Pacific dac: Lampizator's new top of the line dac

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
It is flexible
Pnp is one I use for j river
there are other thst can be used as well. each has its advantage to a point. the network input is a Linux based OS this is open source for anyone knowledgeable to program. reg noise it’s an extremely complex topic. a dac any dAc can be introduced to noise in many ways and many at the same time too. for one don’t have any wifi source less than 6 feet and even better out of the room. a router or access point or repeater are very bad while phones and tablets far less of an issue

Is there any documentation covering the network input? A Stylus endpoint is Linux-based as well.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I agree Steve less is more but for me being a tweeker I had to have lol. Ps I don’t use it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ps I don’t use it.

Precisely the reason I omitted it from my build. I had no desire to go down that rabbit hole when I loved what I was hearing with USB from my Pacific

Reactions: Alrainbow

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Does the Ethernet input in the Pacific only serve as a Roon endpoint? Can it be used with other software players?

I realize there are so many variables involving the data path from server to the Pacific, whether going to the USB input or Ethernet, but what have people concluded in terms of the difference in the sound?

I run Roon but prefer Euphony/Stylus. I wonder if the Ethernet input can be made into a Stylus endpoint as well. My network is highly tweaked so I would like to take advantage of it, if possible.

Hi David,

It uses the UpNP protocol (universal plug and play). You can send it anything from JRiver to the MP3s downloaded on your cellphone.

Best,

Fred A.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi David,

It uses the UpNP protocol (universal plug and play). You can send it anything from JRiver to the MP3s downloaded on your cellphone.

Best,

Fred A.

Thanks Fred. I am trying to figure out if it can work as an endpoint to Stylus.

No rush since I will use USB initially.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My Pacific was just delivered and I have it hooked up and playing.

I was unable to get any sound via USB. Does the Pacific require that power is passed via USB? My Big 7 did not but maybe this is different.

Ethernet is working fine using it as a Roon endpoint but I would like to get USB up and running.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

No rush since I will use USB initially.
My contact says it should be easy to do if you buy Bubble uPNP and then use cellphone to control music coming from a server. If you are not comfortable and want stressless implementation, he could do it for you for $80 including the purchase of the Bubble app. It normally would cause $105, but I told him you were a pal. The beauty of the approach is you get to meet a linux head that you can use as a resource later on if needs fr for more services or even free advice.

Let me know either way.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My Pacific was just delivered and I have it hooked up and playing.

I was unable to get any sound via USB. Does the Pacific require that power is passed via USB? My Big 7 did not but maybe this is different.

Ethernet is working fine using it as a Roon endpoint but I would like to get USB up and running.
what USB module does it have? Fred should be able to help U here.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Actually i was also curious if the 2020 pacifics needed 5v on usb. Help us Fred.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The answer is no.

So, the issue I was having is that the front knob selects the input (S/PDIF, AESEBU, USB, Ethernet). USB is #3. However, there are a couple different clicks that the knob can be in and it will still display #3. I felt like I was trying to open a safe in dialing in the input.

Now I am set.

Reactions: christoph

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The answer is no.

So, the issue I was having is that the front knob selects the input (S/PDIF, AESEBU, USB, Ethernet). USB is #3. However, there are a couple different clicks that the knob can be in and it will still display #3. I felt like I was trying to open a safe in dialing in the input.

Now I am set.

Congrats on the acquisition. May i ask what valves you are using in your pac?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Congrats on the acquisition. May i ask what valves you are using in your pac?

Thanks. I have a bunch to try including Tak 300Bs, Tesla AD1s and RD27AS. Right now I just letting it burn it.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks. I have a bunch to try including Tak 300Bs, Tesla AD1s and RD27AS. Right now I just letting it burn it.
Nice. Would love to hear your comparison of the Tak 300B and the RD27AS when you get the chance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing