Oh boy, the Bose 901 again

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
..interesting

I just don't get TONE when it comes to equipment reviews... ugh

..the allure of buying these guys apparently is for the nostalgia value. If so, why not go all the way and buy a 1958 Edsel? The two share one thing in common...both were right up there with the worst ever made in their respective categories..

This was posted a couple of years ago...

Can the moderators please delete this thread then

I'm a utility guy as far as my philosophy is concerned. I use Duevel Omnis in two areas for background music just because I need diffuse unobtrusive sound so I will buck the trend here. BOSE is an option I am truly considering for a specific purpose. We throw a lot of parties and when the weather is good we like doing this in the outdoor living area. I am at the moment mulling HK Audio's active line array or stacked BOSE 802s with Crest or Crown amps. A clue that I like small drivers run full range. While I wouldn't put a 901 anywhere near a list I'd make for serious listening or it's ruggedized brother for that matter. I've not ruled BOSE out entirely. They are party speakers, there's no doubt about that. Nostalgia or no nostalgia. I may go eventually with the HKs but only because they would be so much easier to store and much easier to cable.

The 901 Series 1 and 2 were apparently quite good, but then the worst invention for audio akin to disposable nappies, the foam
bass driver surround happened. There must be many rooms full of unused 901's with rotting foam, and owners using them as
lower stands for decent speakers.

I recently called to a bose showroom, but their 901's might have needed refoaming as they were not on
What a totally stupid idea to refoam these speakers then 6 months later have to do it all again. the Series 1 and 2
on the other hand apparently used cloth surrounds, and by all accounts are still running.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing