Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks. I have a bunch to try including Tak 300Bs, Tesla AD1s and RD27AS. Right now I just letting it burn it.
Congrats David! Very much looking fw to read about your tube rolling especially Teslas...

Enjoy your new toy!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
My Pacific was just delivered and I have it hooked up and playing.

I was unable to get any sound via USB. Does the Pacific require that power is passed via USB? My Big 7 did not but maybe this is different.

Ethernet is working fine using it as a Roon endpoint but I would like to get USB up and running.

Welcome to Pacific family:)

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the "club."

I don't know how long it will take to burn it but I plan on running it even when not listening for the first couple of days.

Can someone remind me what heater setting is recommended for the RD27AS? I recall people using the 101D setting for the Tesla AD1s.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I believe people use 101D on a Pac.

But a real WE 101D is 4V 1A but RD is 4V 2 to a max of 2.3V.

So 4 Watts versus 9.2.

I am really unsure how well the Pac drives that heater!

Can someone put a meter on the heater pins and tell us all how close to 2-2.3A it gets?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I believe people use 101D on a Pac.

But a real WE 101D is 4V 1A but RD is 4V 2 to a max of 2.3V.

So 4 Watts versus 9.2.

I am really unsure how well the Pac drives that heater!

Can someone put a meter on the heater pins and tell us all how close to 2-2.3A it gets?

How would I measure this? Put one probe on each of the 2 heater pins for each tube separately? Please be specific.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
If you are measuring 2 Amps and you are unsure how then it's probably not a good idea to do it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
If you are measuring 2 Amps and you are unsure how then it's probably not a good idea to do it.

If you are referring to me I am asking how to actually measure it. I have measure d amperage in an amp so I am not concerned about killing myself or messing up the equipment.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My contact says it should be easy to do if you buy Bubble uPNP and then use cellphone to control music coming from a server. If you are not comfortable and want stressless implementation, he could do it for you for $80 including the purchase of the Bubble app. It normally would cause $105, but I told him you were a pal. The beauty of the approach is you get to meet a linux head that you can use as a resource later on if needs fr for more services or even free advice.

Let me know either way.

Thanks for checking this out for me. What I have subsequently learned is that Euphony/Stylus has bridged Ethernet capabilities and natively supports UPnP so I can just “flip a switch” and it will recognize the Pacific via Ethernet and I don’t even need to connect the Pacific to a switch.

On a side note, I am surprised more people haven’t given Euphony a spin. It sounds great and has tons of features. Unlike Windows, it isn’t bogged down with all the extra services running which affect the sound.

Reactions: adamaley

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Congrats David, great dac!

Should really compliment your analog nicely.

Thanks Mike. There was a huge gap between my analog and digital setups which I have hopefully narrowed with a new server/power supply and the Pacific.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It is very easy to do. I just did it.

Raise the tube in the adaptor like the picture below.

IMG_20200811_164152.jpg

Set meter as below. Black lead in Com, red in 10A or whatever you meter has that is higher than 2A. Set to DC.

IMG_20200811_164100.jpg

From https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_px25.html you know the f (filament) pins are opposite each other. So there are only two possible pairs to try. Be careful to touch only two opposing pins. The one with the current reading anywhere near 2A is the one you want. The pair that read virtually nothing isn't.

I just got 1.75 amps reading mine. A little short but an honest reading which is important. It floats around that figure a bit.

Shame I couldn't hold the probes and take a pic, sorry.

I am NOT using a Pac. My DAC is no longer a Lampi, really.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I just did the same with an Osram PX25 and got 1.8A on average.

Here are my switch positions:

IMG_20200811_170634.jpg

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
David, congrats on getting the Pacific! Enjoy. It has really upped the digital side of my system. Larry

Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome to the "club."

I don't know how long it will take to burn it but I plan on running it even when not listening for the first couple of days.

Can someone remind me what heater setting is recommended for the RD27AS? I recall people using the 101D setting for the Tesla AD1s.
Rd setting is PX25 - maybe that is the 101d - can’t remember but you have my post i believe in tube rolling thread with exact values and positions

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Tesla AD1n comes in at 1.8A too.

So come on Pac pussies. Post your readings!

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What footers have people settled on? Right now I am just using the 3 cylindrical feet. I haven't tried the spiked footers yet.

My Pacific is sitting on an HRS platform so I don't think I need to really do much. Just curious.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
What footers have people settled on? Right now I am just using the 3 cylindrical feet. I haven't tried the spiked footers yet.

My Pacific is sitting on an HRS platform so I don't think I need to really do much. Just curious.
Mine is just sitting directly on my SRA platform. I haven't really mucked around with footers yet.

Reactions: dminches

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Sitting on Finite Elemente cera ball footers on Finite spider rack so i never used those Stacore original footers

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
so you never compared with and without?
Nope / as i have to use Cera ball footers by default on my Spider rack - no other way

Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing