Observations and Suggestions

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dear David,

It seems that I think there are fewer facts, realities, rights and wrongs than you think there are. :)

I started this thread “to make this a better community for all of us collectively: better by improving understanding and communication between and among members; better by reducing avoidable frustrations and unnecessary conflicts.”

Ron, you remember when I started that thread "Miscommunication" on June 2nd, just last week.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/miscommunication.28202/

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Maybe the forum should remove all the "industry expert" type labels?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, that might be your opinion, but you are not objectively correct (point 1)

I did not purport to be or claim to be objectively correct. I began with “I think.”

The topic is one’s subjective impression of how much of the world of high-end audio is facts, realities, rights and wrongs.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I did not purport to be or claim to be objectively correct. I began with “I think.”

The topic is one’s subjective impression of how much of the world of high-end audio is facts, realities, rights and wrongs.

Okay.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Maybe the forum should remove all the "industry expert" type labels?

It doesn't matter, I think. Everyone knows, or hopefully knows, that beyond being objectively experts on some issues and worth being listened to on that level, every one those people is highly opinionated, beyond the measure of being objectively right or wrong. That is human nature, and arises also from being passionate.

And without being passionate you cannot be be a good designer, for example. But as a consquence, should I pay attention to everything a designer of tube gear says about solid state? No. Should I pay attention to everything a designer of solid state gear says about tubes? No. And so on (fill in speaker types, turntable and DAC topologies, etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I think the forum has less and less quality discussion. I am not sure if owner or admin has the stats. I felt like the spirit of "whatsbest" has been slumped down to "letsjustrelaxandenjoythemusic"

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think the forum has less and less quality discussion. I am not sure if owner or admin has the stats. I felt like the spirit of "whatsbest" has been slumped down to "letsjustrelaxandenjoythemusic"

Maybe that is a temporary reaction to, or an effort at seeking relief from, an excess of ostentation, sarcasm and smart-alecky-ness

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

And how does one automatically categorize stats on posts that you think are worthy? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should elaborate on what exactly the spirit would mean.

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
And how does one automatically categorize stats on posts that you think are worthy? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should elaborate on what exactly the spirit would mean.
Maybe categorize stats on post which has above certain word counts?
I see less discussion on gears forum to justtify "whatsbest"

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Hieukm, maybe I can take a stab at answering why this happened and why the forum thinks SETs is always the answer (as mentioned in the OP)

The Onion: Area Man Moves to SET Horns and listens to music

Actually, when I was initially searching, I was looking for SS amps for Apogees or SETs for horns. Then, I saw that the forum founder Steve, instead of looking at say, Dagostino for his big Wilsons, realized SETs was the answer.

Then I saw that despite me and others telling Ron he should use SS for his big Gryphons, for quite a while he thought SETs was the answer. In fact, he started many threads asking questions about NATs, Mastersound, Audio Music, etc - whatever the questions, he seemed to think SETs was the answer.

Then I debated a lot with Audiocrack regarding SS amps for his big Tidals, but he said SETs was the answer, and grounding SETs bought tears to his eyes.

I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer (c'mon Mike get on with the program)

Looking at all the experienced audiophiles with big budgets who have been around for years choosing SETs for their inefficient speakers, impressionable people like me thought SETs was always the answer. And that's how the SETs was one.

Now that this debate was settled, we headed over to Tang's thread, where he was running music videos on SETs + horns helped set up by a guy with SETs + horns with records bought from a guy with SETs + horns. The thread is closely followed by me, Bill, Tao, Kodomo, Brad, Christoph, all fans of SETs + horns. Folsom and Peter also follow, and they don't have SETs horns, but as the OP mentioned, not everyone is objective. Am sure Marc follows it, as I remember reading about Zus in that thread, and he also has SETs. You follow it, and you don't have SETs, but you have Cessaros.

That explains how it moved from what's best to just listening to Tang's music. Which, btw, has to do with neutrality and transparency letting through the natural sound of recorded live music followed mostly only by people with SETs + horns or SETs or horns. And Tima

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think you’re on to something Ked. Genius. And I do love the music on Tang’s thread.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer.
(...) [/QUOTE]

Ked,

Do you realize that your typical misrepresentation of other people activity, posting and intentions sometimes spoils the chance to have a quality discussion in WBF?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
(...) I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer.
(...)

Ked,

Do you realize that your typical misrepresentation of other people activity, posting and intentions sometimes spoils the chance to have a quality discussion in WBF?[/QUOTE]

That whole post was satire. But we did have the till Clancy vs James bond discussion regarding the fact that Lamms won't work for you

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Ked,

Do you realize that your typical misrepresentation of other people activity, posting and intentions sometimes spoils the chance to have a quality discussion in WBF?
That whole post was satire. But we did have the till Clancy vs James bond discussion regarding the fact that Lamms won't work for you

Maybe you should attach the "sarcasm" and "fun" smilies next to the new learned "imo" and "YMMnV" ;) to all your posts/ (as a signature?), so we all off the +90% (stone deaf) incl Micro can better recognize, yes we are not only stonedeaf but also..... ;):p:)

Reactions: Lagonda

djsina2

May 30, 2019
We have no intention of censoring anyone or anything. All we ask is that everyone read what they just typed before they hit the "post reply"button

I will have to disagree with this. A member asked if anyone had experience with vendor A's and vendor B's same product. I was the only one who actually owned both. I posted my 100% factual actual real life experience with both and was instantly banned (another username).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok guys, just in reference to The Onion I titled that post as Area Man Moves to SET Horns to listen to music. Apologies if you do not read the onion and get the reference

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe you should attach the "sarcasm" and "fun" smilies next to the new learned "imo" and "YMMnV" ;) to all your posts/ (as a signature?), so we all off the +90% (stone deaf) incl Micro can better recognize, yes we are not only stonedeaf but also..... ;):p:)

It is not the point of being sarcastic, it is simply that it manages to keep all discussions at the level of the Speakers' Corner, besides excessively focusing the debate around just a few of us.

For example, the post bellow had a strong point worth debating that was immediately turned in oratory.

Reactions: PeterA

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I agree.

My reply^ was not on your reply but on Kedar's.
And i for sure have (deeper) thought(s) much longer than 10 seconds about that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Completely agree. I think they must have had a couple of complaints from owners of a certain brand name cone speaker who have less experience and are not objective seeing beyond what they own.

That's a good insinuation. Vague, no naming names, and thus safe and cute. But no, Kedar, I made no calls or contacts to the administration complaining about the tenor of your posts. I have learned to tolerate them because of the wonderful recording recommendations you make. BTW, horns are not always the answer, and occasionally, Magico, or other sealed cone speakers are. It all depends. I can accept that and live in peace and harmony knowing that different speaker typologies can coexist on planet Earth, under the stars, in the clean air with the sounds and smells of nature all around, just like our good friend Bob on the northern island.

I will soon discover if a vintage tonearm and a contemporary one from the same company can coexist in the same system. "Seeing beyond what they own" is precisely what leads to visiting other people's systems and considering upgrades and changes. Seeing beyond is how our systems improve, plus continual re-examining of the status quo.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing