Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Guys I really do like you both, but please go for a beer/fish&chips/curry and discuss things you have to discuss as this ping pong is kind of pointless and disturbing for many ;).
Thanks for understanding
I do love fish and chips and sashimi and a Goan curry would be awesome but I must admit I did hurt my neck following the ping pong on this one too closely.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Golum

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
To be honest I also prefer the real ping-pong game . It is also because I have beaten Ked 2:1 who was a demanding partner though;)
Finally Grandpa Mario won ;):)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Biting Ked is not a good idea... Goan curry is more spicy!

Reactions: bonzo75 and marslo

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be honest I also prefer the real ping-pong game . It is also because I have beaten Ked 2:1 who was a demanding partner though;)
Finally Grandpa Mario won ;):)

Did you not give me wine before game?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I finally got around to trying a pair of RK 242 in my Pac. Can't say that either of my preamps overloaded, but I just prefer the sound of the RK PX25 in my system.
So, I will let this pair go if someone wants them. About 70 hrs. on the clock. Send a PM if interested. Due to ongoing shipping challenges, US only please, unless you can endure the risk.
Greg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I finally got around to trying a pair of RK 242 in my Pac. Can't say that either of my preamps overloaded, but I just prefer the sound of the RK PX25 in my system.
So, I will let this pair go if someone wants them. About 70 hrs. on the clock. Send a PM if interested. Due to ongoing shipping challenges, US only please, unless you can endure the risk.
Greg

Check with Jazzhead. He was looking for one. Will tell him to contact you. But he is outside US. Btw, RK 242 is different from KR 242. In fact all RK and KR have their own characteristics

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks Ked. So maybe I'll need to score some KR242 as well.
The RK 242 and RK PX25 aren't too different in dynamics, but tonally I found a difference. The RK 242 have more of an upper mid-range presence and the RK PX25 being more grounded in the lower mids. This is with the Allnic L9000 OTL/OCL which is quite dynamic on its own. This pre really continues to impress and I might just have to keep it. I've had it 5 weeks now and has finally settled in. The first couple weeks were a bit bright.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I meant that RK vs KR for the same valve (242, PX25, 300b), will be different. So if you tried RK PX25, you will need to try KR PX25 as well

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Well, I have (3) pair of KR PX25 coming in next week! Finally.

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Greg
Give them some more hours before you finally decide

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Funny that you ask. I went looking for that same thing last week. All I found was that it is low. I guess it should be pretty low as you can drive an amplifier directly form the DAC.

Maybe someone know the exact output impedance.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
Funny that you ask. I went looking for that same thing last week. All I found was that it is low. I guess it should be pretty low as you can drive an amplifier directly form the DAC.

Maybe someone know the exact output impedance.

haha I was assuming it was high since tube output. But knowing the impedence for both se and balanced would be great

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
If there is no data in the supplied tech spec then LF only for that info...

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Here is what the manual says. So given that you want the outputimpedance about 20X lower than the input of the next device perhaps it is pretty high at maybe 1KOhm.

The DAC with volume control should sound audibly cleaner and more direct without any preamp between the DAC and the amp. The preamp, however good, will veil a lot of the DAC’s natural clarity, speed and directness. If you feel you need the preamp nevertheless, use DAC at the full volume or order your DAC without volume module. The load presented by the preamp or amp or simply the next analog component that the DAC sees, should be as high as possible. It is measured in kilo-Ohms and 100Kilo Ohms is a perfect ballpark value. More is VERY rarely seen. 47 K is next common value, and it is great too. 20 K is kind of on a low side, but we can handle that. Lower than 20k is bad news. We must configure the DAC with additional cathode follower buffer stage. The DAC will not be damaged in any way, but at around 10K of load the dynamics of the dac will start to fade away. Having said that - every properly designed amp or preamp keeps the load value above 40k. And if it doesn’t - we simply don’t choose such amp because it was not designed with audiophiles in mind.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lol such an old question you ask. It’s not low as less then 10 ohms it varies based on tubes you use. somewhere from 200 to 1500 ohms. it’s why I would not use a passive preamp. doing so just adds more to limit dynamics. not saying it’s like this for all but seems to be for me. how this helps. Why did you ask ?
Correction made

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Here is what the manual says. So given that you want the outputimpedance about 20X lower than the input of the next device perhaps it is pretty high at maybe 1KOhm.

The DAC with volume control should sound audibly cleaner and more direct without any preamp between the DAC and the amp. The preamp, however good, will veil a lot of the DAC’s natural clarity, speed and directness. If you feel you need the preamp nevertheless, use DAC at the full volume or order your DAC without volume module. The load presented by the preamp or amp or simply the next analog component that the DAC sees, should be as high as possible. It is measured in kilo-Ohms and 100Kilo Ohms is a perfect ballpark value. More is VERY rarely seen. 47 K is next common value, and it is great too. 20 K is kind of on a low side, but we can handle that. Lower than 20k is bad news. We must configure the DAC with additional cathode follower buffer stage. The DAC will not be damaged in any way, but at around 10K of load the dynamics of the dac will start to fade away. Having said that - every properly designed amp or preamp keeps the load value above 40k. And if it doesn’t - we simply don’t choose such amp because it was not designed with audiophiles in mind.
Don’t use the dac at full volume always. It’s far better to use the vol into pre to balance tone. you may find a sweet spot that gives speed and dynamics but tone or weight you need. If left wide open it’s thinner but best dynamics
most use this at 8/16 Higher numbers adds more weight Right up loss of some Dynamics. a good active pre yields better dynamics then a passive or no preamp. But while this is factual adjusting it is system dependent

Reactions: adamaley and Golum

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

I beg to disagree on the no preamp is better. If no premap is better there should be an under lying cause. Perhaps amp can’t produce enough power for a given speaker. adding a gain stage for me always seems to be a benefit not a loss. A vail is odd to me but again possible other causes here.

Reactions: adamaley

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing