Oh my, oh my - Aries Cerat Helene DAC

I can't stay silent - today we received Helene DAC, "baby" DAC from Aries Cerat. What a baby, what a beauty. From the very fist second the sound was sublime, digital rarely gets better than this - in form of Kassandra DAC only probably. I am not saying this lightly, just compare Helene to all the big guns, you would be surprised. Rich, transparent sound, real body of instruments, timbre to die for, as analog as possible, but most importantly, natural music flow, touching your heart and soul. Be warned, after listening you might need to sell some very expensive equipment. But there is solution - you buy Kassandra LE, thus may be less painful.

Comments

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Stavros
I am having harshness issues related to my source Esoteric K03Xs CDP. I am wondering what you think of the strategy to link it to a Hélène DAC. Will it replace the perceived harshness with your DAC in place of its internal DAC? Or am I heading away from the problem instead of treating it directly by replacing this player?
The review I read of the Hélène speaks of its transparency and full dynamic range. Am I going to get more of the same as I have now if I connect my player to this DAC for conversion duty? Or a marvelous solution?
Thanks so much for sharing your views.
Sincerely
John

If I may offer my view. I know the Esoteric K-01 very well, but not your exact model. and had the K-01 in my system some time ago. The classic Esoteric sound is solid and detailed. Bass weight and soundstage is better than many DS DACs. The detail however comes at a price, and to my ears sounds synthetic and sterile. If it is sat in a revealing system it won't work so well.

The Kassandra and the Helena DACs are just as detailed, but crucially are super smooth and artefact free. They nail the timbre and sound so natural, you will end up playing music much louder than before I find. It is partly the R2R architecture, the tube gain stage and the clean power supply. Also the lack of any digital filter or upsampling. So yes, the addition of a Helena will transform your system for sure, I would say 100% go for it.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello John

I firmly believe that you will really like what Helene will do to your system.Die hard analog fans are now "digitally" converted with Helene as it happens with all our d/acs.

Best
Stavros

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Saudi Arabia
Hello John

I firmly believe that you will really like what Helene will do to your system.Die hard analog fans are now "digitally" converted with Helene as it happens with all our d/acs.

Best
Stavros
Thank you Stavros.
How would you differentiate the Hélène from the Kassandra II DAC?
My friend Sami Ksouri often talks positively about the results of his purchase from you and how pleased he is with that DAC.
What are the key differences please?
John

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello John

The Helene is very close to Gen 1 Kassandra II units,the Gen 1 was the Kassandra generation which got all the reviews and awards from 2014 till today.The Helene is very close to this sound. The Gen2 (Sami has Gen 2) has even wider stage and even bigger scale (if the rest of the system can follow up,usually the Helene brings all systems we tried it so far to it's dynamic limits and scale limits).

If you compare them side to side,the Kassandra Gen2 has the edge to all aspects,but if you do not hear them in same system,i don't think you can tell which is which.

Best
Stavros

nonesup

Feb 16, 2017
Spain
From what date did version 2 of Kassandra ll begin to be marketed?

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
It was not marketed but rather an upgrade. Units from 4/19 had the upgrade,which we offer for free ,if unit is returned to factory.

Upgrade is also available for all Series,Sig and Le.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing