Pass Labs XA-30.5 vs. 845 monoblocks

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I have the opportunity to pick up a Pass Labs XA-30.5 for a stellar price from a friend. I'd like a little input on the decision. I haven't had a chance to hear them in my rig yet, but hope to soon.

Right now I've got a very good sound with the 845's, but the bass can be a little sloppy/overpowering at times. I suspect the 30.5 would clean this up, but I have a fear that the sound may become a little more fatiguing - something I try hard to keep out of my rig.

Good bass articulation is not the 30.5's strongest area, in fact from what I have heard that is probably where the 30.8 offers the most improvement over the 30.5.

This is a tough one. Being a 2-way, your mid/woofer is sharing a lot of work so going with another amp might just take away a lot of what you like about your amps now. The first thing I always do is the free tweak. I'd try stuffing the port to see if the increase in internal air pressure could help. Dacron can be had at a craft store cheaply. The next would be to roll the input tubes. Top of mind would be a Tungsol GTB or a Sylvania, IOW "less tubby" 6sn7s. Everyone could use an great pair of extra tubes so no risk there. Climbing in price now would be the 300B driver tubes. Splurge on authentic WEs or their almost as good re-issues. If you don't like them they will be very easy to re-sell. Less expensive would be the 845 tubes themselves. KR's 845s come to mind if you are looking for new tubes that are very linear. Only after this would I personally go and spend on another amp. If of course you can manage a free home demo of the 30.x's, That would certainly be a no risk proposition. Changing 845 tubes would.

HTH and Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses. I received the Usher Mini X yesterday and after hooking them up to the monoblocks, I think I've almost completely forgotten about the 30.5 since. I'm going to focus on replacing my 6311's with the Mini X instead.

why dont you go for the Elrog 845 from Germany, then you´ll get a tighter, cleaner sound with 300B finesse, according to the rumours
best
Leif

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing