you. Many of his reviews were real essays in the analysis of sound reproduction. The reviews were soon outdated by the arrival of new components, but they included long writings on continuity, micro and macro dynamics, layering, reproduction of timbre and many other stereo properties, that are not simple to describe in words. His articles were a great contribution to the high-end. Although we still have great reviewers, no one currently goes so much in depth in the analysis as HP did. He did not only describe how thinks sounded - he tried to correlate the sound qualities with the subjective perception of music, always thinking about real music.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Pertaining to Nola, HP has been right on the money: speakers sound like music itself and transport the listener immediately. It is the epitome of the Absolute Sound. Ironically, this is the exact opposite of what Valin has worshipped for a long a time and Harley now worships at The Analytic Sound.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I fully agree with you. Many of his reviews were real essays in the analysis of sound reproduction. The reviews were soon outdated by the arrival of new components, but they included long writings on continuity, micro and macro dynamics, layering, reproduction of timbre and many other stereo properties, that are not simple to describe in words. His articles were a great contribution to the high-end. Although we still have great reviewers, no one currently goes so much in depth in the analysis as HP did. He did not only describe how thinks sounded - he tried to correlate the sound qualities with the subjective perception of music, always thinking about real music.

EXACTLY. Boy do I miss those days. His essays were really engaging bringing you into HIS experience and painted that experience like no other reviewer could do. With HP it was always about the music.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

david
Hey David,
There are no insults toward you personally!!!! You have some confidence issues?
Inever mentioned you or your name so chill!

This thread is about one amazing sounding product and you seem to want to sidetrack it for your personal reasons.
The Nola is a great great great sounding speaker and all of these products are really excellent and easy to get great sound from.
I am so sorry that you have a boo boo

caesar

May 30, 2010
Having lived in a old house from the early 1900's with high ceilings where equipment easily sounded great I really understand you. I still miss that room ...

Microstrip, can you please take an educated guess of why that is?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Carl,

Welcome to this forum! I am a big fan of your work!!! I have said this before, but a music lover can walk into your suite at a show, have a seat on the couch, and crash in your pad for 3 days.

Speaking as a non-techie, looking at your speakers, they appear more complex than others. There are large circular drivers, smaller circular drivers, rectangular drivers, etc. Some are positioned symmetrically, while others are positioned on the sides, while others are on top of each other. Speakers are open on top, but not on the bottom...Can you please explain to a non-audio engineer what your design philosophy is, why the speakers appear they the way are (yet disappear!!), and how, despite the assorted drivers you can get them to sound like real music?!?

And how do you get Audio Research, which many consider one of the more "driest" tube manufacturers (vs. a Conrad Johnson or a VAC), to sound like real music? How does that synergy come about?

Also, how do you recommend dealing with the back wave: absorption, diffusion, neither?

Thanks!

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
Hi Caesar,

Great to hear from you.

You raised an extensive amount of deep questions--almost never asked by the media! So congrats to you.
I am a bit under alligators at the moment--so I will answer all soon as I can.

Thanks for loving music.

PS--I love to listen to music and I hate work-but I must now.
Thanks again

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip, can you please take an educated guess of why that is?

The house has a 3 feet basement and the floor was old wood battens over studs. Walls were stone, but had very large wood double doors almost 8 feet high, and large windows. The ceiling was plaster/wood nailed to studs. The bass sounded very controlled - probably all these structures worked as distributed bass traps, as there were two other rooms communicating with the listening room through large doors, normally shut. Ceilings were 12 feet high, and the floor had old heavy carpets. Old style.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The house has a 3 feet basement and the floor was old wood battens over studs. Walls were stone, but had very large wood double doors almost 8 feet high, and large windows. The ceiling was plaster/wood nailed to studs. The bass sounded very controlled - probably all these structures worked as distributed bass traps, as there were two other rooms communicating with the listening room through large doors, normally shut. Ceilings were 12 feet high, and the floor had old heavy carpets. Old style.

Micro

Funny sometimes you just never know. In my last house I had built a separate little house specifically for my audio. I had the help of Jeff Rowland, carefully measured sound treated etc. It did sound very good.

When I moved I, no dedicated room just a big 24x30 room with 10 foot ceilings on my second floor with minimal sound treatment and I never expected much. It is one of the best rooms I have heard. I am tweaking it just a little but sometimes luck is great.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
When I moved I, no dedicated room just a big 24x30 room with 10 foot ceilings on my second floor with minimal sound treatment and I never expected much. It is one of the best rooms I have heard. I am tweaking it just a little but sometimes luck is great.

Hello, Priaptor. Man, you have gotta LOVE it when that happens. Congrat's on the new room! I'm happy for you.

Tom

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hello, Priaptor. Man, you have gotta LOVE it when that happens. Congrat's on the new room! I'm happy for you.

Tom

Thanks. It just works. While I describe it as just a "big room" it has some unique properties by virtue of how the house was built that eliminates side wall reflections-by chance. I have, with the aid of several traps been able to get the benefits of a large room while using the traps to create a level of quiet and intimacy that is pretty unique given how little I have spent on treatment. Just lucky

Carl

Industry Expert
Feb 25, 2014
The design begins in my head. I have the ability to "hear" various designs in my head. I know what I want musically from a design. I then pick the driver configuration that I believe will give me the sound I want. I then develop the special drivers required for the application. The cabinet is then designed and 1 pair of prototypes is built. Computer modeling of some of the design details takes place now.
The prototype is then assembled and we measure the system with a 40kHz calibrated mic to be sure the speaker is functioning correctly--and not to test quality. The quality is designed in from the outset. Now the real work begins. 50 hrs a week for 3 months is the listening time I typically put into a design until the sound matches what I "heard" in my head.
I do a great deal of listening using real music. When I am happy that the sound matches what I "heard" in my head, the prototype is documented with the most minute details so that the customer receives what I have designed. This first pair then is the first production pair and we keep it as reference. Production builds more exactly like the prototype.

Our speakers have very low dynamic distortion and so fatigue free listing with Audio Research gear is normal. When you have a speaker with dynamic distortion problems, then Audio Research will sound harsh.

We use a small thin scrim or drape-usually about 2 feet square behind the speaker. We like as much diffusion as possible--we use plants and RPG panels in horrible hotel rooms for this purpose.

If you have any other questions, please ask. Thanks
Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing