On the subject of tweaks!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ching Cheng. Are the power cables used with tube or SS. Are the amps high power or low power. Are the cables plugged into a wall or conditioner. Are dedicates circuits at the rack or general power. I think all this will impact ones perception of a power cable.

How many people have used a CC for some amount of time, then gravitated away after 6 months to a year.

Racks.
I don't call a rack a tweak. Its more a system component. We all know they affect sound. But racking selection is such an expansive black hole. I don't see a one size fits all. Tima makes SRA sound great, but do they really look at every brand and every model and design the optimum shelf for each. It seems to me racking (and footers) has a lot of trial and error. You hope your dealer has access to many brands and has sat all components they carry on all types and determined what works best for each piece.

I can see how math calculations taking into account say transformer vibrations at this frequency or a chip at another, so a particular type of material or layering of material will shunt the vibration. But wait, did the owner use stock feet or stillpoints. What foot did the manufacturer use, rubber, sorbothane, silicone. And what real impact to the sonics is perceived by the ear when science says this will get rid of that vibration. Do we like it. And that sucking of a certain frequency, how does it affect all other frequency. Do we perceive that too.

I don't like the high power SS and Wilson/Magico sound. My friends don't like my SET horn sound. So what does your dealer like as he tunes to a sound. Because really, isn't that what were doing. Tuning to a sound we like

I would assume with enough time and money, one could "tweak" there way into the perfect blend of stuff to support their foundation pieces of equipment. I'm pretty happy myself. Could it be better, absolutely. There is no doubt I have not found optimum. Nor would I have a way of knowing I'm there. Because every time I change something the sound changes. And it could be better, or worse, or lateral.

Just thoughts, no particular point.
I have had Ching Cheng in my system over 3 years now, and have occasionally gone back to other cables, partly for confirmation, and partly because i did only have 6 of them to begin with, with dual power supplies on phono and 4 cables for my power-amps i was short. After securing enough CC cables for all my sources, and future quad amping i have no intention of trying out much more expensive, often more colored cables. Is it the perfect cable for me ? Who knows ? :oops: It does everything i need a cable to do, low noise, no frequency bumps or dips, at a reasonable price. My speakers are adjustable if i need it, but are currently set at neutral on all settings.:)

Reactions: PeterA

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
... it's really not. Science is really only the objective and impartial study of the unknown. That doesn't fit into building something with known information.
I think there is a difference between scientific research and applied science. Both use science to reach their goal.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Ching Cheng. Are the power cables used with tube or SS. Are the amps high power or low power. Are the cables plugged into a wall or conditioner. Are dedicates circuits at the rack or general power. I think all this will impact ones perception of a power cable.

How many people have used a CC for some amount of time, then gravitated away after 6 months to a year.

I have about 6 to 8 CC cords that I got from ddk a couple years or so ago. I used them for many months before moving on. I felt they were bested by DIY cords that I assembled. I still have the CC's. They do a good job of not creating soundstage collapse, as many or most garden variety power cords do (including all "hospital grade" cords I've tried). But they also impart a coloration in the form of a notable softness that results in a sameness from record to record, which my preferred cords do not. The CC cords do fine in powering my TT motor controllers.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I have about 9 Ching Cheng PC's in my from end components and have for the past 5-6 years and love them . My system is all tubes including my amps. My personal experience was the only down side of these PC's was less than adequate bass response. As a result I do use different PC's for my amps. The only other concern I had using them with my amps was an audible hum which drove me crazy. It improved somewhat with cheater plugs (which I am loathe to use on power amps). The hum disappeared with the new power cords. This was not a ground loop hum but sound from the transformers on my amp power supplies

Interesting! Goes to show the power cable can be seen as part of the power trafo, which also explains why "the last few feet" can make such a big difference. It's likely the MUCH higher resistance of molded plugs causes some voltage sag and if it's not identical from hot to neutral would also cause a DC offset.

Lots of people pay big $ for NOS rectifiers to achieve the level of voltage sag they enjoy, I see a similarity here with CC cables. It's impossible to argue they are technically better in terms of materials, contact resistance, electrical characteristics or really any objective criteria, but that doesn't mean that this poor objective performance doesn't equate to a subjective preference in some cases. You could say the same about SS vs tube rectification in terms of sag, but some enjoy sag in amps as well as power supplies for field coil drivers.

Reactions: wil and dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing