Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Curious about one thing. I love not having to switch inputs for DSD/PCM and I have to watch for expectation bias. But there seemed to be way less difference between DSD and PCM. Not sure if PCM is way better or DSD lost something or was it the fact I wasn’t manually switching inputs to play one or the other. But I really used to notice the difference between the two. I guess I can put a playlist of same songs in both DSD and PCM and see what I hear later.
Congrats on your new Pacific!
Regarding DSD vs PCM reading others impressions as well my personal case is that Lampi made a massive step up in terms of PCM playback and hence you hear what you hear.
Which tubes are you running in it?

Have fun and enjoy it anyhow.

Cheers;
G

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
So just got my new Pacific today which was nice surprise. It was a bit sad to start to pack up the GG and some sudden buyer’s remorse. Maybe I should have stay with the copper top and not go gold. Maybe I should have gone balanced like my GG was instead of SE like the Pacific is. Etc etc. This is my 3 Lampi. It’s amazing to me how much progress Lampi has made with producing a polished product and nothing to do with the sound.

No serious listening yet. Just some easy to listen to music. Reality is my system has undergone a ton of changes and more changes to come. Right now it is more of headphone listening setup than anything. In any case, I noticed right away that Pacific seemed to convey much more energy. Tamacun by Rodrigo Y Gabriela came on. WOW, that got my attention. It was pretty amazing.

Curious about one thing. I love not having to switch inputs for DSD/PCM and I have to watch for expectation bias. But there seemed to be way less difference between DSD and PCM. Not sure if PCM is way better or DSD lost something or was it the fact I wasn’t manually switching inputs to play one or the other. But I really used to notice the difference between the two. I guess I can put a playlist of same songs in both DSD and PCM and see what I hear later.

In any case, hopefully more time this weekend to do some more critical listening. But more likely going to let burn in happen and try to reserve observations before then.
Congrats! What rectifier and power tubes are you using in your Pac?

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Congrats! What rectifier and power tubes are you using in your Pac?

I actually have a boat load of tubes to try For both output and rectifiers. For now I am using the rk px25 and rk54ug.

questions:

1) which setting should we275a be at?
2) which setting for 2a3? I have a ton of different ones. Worth trying?
3) the 6n6p tube: do we know which is included? I see it is a military tube with okt label. I have buddy who is little dot amp crazy and he recommended a few to try. They are so cheap, I went crazy on eBay earlier. foton, nevz, red tips, 60,70,80. Hell I almost bought a 100 pack.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I think Lampi dropped 2A3 support some time ago. So the Pac doesn't do it.

My ultra massively modded Lampi Big 7 does it, though. But TBH my 2A3 collection could do with some work. I only have cheap Psvane and Electro H options. Though the gold grid Electro Harmonix does sound surprisingly good for its cost. Definitely not top league, though.

Pst... it's OTK.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
1) never heard anybody using we275a so maybe best to check with Lampi directly
2) 2a3 not usable in Pac so better avoid plugging it in
3)6n6p as used in Pac I’m not really sure it influences the sound at all as used as active anode load but if you have many just swap and write your impressions. I have few at hand as using them in my ARC gear instead of 6n30 - have some 6n6p with silver screen and apparently those are very good/best

Cheers,
G

Last edited:

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
1) never heard anybody using we275a so maybe best to check with Lampi directly
2) 2a3 not usable in Pac so better avoid plugging it in
3)6n6p as used in Pac I’m not really sure it influences the sound at all as used as anode follower but if you have many just swap and write your impressions. I have few at hand as using them in my ARC gear instead of 6n30 - have some 6n6p with silver screen and apparently those are very good/best

Cheers,
G

thanks for the info.

i used the we275a with the GG. I forget but someone was pushing them for GG at some point.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Hmmm. Sounds like I need to bring a pair of 242’s in house. I see there is both a KR and RK version. Any reason one vs. the other?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hmmm. Sounds like I need to bring a pair of 242’s in house. I see there is both a KR and RK version. Any reason one vs. the other?

I first had the regular 242 in my (ex-)GG1.9 and they were the perfect match :cool:

Later (with my Pacific) I got the RK 242 and gave away the regular ones, so not a direct comparison, then :oops:

But from memory, I would say the regular 242 is a little more "brutally" transparent with a little more gain and the RK 242 is a bit more refined and has a tad less gain. This is with a pinch of salt, obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow and Golum

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
For the rectifier I use the Special Edition
RK-KR 5U4G

i also have a pair of the Special Edition RK-KR PX25 and have yet to use them as the standard KR242 is killer in my system

FFS just plug them in man! How hard is that?

Get with the Lampi spirit. It's ALL about adventure!;)

You don't know what you've got. Really.

Reactions: howiebrou

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
What do you guys use to polish the top of the pacific? I have used a dry cotton rag and microfiber rag but I can't seem to get rid of the "marks" left by the shrink wrap that it came wrapped in during shipping.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What do you guys use to polish the top of the pacific? I have used a dry cotton rag and microfiber rag but I can't seem to get rid of the "marks" left by the shrink wrap that it came wrapped in during shipping.
I asked Lukasz and he suggested ethanol or lens cleaner solution. I am.having a similar problem getting rid of fingerprints and a bit of tarnishing.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Sorry, I’ve been out of the loop for awhile. You decided to order a Pacific. Congratulations.
Curious what your thoughts are.
I ordered mine with a copper top, a last second change. No residue, no clean-up, and no tarnish.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Sorry, I’ve been out of the loop for awhile. You decided to order a Pacific. Congratulations.
Curious what your thoughts are.
I ordered mine with a copper top, a last second change. No residue, no clean-up, and no tarnish.
Doesn't copper tarnish more quickly than gold?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Doesn't copper tarnish more quickly than gold?
Nope in this case as it’s lacquered and hance protected - isn’t this the case also with gold top?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing