Opinions on Alexia with Dartzeel 108?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I heard a pair of Alexia with Esoteric amp and McIntosh preamp. Not the best combo, but I could really tell there was more to the speaker than what I was hearing. Has anyone tried or is using Dartzeel on Wilson Alexia. Specs seem like it would be a good combo. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm using Pass monoblocs and I thought I'd be wishing for more power. I've got all I need! I didn't say I've got all I want though!! ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Joe,

What amps do you use on your Cornwall IIIs?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It will not work. The Alexias are as tought a load as Sashas, and my darTZeel was not able to drive them properly.

Get Magicos Q3 or Rockport Aviors instead.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It will not work. The Alexias are as tought a load as Sashas, and my darTZeel was not able to drive them properly.

+1 on this one.

Plus, you'll be getting much better speakers.

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hey Joe,

What amps do you use on your Cornwall IIIs?

I forgot to put these in my sig but I use modified ASL Wave Monos with 8 wpc. and the Carver Black Magic 20 wpc amps mainly. The Dart works wonderfully too and I have yet to receive the EAR amp and preamp.

I'm think Magico Q1's possibly and ultimately Raidho D2 or D3. Any thoughts on them.

+1 on this one.

Plus, you'll be getting much better speakers.

alexandre

Alexandre,

I love my Dartzeel and will never get rid of it.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm think Magico Q1's possibly and ultimately Raidho D2 or D3. Any thoughts on them.

I forgot about the Raidho. IMO those are great speakers. Try both and see which one do you like better.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012

Elberoth,

I don't understand how you recommend Aviors when you just told me yesterday via PM that you never heard them?

Rick

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes, based on the auditioning of other Rockports. Rockports are very even sounding across the range so I assume the Aviors will be as good.

IMO the Aviors, Q3s and Raidhos are the speakers one should audition when shopping in $30-40k price range.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

I don't know how you can say this. My Pass amps put out the same as the DartZeel and the Alexia's can play as loud as I want in my room without sounding congested. MikeL was over the other day listening to them.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I did like what I heard from the Rockports. The Raidhos too, even though I only heard the bookshelf, but was very impressed by it, even with inferior electronics.

But I just can't find any significant experience of the pairing Rockport+darTZeel.

I do know for a fact that the 108 + Magico Q3 is just peachy, and, so far, unbeatable here!

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I don't know how you can say this. My Pass amps put out the same as the DartZeel and the Alexia's can play as loud as I want in my room without sounding congested. MikeL was over the other day listening to them.

8/4 Ohm readings only tell half of the story. Your Pass amps have much greater current capability than the darTZeel. darTZeel is not comfortable driving sub 2 Ohm speakers. Been there, tried that.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Within the ohm rating that the Dartzeel is comfortable, they can be magic. But I do believe that the Alexia are a tougher load than the Dartzeel likes to drive. A few friends LOVE the Alexia and D'Agostino combo.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
From my experience, darTZeel can comfortably drive the speakers that do not dip under 2-2.2 Ohms. I got a friend who uses darTZeel to drive his Wilson Maxx 2 (min imp 2.25 Ohm) - and it sounds great. Sashas on the other hand, with their punishing load (1.8 Ohm minimum + some tough phase angles), are too much for the darTZeel.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
From Stereophile’s Dartzeel-NHB-108 review:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dartzeel-nhb-108-model-one-power-amplifier-measurements
Clipping occurs quite abruptly, but the amplifier easily exceeds its specified 100Wpc/20dBW output power. I measured 160W into 8 ohms(22dBW), 230W into 4 ohms (20.6dBW), but 162W into 2 ohms (16.1dBW). The manufacturer strongly recommends using the Lo setting if the amplifier is to be used with low impedances. However, the amplifier then delivers significantly lower power at clipping—43W into 8 ohms(16.3dBW), 68W into 4 ohms (15.3dBW), and 95W into 2 ohms (13.75dBW)—with no reduction in low-power THD.

Here's another no negative feedback amp reviewed/tested byStereophile, which would be a better match for the Alexia:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/aesthetix-atlas-power-amplifier-measurements
With clipping defined as 1% THD, the Atlas comfortablyexceeded its specified output power with both channels driven: fig.4 shows that it clipped at 318W into 8 ohms (25dBW), 535W into 4 ohms (24.3dBW), and, withone channel driven, at 760W into 2 ohms (22.8dBW).

The Atlas is now available in a Signature version or monos for less $$$ than the NHB-108.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Dan. I've been looking at them for years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing