OpenReelRecords : new title on the market ...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
A lot of customer ask about analog recording and duplication chain; we are preparing a page on the website, in the meanwhile just some details ... we duplicate in a production studio in Milano, Italy.

We use a Studer A-812 as source master, that distribute via a Studer 169 mixer to a bank of Studer A-807 as recorder. We have tested a lot of configuration and the one selected is for us the best to ensure the optimal analogic chain result.

The Studer 169 mixer in the production room is the twin of the one we use on stage to record the sessions; on stage we use microphone Shoeps MTSC 6 MK4, Schoeps BLM 3, Shoeps CMC6 MK 21, Shoeps CMC6 MK 2s and others.

We use two unit micro preamplifier MILLENNIA Media HV*3D that via Studer 169 and a Telcom C4 unit go to a Nagra T.

We use RMG SM 900 tapes with reference flux of 320 nWb, with CCIR equalization.

while having a wide selection of microphones , about thirty , we use minimal recordings setup in amazing acoustic environments. The signal in this way will not be changed by artificial compressor, limiter or reverb unit.

320 nWb/m is pretty hot. Not a lot of Tape Project subscribers have facilities to adjust gain or even have MRL tapes to calibrate. You might to do them at 250 to reach a wider audience.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
320 nWb/m is pretty hot. Not a lot of Tape Project subscribers have facilities to adjust gain or even have MRL tapes to calibrate. You might to do them at 250 to reach a wider audience.

I don't think it's a problem. Starting in the 70s, most RTRs have been calibrated for a 250 nWb/m operating level (0VU=250) and most decks today are calibrated the same. A 320 nWb/m operating level is only 2 dB higher than 250, which means the OpenReelRecords tapes will occasionally peak at +2 VU. That extra 2dB will not come remotely close to clipping/overloading any RTR playback amp. No need to readjust gain or recalibrate with a MRL tape. Any tape deck out there should easily play back the OpenReelRecords tapes. I say buy and play with confidence!

OpenReelRecords

Feb 22, 2015
The RMGI SM-900 we use are high thickness archival-quality tapes that require an effective magnetization to exploit their full dynamic range ; we record as per specifications below indicated 320 nWb/m .

The concept of "saturating" a studio master is not very common , we are very careful with levels so +7dB or +9dB of headroom are the same ; we preferred to transfer these levels of magnetization also on the distribution master for our clients , so they can enjoy the same beautiful dynamic that we have in our reference monitor !

In any case Tapetech , whom we thank for the punctual clarification, is right +2dB is a very confidence level to afford for the playback pre, if this mean more detail on the lower level magnetization.

You can buy and play without problems our tapes on machines low calibrated at 250 NWB/m and enjoy our vibrant and beatiful music !

Spec-Sheets-&-Bias-Chart/RMGI_SM_900.pdf

sm_900.jpg

OpenReelRecords

Feb 22, 2015
Hi Leif, the rediscovered Vivaldi's magnificient Nisi Dominus will be ready for shipping for the next weekend; we are waiting the last translation of the "Listening Notes", therefore we send quickly booklet for printing, the remaining the material is ready.

Nisi Dominus
Sara Mingardo

opus_sara_mingardo_accademia_astrusi_nisi_dominus_vivaldi.jpg sara_mingardo.jpg main.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't think it's a problem. Starting in the 70s, most RTRs have been calibrated for a 250 nWb/m operating level (0VU=250) and most decks today are calibrated the same. A 320 nWb/m operating level is only 2 dB higher than 250, which means the OpenReelRecords tapes will occasionally peak at +2 VU. That extra 2dB will not come remotely close to clipping/overloading any RTR playback amp. No need to readjust gain or recalibrate with a MRL tape. Any tape deck out there should easily play back the OpenReelRecords tapes. I say buy and play with confidence!

The RMGI SM-900 we use are high thickness archival-quality tapes that require an effective magnetization to exploit their full dynamic range ; we record as per specifications below indicated 320 nWb/m .

The concept of "saturating" a studio master is not very common , we are very careful with levels so +7dB or +9dB of headroom are the same ; we preferred to transfer these levels of magnetization also on the distribution master for our clients , so they can enjoy the same beautiful dynamic that we have in our reference monitor !

In any case Tapetech , whom we thank for the punctual clarification, is right +2dB is a very confidence level to afford for the playback pre, if this mean more detail on the lower level magnetization.

You can buy and play without problems our tapes on machines low calibrated at 250 NWB/m and enjoy our vibrant and beatiful music !

was just a suggestion. i've never used SM900. thanks for the schooling! :rolleyes:

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
this is very exciting!
I ll have a listen to my friends Enrico Dindo cello tape next weekend, when he comes over to get his A810 recapped and rewired....
best
Leif

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I listened to the two OpenReel tapes I have last night.

The Vivaldi Cello tape is really, really fine. Being taped in a live concert, you do hear the typical noises of a classical music concert, a few coughs and paper rustling between movements, and even the audience begins applauding before the last notes fade to complete silence. However, this gives you even more sense of being at the event itself. The tonal qualities and dynamics of the instruments are spot on and you feel the energy of the players. There are three short concerti on the tape (about 10 minutes each). The first is a concerto grosso (no solo instrument), the second is a cello concerto, and the third is a 2 cello concerto.

The second album is the Beethoven Waldstein Sonata and the last movement of a Brahms Piano Sonata played by young pianist Eduard Kunz. Again recorded at a live concert. Here I have a comparison. Ed Pong (UltraAnalogue) also has released a tape of the Waldstein done at a live concert at his home. Kunz plays with fabulous technique and the audience is quieter than in the Vivaldi tape (different venue also). As with really fine piano recordings, the dynamic range is spectacular, so when the piano has a sudden fortissimo, it is startling. Comparing the two tape, there is less warmth and ambience in the OpenReel tape than in Ed's tapes. I am guessing that this is a result of the difference in the rooms. Also, because it is a piano, you get an image that is piano size, not orchestral size (which is sometimes not true if the piano is really closely mic'd).

Glad I have both tapes, but the Vivaldi is my favorite if I had to choose one. With the Euro down, the price in USD, even including shipping and insurance from Italy, was just under $300 per tape. Both tapes are one reel, running about 30 minutes each. That compares with Ed Pong's and Bob Attiyeh's (Yarlung) which are also one reel each. Tape Project, Opus3 and some others are two reels, so can be as long as 60+ minutes.

Larry

OpenReelRecords

Feb 22, 2015
We are engaged to release a tape more or less every two months, in this days is out the rediscovered Vivaldi's magnificient Nisi Dominus.

You will find every detail about the title at this link Nisi Dominus.

Sara Mingardo, one of the rare voices of true contralto of today's music scene, was directed by Claudio Abbado, Sir Colin Davis, Riccardo Muti, Jordi Savall, Jeffrey Tate and many others; find all details at this link

Sara won the Grammy Award for best classical album in 2002

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
2 days from Italy!
waiting at the local DHL checkpoint 5 minutes from home
super service
saw jim.i s copy and the whole box and all shines high quality stuff!
really looking fw to listening to them
best
Leif

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
whow! this is finished like an Italian sportscar with impeccable Pininfarina design and exquisite finish and detailing
2015-04-22 18.20.25.jpg

nobody does this like Italians! beautifully finished glossy acrylic covers
2015-04-22 18.21.06.jpg

here the other mastertape suppliers have a lot to learn...
superb glossy paper booklet with all relevant documentation both in text and pictures
absolutely superb
2015-04-22 18.45.17.jpg

2015-04-22 18.45.44.jpg

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
Mingardo on now. There is only one word to describe it; Fantastico!

First, I have never heard this piece of music before, it`s beautiful. And the sound is gorgeous; clear, natural with a great low end fundament. The voice is fantastic! And as last time, and also as Leif is saying, the cover and the package is reference, look to Italy how to do it!

I also want to point out the service from OR, also reference! Looking very much forward to your next step and releases. Keep it up!

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Anyone into tape, these are a must!

Excellent all the way around... from recording, music, to package, & shipping. FIRST CLASS!
Well done,:D

Thank You,

Gary

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
listening to Mingardo now, and its got a very clean, rich and well balanced sound with proper weight
beautiful harmonics and extremely pleasant to listen to
my extreme midbass and subhorns present the full weight of the performance without in any way overshadowing the fantastic voice of this fantastic performance

2015-04-23 20.52.18.jpg

OpenReelRecords

Feb 22, 2015
While sales of the first titles are going very well, we are preparing the new release of May, the debut on tape of a splendid Italian voice that offer a tribute to American folk music .

Erica says “... this album is an homage to american music, the music I’ve been loving and singing for the past 15 year. The music that has made me the artist I’m, the person I’m. Recording it live has been an exciting, incredible experience ! It gives the album a special something I particularly love because it sounds fresh and authentic like the simple and genuine spirits from which this music origined ...”

Erica Opizzi - Wildwood Flowers

Next week we'll be back here with news on Monaco High-End show, this year we go as trade visitors !

Wildwood Flowers.jpg Erica Opizzi.jpg Erica on stage.jpg

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
^^^ Best of luck! OpenReelrecords' effort has been well-received, here. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing